KoW - D.R.E.A.M.

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
BadLuckBurt

Re: KoW - D.R.E.A.M.

Post by BadLuckBurt »

Lanjane wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:12 pm I wonder what is the key factor in keeping this forum community sane, stable and grown up. My theory is that it's the "requires registration" thing. The more complex is the registration system, the less chance kids/trolls/ignorant people will join. On Nexus, there are literally a few clicks required to join and start spamming sick comments (which are mostly not moderated at all). And here... I bet they just get stuck on the "read terms and rules" section and go away ashamed :lol:
Who said we're sane? :lol: I don't think I ever read the terms and rules, I just use common sense whenever I sign up on a forum and start interacting. I think Daggerfall itself is enough to scare away the kind of people you mention, it's way too complex for their feeble minds so they just nope out.
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

Thanks for info MasonFace, sry I did not send u the front facing frames yet :oops:
That's okay, you can disregard my request. I don't think I want to pursue that experiment any further.

tundrowalker

Post by tundrowalker »

King of Worms wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:16 am
tundrowalker wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:33 pm KoW / InterKarma,

In dungeons & interiors, DREAM textures have normal / bump maps that are working fine to give textures extra depth.

Outside, thought, DREAM textures are flat.

Is this b/c the DREAM textures are missing normals, or b/c DFU is using a simplified lighting model for exteriors that doesn't process normals to reduce processing?
Outside, all town buildings have normals and much more... just the terrain has no normals.

Thats because terrain is handled differently and creating those maps for it was infuriating and for me impossible

Lacus made some terrain textures with normals, but they are too bright and unusable to me.

IF the normals implementation get somehow improved, Im more than willing to implement them, but not in a current state of things
Ok.

Hey, if you downloaded the 3 shader files I posted on Nexus.. download them again. I made a mistake in one (Bloom.fx I think) thinking a BUFFER_PIXEL_SIZE variable was a single float value when it's actually a float2 value. This variable was needed to sample textures in x / y fashion, so my calculations disregarding y meant it was borking up. I corrected it recently.

Also, if you benchmark, try looking 360 degrees around a scene and just press Home to see how the shader you're benchmarking is processing for a second or so.

After working on some shaders, I'll look one direction and performance looks great, then if I shift 90 degrees performance is worse. Can't remember which shader it was (ASCII.fx?), but I would get ~0.5ms in almost every direction, but when I looked W / SW in town it would spike to 10ms for some strange reason. So, benchmarking several views around seems to give a better idea of performance.

Here's the 3 shaders again..

https://github.com/ccritchfield/reshade ... Sharpen.fx
https://github.com/ccritchfield/reshade ... s/Bloom.fx
https://github.com/ccritchfield/reshade ... daption.fx

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Lanjana I agree its the registration but in my opinion its also the fact the forums can be considered underground and nexus is a main stream.

Its just that simple.

Ive seen it in my life many times. Underground is pure, than many ppl come, desacrate the whole thing, the original ppl leave disgusted and the whole thing is done. This will not happen with these forums anytime soon, as they are not that fancy, there are almost no pictures, no videos, just texts, registration and ignore buttons :lol:

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hey, if you downloaded the 3 shader files I posted on Nexus.. download them again. I made a mistake in one (Bloom.fx I think) thinking a BUFFER_PIXEL_SIZE variable was a single float value when it's actually a float2 value. This variable was needed to sample textures in x / y fashion, so my calculations disregarding y meant it was borking up. I corrected it recently.

Also, if you benchmark, try looking 360 degrees around a scene and just press Home to see how the shader you're benchmarking is processing for a second or so.

After working on some shaders, I'll look one direction and performance looks great, then if I shift 90 degrees performance is worse. Can't remember which shader it was (ASCII.fx?), but I would get ~0.5ms in almost every direction, but when I looked W / SW in town it would spike to 10ms for some strange reason. So, benchmarking several views around seems to give a better idea of performance.

Here's the 3 shaders again..

https://github.com/ccritchfield/reshade ... Sharpen.fx
https://github.com/ccritchfield/reshade ... s/Bloom.fx
https://github.com/ccritchfield/reshade ... daption.fx

Hi, I have not noticed in anywhere on nexus :) Will take a look, thanks!

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Lanjane wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:12 pm
King of Worms wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:24 pm Comunity at the forums here is golden, because its still small, full of ppl who are reasonable, friendly and knowledgeable.
Its good here, the DFU fortress.. outside.. not so much 😂
I wonder what is the key factor in keeping this forum community sane, stable and grown up. My theory is that it's the "requires registration" thing. The more complex is the registration system, the less chance kids/trolls/ignorant people will join. On Nexus, there are literally a few clicks required to join and start spamming sick comments (which are mostly not moderated at all). And here... I bet they just get stuck on the "read terms and rules" section and go away ashamed :lol:
I think a large part of this is Interkarma and the way he's set the tone here honestly. That and Daggerfall is mostly remembered by an older crowd, by the time the audience widened, that tone was cemented into a community.

Just my 2p. It's not like there's never been any drama here tho. :)
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Oh yea, the drama :lol: Anyway, I agree that the base stones set by Interkarma and the OG forum users indeed did its thing. Older crowd - yes. Thats quite a important aspect as well. Theres a fundamental difference between this place and Nexus, forums here are like a monastery, not so crowded, focused and calm. Outer world of the DFU project behind the walls is a bit different cup of tea. Im glad I did what I did, and I guess I feel like I might get back to some light work again, since Im not drained by it anymore.

A bit of problem is, that the work on DREAM has shifted from what I really enjoy (art) to more technical and tedious aspects. It happened with the Paperdoll project. Last push to make it somehow finalized sucked the life from me in terms of DFU modding. I might have listened to myself more, and never start that part. Also, the passion I had for the project took its tolls and I still try to heal one of my eyes, which is finally happening. I took it one step too far ;) So Im actually quite glad I managed to step back now

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Hazelnut wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:06 pm
Lanjane wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:12 pm
King of Worms wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:24 pm Comunity at the forums here is golden, because its still small, full of ppl who are reasonable, friendly and knowledgeable.
Its good here, the DFU fortress.. outside.. not so much 😂
I wonder what is the key factor in keeping this forum community sane, stable and grown up. My theory is that it's the "requires registration" thing. The more complex is the registration system, the less chance kids/trolls/ignorant people will join. On Nexus, there are literally a few clicks required to join and start spamming sick comments (which are mostly not moderated at all). And here... I bet they just get stuck on the "read terms and rules" section and go away ashamed :lol:
I think a large part of this is Interkarma and the way he's set the tone here honestly. That and Daggerfall is mostly remembered by an older crowd, by the time the audience widened, that tone was cemented into a community.

Just my 2p. It's not like there's never been any drama here tho. :)
Agreed, its the tone set by the longer term members, combined with the type of game it is, combined with how old it is. This creates a strong base expectation. Then you add in the hardcore nature of daggerfall compared to today's extremely forgiving mechanics in most games and that filters out more possibly immature carebares who get upset very easily when things go wrong. Then, you add in it being such a old game, and you tend to get older individuals like me dedicating their time to it because of the memories we have, not the flashy, fancy mechanics and graphics like newer games use to attract large player bases (no matter how toxic the people are they are attracting). That's been my experience; either way, community has been wonderful so thank you everyone.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

jimfcarroll

Post by jimfcarroll »

I'm hoping this is the right place to report two problems I've run across. The label on the "CONTROLS" menu that USED to be "sneak" is wrong. It used to be:
Capture3.PNG
Capture3.PNG (52.11 KiB) Viewed 1307 times
and now it's:
Capture4.PNG
Capture4.PNG (256.79 KiB) Viewed 1307 times
The second problem, which may have been noticed, is that, at least with the latest release 0.10.25, the Transport screen is no longer retextured.

If this isn't the place for one or the other of these, my apologies.

pango

Post by pango »

Hi,
jimfcarroll wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:02 am I'm hoping this is the right place to report two problems I've run across. The label on the "CONTROLS" menu that USED to be "sneak" is wrong
This one is a known issue
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart