KoW - D.R.E.A.M.

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Narf the Mouse

Re: KoW - Daggerfall Remaster 3.0

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Adrinus wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:54 pm
Narf the Mouse wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:52 pm I like this idea; with the sole exception that the background wall texture might not fit everywhere.
There's only one texture? I could set up the wall background, no problem, but I can't do anything about there not being enough different base textures to override.
Well, I wasn't blaming you, or anyone, only noting. ;)
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Adrinus

Post by Adrinus »

Narf the Mouse wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:55 pm
Adrinus wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:54 pm
Narf the Mouse wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:52 pm I like this idea; with the sole exception that the background wall texture might not fit everywhere.
There's only one texture? I could set up the wall background, no problem, but I can't do anything about there not being enough different base textures to override.
Well, I wasn't blaming you, or anyone, only noting. ;)
Honestly, this would be a handy little mod:
Find out what texture the walls are.
Find out what effect the brick wall will have.
Place wall texture you found before in-place of bricks.
Put a transparent rune symbol over it, changing the type of rune based on the effect.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Adrinus wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:58 pm Honestly, this would be a handy little mod:
Find out what texture the walls are.
Find out what effect the brick wall will have.
Place wall texture you found before in-place of bricks.
Put a transparent rune symbol over it, changing the type of rune based on the effect.
Dynamic texture replacement sounds rather cool. ;)

...But also there's also only one Interkarma.

...Clearly, what we need to do is raid other dimensions for Interkarmas. /cavejohnson
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Adrinus

Post by Adrinus »

Narf the Mouse wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:03 pm ...Clearly, what we need to do is raid other dimensions for Interkarmas. /cavejohnson
Indeed! You work on that, I'll get with KoW and see if we can't make a generic stand-in until then. :)

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Adrinus wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:05 pm
Narf the Mouse wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:03 pm ...Clearly, what we need to do is raid other dimensions for Interkarmas. /cavejohnson
Indeed! You work on that, I'll get with KoW and see if we can't make a generic stand-in until then. :)
I hear Life Model Decoys can be pretty decent.

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

Narf the Mouse wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:50 pm Well, that's because some red brick doors disintegrate you, or do a bunch of damage, or do nothing at all.

It's a particular piece of old-school dungeon design.

Otherwise known as "I rolled a die. You die. Why? I rolled a die on the die."
More commonly known as "rocks fall, everybody dies", I think. :lol:

So now I know why I suddenly died of poison a while after touching the darn thing. Something apparently *did* happen.

I do like the suggestion with the rune, by the way. You know, have the same old bricks, just put a rune on them. So it could be an actually enchanted brick wall, or just some grafity from a bored Ork. Touch to find out! (though it would of course be really cool if the thing reacted to a detect magic spell!)

pango

Post by pango »

It seems there's an issue because some (in-house) painting textures are actually displayed in-game with a change of orientation.

Location: Adventurer's Gear in Charenmore, Wrothgarian Mountains.

First thing, the painting doesn't match classic Daggerfall

Classic:
Daggerfall Unity:
But that may have been already noted, and not considered a serious issue, probably fair enough.

Second thing is that the orientation in-game is not the same as in Daggerfall Imaging (so, I guess, in the textures files either)
Daggerfall classic uses the 2nd one between those, sideways:
Daggerfall Unity uses the 2nd one between those, sideways:
They're so low res that they're almost abstract, so it''s hard to tell if that's really on purpose, but I've venture to guess the change of orientation was meant to be, but the format was meant to be portait not landscape (the painting textures ratio could be ok, they just need to be rotated, but in-game they're pixellated because of stretching).

Problem is, the remaster 3.0 doesn't take that into account, so the painting is displayed sideways in game:
Attachments
SAVE78.zip
Adventurer's Gear, Charenmore, Wrothgarian Mountains
(292.24 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

pango

Post by pango »

I tried GIMP's "sharpen by synthesis" filter on some textures to try to "break" scaler patterns, and with some fiddling (and some luck, the filter results are slightly different each time) it worked and even created interesting stone textures (not sure where they came from :o )
Check at close range:

I'm not sure anything can be done out of that; First they don't match your art like the lion's head you did; Also, I think that ultimately those low relief sculptures would be better reimplemented as normal maps, but who knows...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Prester Lewin

Post by Prester Lewin »

jedidia wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:00 pm Out of curiosity, what devilish machination is this? It doesn't seem to do anything, but sure looks like it should...
StrangerThing.jpg
In the words of the immortal Jack O'Neill: What? What? What? ;)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I like the idea with the rune, it seems interesting. Yes, there is just one texture. So the rune background should be made in a way it fits everywhere :) But, those red bricks are so strange on their own that making something more fitting should not be a huge problem I guess.