KoW - D.R.E.A.M.

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Adrinus

Re: KoW - D.R.E.A.M.

Post by Adrinus »

King of Worms wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:09 pm And this is the image resizer, thats what I wanted to avoid. Because if u resize the image, u loose quality. I resized the canvas around the image, that way the quality is not compromised ;) I used that on things like 1st person weapons, sprites etc.. basically images which have a lot of empty space around them. So you either add or remove few pixels of that empty space, keeping the main image untouched.

Thanks for thinking about it tho, appreciated!
Ahh, I see. Then this bit of code might work: should resize the canvas but keep the image the same and centered.

Code: Select all

set size="120x116"
for %%f in (*.png) do convert %%f -background none -gravity center -extent %size% output/%%f
Of note, it requires you to have a folder named output, where it puts the finished files, in the same folder as the bat file with the above code.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thank you, fortunately this is already done, and I hope I will not do it again :)
IF the need arises, I will deffo use this solution

AmmoniumDichromate

Post by AmmoniumDichromate »

I'm back, here's what I got:
Spoiler!
So, I changed the desk texture, added a bit of roughness and crinkles to the paper, finally changed the text from a decal to a texture allowing it to be affected by those added crinkles and roughness, bottles now cast a transparent shadow that matches the bottle's color, lighting was changed in a manner that helped with some of the quirks in the reflections that previously required a bit of 2d manipulation to correct, fixed a stretched texture on the roll of paper to the right, rendered the whole thing at a much higher sample rate, and there's probably a few other minor changes not really worth mentioning or I've entirely forgotten.

I started making this simply to practice and have a bit of fun. I am very happy with what I've made in its current state, so I'm not gonna work on it any further. If anybody wants the blend file to make their own modifications, or perhaps to render it at a higher sample rate or resolution, then you can download it here:https://drive.google.com/uc?export=down ... wUbkgjOAGb (requires Blender 2.81). All the work I've presented thus far is free to use, modify, and distribute with absolutely no stipulations.

All that said, thanks for the input, it helped make something I can confidently cram away into my art portfolio.

Almainyny

Post by Almainyny »

I asked this on the mod page at the Nexus, but that doesn't seem to be terribly active, so I'll ask this here too. I understand that you recommend a graphics card with 4 GB of VRAM for this. However, I was wondering if it would be possible to play this mod at a smooth 60 FPS using a graphics card with 3 GB of VRAM by lowering some settings or something. While I will no doubt soon be playing Daggerfall Unity with or without this mod regardless, I'd very much love to play a Daggerfall that looks like it came out in 2019 rather than 1996. So, if you could tell me if such a thing is possible with this mod, I would greatly appreciate it.

Regardless of how well my computer may be able to run this mod, I want to say that this mod seems like a work of art judging by the screenshots. It takes an old game and gives it a new coat of paint in seemingly every single spot, with a great sense of aesthetics that matches the original design extremely well, in my opinion.

Adrinus

Post by Adrinus »

AmmoniumDichromate wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:16 am I'm back, here's what I got:
Spoiler!
So, I changed the desk texture, added a bit of roughness and crinkles to the paper, finally changed the text from a decal to a texture allowing it to be affected by those added crinkles and roughness, bottles now cast a transparent shadow that matches the bottle's color, lighting was changed in a manner that helped with some of the quirks in the reflections that previously required a bit of 2d manipulation to correct, fixed a stretched texture on the roll of paper to the right, rendered the whole thing at a much higher sample rate, and there's probably a few other minor changes not really worth mentioning or I've entirely forgotten.

All that said, thanks for the input, it helped make something I can confidently cram away into my art portfolio.
Thanks for the art! Up to KOW of course, but I love it.
Almainyny wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:21 am I asked this on the mod page at the Nexus, but that doesn't seem to be terribly active, so I'll ask this here too. I understand that you recommend a graphics card with 4 GB of VRAM for this. However, I was wondering if it would be possible to play this mod at a smooth 60 FPS using a graphics card with 3 GB of VRAM by lowering some settings or something. While I will no doubt soon be playing Daggerfall Unity with or without this mod regardless, I'd very much love to play a Daggerfall that looks like it came out in 2019 rather than 1996. So, if you could tell me if such a thing is possible with this mod, I would greatly appreciate it.
3GB VRAM seems like an odd number, is it an integrated graphics card? It's hard to say how things will run, but if it handles 3d ok, it'll probably handle DREAM on low settings. Not sure about 60fps: things vary even on a good computer.

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand »

Almainyny wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:21 am I asked this on the mod page at the Nexus, but that doesn't seem to be terribly active, so I'll ask this here too. I understand that you recommend a graphics card with 4 GB of VRAM for this. However, I was wondering if it would be possible to play this mod at a smooth 60 FPS using a graphics card with 3 GB of VRAM by lowering some settings or something. While I will no doubt soon be playing Daggerfall Unity with or without this mod regardless, I'd very much love to play a Daggerfall that looks like it came out in 2019 rather than 1996. So, if you could tell me if such a thing is possible with this mod, I would greatly appreciate it.
My pc has got a Geforce GTX 1050 TI with 4Gb Vram and DREAM runs supersmooth with all settings to Max, and also some Postprocessing mod enabled. I can't imagine that 1Gb less of VRAM making much a difference...
Other mods, like Realtime Reflections, are much more resource intensive.

Adrinus

Post by Adrinus »

Firebrand wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:37 pm My pc has got a Geforce GTX 1050 TI with 4Gb Vram and DREAM runs supersmooth with all settings to Max, and also some Postprocessing mod enabled. I can't imagine that 1Gb less of VRAM making much a difference...
You're right about the VRAM, I doubt it'd be the issue. I'm more concerned about whether it's integrated or not: integrated graphics chips are notoriously weaker than a proper card. This is sometimes due to heat: it cannot be cooled independant to the cpu, so if both are working hard it might limit one or both of their capabilities.

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand »

Adrinus wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:49 pm
Firebrand wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:37 pm My pc has got a Geforce GTX 1050 TI with 4Gb Vram and DREAM runs supersmooth with all settings to Max, and also some Postprocessing mod enabled. I can't imagine that 1Gb less of VRAM making much a difference...
You're right about the VRAM, I doubt it'd be the issue. I'm more concerned about whether it's integrated or not: integrated graphics chips are notoriously weaker than a proper card. This is sometimes due to heat: it cannot be cooled independant to the cpu, so if both are working hard it might limit one or both of their capabilities.
Integrated video cards are indeed very poor for gaming, I remember my old pc with external Radeon graphic card from 2006 being faster than my 2016 notebook (with integrated Radeon graphic card) :? :lol:

That said, for example Geforce Gtx 1060 exists in a version with 3Gb Vram, and I'm pretty sure that card would be excellent at dealing DREAM ;)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Agreed.. a bit less vram should not be a problem. In fact, my gtx970 has realistically speaking only 3.5gb of vram and it runds flawlessly.

I created this mod on basically low end hardware and it payed off.. because I had to learn how to OPTIMIZE and thats what I did! FX8300, gtx970 and 8gb DDR3 ram.. its almost archaic nowadays.

Enjoy :)

Almainyny

Post by Almainyny »

Yeah, sorry. I should have mentioned I have a NVIDIA GTX 780 Ti. It has 3 GB of VRAM according to all the documentation I can find, so that's why I asked if the 4 GB recommendation was 100% required.