KoW - D.R.E.A.M.

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
King of Worms

Re: KoW - D.R.E.A.M.

Post by King of Worms »

Well there are 180 faces :D That would not be that easy (we can still do that tho, I have em at 8x resolution ready - hell, here they are just in case)
Faces.rar
(761.9 KiB) Downloaded 50 times

I went back to basics and tryed the good old xBRZ upscale, and the results are not THAT bad. Much better than AI and very consistent quality across the faces

So I can create a paperdolls looking like this (there will be some problematic faces for sure, but majority will work, and the problematic ones can be manually corrected)

The body outline can be created in a better way, but its quite complicated and Im still searching for a ideal setting, so ignore that for now...
But there will always be a dark outline around the body, unless something changes in the way its rendered.

Anyway, heres the comparison, Im open for feedback
paperdoll.jpg
paperdoll.jpg (516 KiB) Viewed 890 times
PS: as we can see the body is lighter than the face (and all the faces for this race are this dark) - so maybe it would be cool to make the body darker, to fit the faces? Its possible as every race has its own body... Or I can make the faces lighter, but that would be more problematic, 1st - lots of faces 2nd - dark hair will turn grey etc..

EDIT:

heres the test with a body matching the color of the heads, opinions? Im not that sure I like it, he looks like redguard :lol: But the original dark heads and white body is bad as well :roll:
test.jpg
test.jpg (229.32 KiB) Viewed 882 times

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Or a head color matching the body.. just a quick test
Spoiler!
test2.jpg
test2.jpg (225.73 KiB) Viewed 878 times

Adrinus

Post by Adrinus »

I think match the faces to the skintone, but I like the darker one... Drow need to be grey anyhow and some other color tweaks. The results look amazing! Like, obviously not perfect, but really quite a large improvement.

Depending on how much work you want to do on it, you could change the colors, and xBRZ the faces up for me, and I can finish them off.

Or, separate the bodies and heads into folders for me, xBRZ'd up, and I can do all the skin-tone leveling etc.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Adrinus wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:24 pm I think match the faces to the skintone, but I like the darker one... Drow need to be grey anyhow and some other color tweaks. The results look amazing! Like, obviously not perfect, but really quite a large improvement.

Depending on how much work you want to do on it, you could change the colors, and xBRZ the faces up for me, and I can finish them off.

Or, separate the bodies and heads into folders for me, xBRZ'd up, and I can do all the skin-tone leveling etc.
OK 1st pass will be upscales, than we decide on the colors laters
The heads and bodies are already separated in the game files.

So what I will do now is this:
- 1st I create all the bodies (thats using the AI and than manual input to "cut the out" from the black background)
- 2nd I xBRZ upscale all the heads.

That will be the base line. I think I send you the bunch of the files than. Because I will be pretty much exhausted. Its not that trivial. Plus lots of file renaming etc..

Adrinus

Post by Adrinus »

That's fine! Then from there I'll work on all the details, little fixes etc. As well as the faces. Together we'll smash this out! :)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Adrinus wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:22 pm That's fine! Then from there I'll work on all the details, little fixes etc. As well as the faces. Together we'll smash this out! :)
Theres still hope :lol:
For the faces, there are basically 4 options I can provide, tell me which suits you the best pls:

8x the base resolution (240 x 232 pixels)
1-0.PNG
1-0.PNG (4.89 KiB) Viewed 856 times
xBR 4x (120 x 116 pixels)
OutputImage1.png
OutputImage1.png (7.83 KiB) Viewed 856 times
xBR 4x repeat 2 (480 x 464 pixels)
OutputImage2.png
OutputImage2.png (54.62 KiB) Viewed 856 times
The last is the biggest, but thats a bit overkill size for the small head. I can reduce it to 50% after upscaling so the result will be 240 x 232 (so the same as 8x base)

Thats a 4th option (cant add it to this post so I need to make new one)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

xBR 4x repeat 2 scaled to 50%
OutputImage3.png
OutputImage3.png (57.62 KiB) Viewed 855 times
Yes, its getting already complicated... just download em, check it and pick one :)
I think either this one or 8x base. Im already confused...

EDIT: This one looks sharper ingame than the simple xBR 4x so I guess its either this or 8x base

Adrinus

Post by Adrinus »

I like xBRZ x4

EDIT: Just saw your edit, I can work with the larger x4 one too.

Just a quick once-over test:
Attachments
OutputImage1.png
OutputImage1.png (24.13 KiB) Viewed 844 times

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

looks cool, I think this is a good choice after all.
I made a quick test ingame, its on a wrong body and the size of the head is off - its a quick dirty test to see how the sharpness and details go with the body, and in this area, I think it fits quite well. Final head will be scalled smaller, thus a bit more sharp/detailed as a result

I will create the heads in this format than
Spoiler!
Dont be scared :lol:
01.jpg
01.jpg (91.81 KiB) Viewed 840 times

Adrinus

Post by Adrinus »

Nice! And obviously I'll clean up straight lines etc as needed. I'll always try to keep the exact same resolution you give me, but if it makes cleaning edges easier, can I resize the canvas without ill effects?