KoW - D.R.E.A.M.

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
OMightyBuggy

Re: KoW - D.R.E.A.M.

Post by OMightyBuggy »

King of Worms wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:39 pm
Anyway, look at those paperdolls!
When it works, its awesome!
:o :shock: :o Just wow!

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

So as my PC is basically malfunctioning, I decided to make a upgrade I tryed to avoid for years...

Only scary part is moving to new win10 OS because my Win7 dont support ryzen 3000 and thats the CPU of my choice.

But yea, fx8300 is OLD, my 8gigs of RAM are already limiting me, my mobo/power supply is almost dead, so... theres no other way.

It will take some time, but I guess next week the transition will take place. I will make all the backups and everything I can to transition smoothly.

My final build is:

Ryzen 3600
HyperX Predator 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200 CL16
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK - AMD B450
Corsair RMx Series RM650x (v.2018) - 650W
Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case
Noctua NM-AM4 mounting kit

Rest I use from my old build, so

tRusty GTX970
Samsung SSD
2 Archaic HDDs
Soundblaster Xfi
Some Wifi Card
Noctua NHc14 Cooler, some Coolermaster Fans...
Mouse, keyboard, ancient Creative 2.1 sound (I think its almost 20 years old)
Ancient Samsung SyncMaster 2493hm (my 1st LCD monitor - still zero faulty pixels)

Adrinus

Post by Adrinus »

Wahey! Nice! Just make sure you meticulously get all the drivers for everything. So many random issues are solved by such trivial seeming things. As a good starting point, just let win10 update and get drivers, then turn off updates, and replace them out with the newest factory ones.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thanks for advice :)

This is gonna be hell-ish. Plus I need to flash the bios, but that serms easy on this motherboard.

Plus making everything work.. unity, imaging, photoshop, B2M for materials, all the upscalers, sound, theres a ton of things I have on my PC.

Plus ofc actually transfering all my DFU work there in a working order...

Im already scared but it must be done. This machine is on its way out and I dont want to risk some electricity surge from faulty PSU to burn it all down ,)

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Oh you're gonna love the CPU speed bump, nice choice.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hazelnut wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:09 am Oh you're gonna love the CPU speed bump, nice choice.
Thank you :) Ive tried to keep it at reasonable budget, still this is the most expensive CPU Ive ever bought.
Was nicely surprised with the price of the ram, 16gb 3200/CL16 for 100 USD cca

Well Ive got all the components at my room, so now the funny part will come, flashing bios 1st, than transfer to new case, windows 10 install etc

I guess during the weekend it will be done hopefully. Wish me luck :lol:

Adrinus

Post by Adrinus »

Good luck! May the machine spirits be on your side!

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Adrinus wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:52 pm Good luck! May the machine spirits be on your side!
Haha!!

This transition from one case to another is the hardest, I never did that. Only built from scratch or upgraded.

Here u need to dismantle the 1st build. I thought it was clean, but no. The cpu cooler, and the case fans were quite bad. So u need to clean all that mess from old components which I did.

Than I assembled the new modular PSU, connected to MoBo and updated the bios just on the table.. placed new RAM sticks.

Than the am4 mounting kit for a Noctua fan from 1st build which was am3+

Mounted that mobo to the new case. Added one additional fan from old case.

With all the consulting with manuals, unpacking the boxes, and some mistakes along the road Im affraid it took like 4 to 5 hours..

Now I need to add gfx card, 2x hdd, 1x ssd, wifi card, sound card, all the cables to the front of the pc, all the sata cables, power cables. Mount that huge noctua cooler.. and if the silicon gods will be on my side and it will actually start.. than I can move to the SW part of transition :D

Its good I have a free weekend..

Ps: this new case doesnt even have CD rom bay.. strange feeling... same as when I abandoned the floppy drives.. and cassetes for my ZX spectrum+...damn Im getting old!

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand »

King of Worms wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:55 pm Ps: this new case doesnt even have CD rom bay.. strange feeling... same as when I abandoned the floppy drives.. and cassetes for my ZX spectrum+...damn Im getting old!
I've been through the same experience 2 years ago. Now in my house I've still CDs and DVDs, but unfortunately no more players :lol: :lol: :lol:

Probably I should put them near the VHS tapes and the vynils :lol: :roll:

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Haha no VHS but lots of vinyls here ,)

Anyway

I managed to run the computer of a 1st try, which is ofc good!

I installed win10. Had to convert the SSD to GDT using some commands like in MS Dos times?? Bill?? U hear me??

Now I set up the SW side of things and that should be it.
So far it seems like a smooth transition, fingers crossed.

And really, digging thru the old Pc made me realize it was indeed almost ancient. That fx8300 was the most recent part of it all. The motherboard used to rock Phenom II so go figure Oo