KoW - D.R.E.A.M.

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Adrinus

Re: KoW - Daggerfall Remaster 3.0

Post by Adrinus »

Edit: Oh, gosh! So business-minded of me, trying to get right back to work, but thank you very much for the high praise about my artwork. I really do appreciate it (hence coming back here to make sure I've included it). If there are any you dislike, don't be afraid to tell me so, I'm not vain or egotistical: I'll be fine with any choices you make. And Thank you for including me in the credits, It'll be fun to look back and be like: "I did that!".

Some of the artwork is really "airbrushed" looking, and other bits are "too high-res". I don't know why that is, but if you have the upscaled versions of those sprites after being run through the filter to smooth them, I could probably redo them in this style too.

Also if there are any that you are dissatisfied with (where the portrait doesn't quite fit, or you just don't like it), if you give me the upscaled, filtered versions of those originals, I'm happy to work on them as well. The only thing I can't do is animations: I can't make the shading consistent enough.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Going back and upscale all those sprites again from source files is not realistic, too much work :) I imagined everything which needs to be done and my head started spinning. And the sprites look really bad in that raw upscaled form TBH. Ive spend WAY too much time to get them to look as they look now, they are basically redrawn, there was no automatic smoothness filter, everything is done manually by hand. I agree they might appear airbrushed, but thats the artistic direction I took based on the looks of the source material I worked with + my skill set...
TLDR: theese are the only NPC sprites I can offer atm ;)

Also, if you want to see the character portraits (those which appear in conversations) I can send you the files. I worked on them as well - quite extensively - but there is great room to advance on that anyway (there are 564 if them so...)

Adrinus

Post by Adrinus »

Ooof! That sounds like alot of work. No problem. Like 85-95% look fine.
King of Worms wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:14 pm Also, if you want to see the character portraits (those which appear in conversations) I can send you the files. I worked on them as well - quite extensively - but there is great room to advance on that anyway (there are 564 if them so...)
That's an idea, I could probably do a good few of them, though most of them are quite good already. Any way to tell which one links up with which body?

And, We'll see if I can keep up the quality at higher resolutions...

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Sure, here is the latest version of the portraits:
https://mega.nz/#!W7ZDhSCC!3PiwW_OANmrO ... R4jzekcYKY

Ive done the matching of sprites and portraits mostly by eye, and in some cases I walked around DFU and spoke to various NPCs to see their portrait. But as it is now, 99% of the sprites (but the ones you work on) already have matching head from the portrait "mounted" - so going by eye should not be so hard. Unfortunatelly, this is the only way, as there is no corelation between sprite number and portrait number...

Adrinus

Post by Adrinus »

Only 527 to do! Phew! That's a whole lot. I might give it a crack, but lemme finish off these bodies first.

Edit: looks like I can at least fix up the hooded ones etc. where the shadows look all messed up pretty easy.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

No rush, its a lot of images to go thru :)

EDIT: I compared the sprites you send me side by side with the old ones and I really like what you doing with the shading, faces and sometimes hands. Its exactly how it should be.

Adrinus

Post by Adrinus »

King of Worms wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:49 pm No rush, its a lot of images to go thru :)

EDIT: I compared the sprites you send me side by side with the old ones and I really like what you doing with the shading, faces and sometimes hands. Its exactly how it should be.
Yeah, I'll take my time on it. I might even do it, I really like DaggerfallUnity, particularly work to make it higher resolution, as I think this will bring more people into it. I can't imagine anyone going through all the effort on these art assets, but I suppose someone has to do it, and I can't really ask anyone else to do 527 faces.

Anyhow, got a couple more for today, the lady and the hooded guy were particularly tricky:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/2fadtw53t ... 5.zip/file

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Very nice! Yes those faces... too much of them. I already spend many days doing them. All hooded faces have new hoods and many many portraits have been hand touched so the color gradients are smooth on them etc and they already look quite better than originals. But yes, still a lots of room for improvement :lol: Dont let that become a chore for you, just have fun with it while it lasts

Adrinus

Post by Adrinus »

King of Worms wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:31 am Very nice! Yes those faces... too much of them. I already spend many days doing them. All hooded faces have new hoods and many many portraits have been hand touched so the color gradients are smooth on them etc and they already look quite better than originals. But yes, still a lots of room for improvement :lol: Dont let that become a chore for you, just have fun with it while it lasts
Yeah, they are definitely better than default, but still much to do. I might at least make a small dent in it, maybe the next guy will only have 450 to do :P

I'm busy today, but I did manage one more:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ec22ezzy5 ... 6.zip/file

Adrinus

Post by Adrinus »

Internet Died for a while, so I made some more:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/5th144b8a ... 9.zip/file