KoW - D.R.E.A.M.

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
N_Molson

Re: KoW - D.R.E.A.M.

Post by N_Molson »

Don't worry, the whole point of rendering those faces is to provide you "raw material" to work with. I know how time-consuming this stuff can be. Also, I once was involved in professional game development and I know how stressful it can be :lol:

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thanks I appreciate that 😊 Im quite sad the Reshade stopped working on 2019lts as I think this is the version we will be using for a loong time 😐 anyway.. Im glad for any face posted here, I save em and use em all.

As I re-visited the deeper levels of the fearsome paperdoll project I found a lots of issues and dealt with them. So at least that will be a step forward...

fosley

Post by fosley »

King of Worms wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:17 pm Nice face Fosley, I will make it fit, thank you :)
What SW do you use?
I used MakeHuman to match a random Google photo as best as possible, aged him a bit to better match the original image, imported that into Blender, then spent 7 hours arguing with my screen that it shouldn't be so damned hard to make the tiniest things work.

Hair was done using Blender hair particles, which was made frustrating by the fact that I'd never done it before. And extremely frustrating by the fact that the imported mesh had a Subdivision modifier where the render and viewport settings weren't the same, so I'd get it looking decent on the screen, then it would render with all these random extra bits. I kept thinking there must be something I was missing in the child particle settings, then ran across a random post from someone who'd had the modifier problem, and life got a lot easier when I set the viewport to show the subdivisions.

I did the hair as one patch, but I think it would work better to separate left, right, and back into different bits. I did the moustache, goatee, and lower lip as separate pieces and that was a lot easier to work with. I think it might also work better to overlap vertex groups anywhere there's a part in the hair, so it's not as difficult to get the part to look bushy without bare spots.

Started off with two white lights, but that made his face really blue. I switched to FFF8CF lights and it brought out the proper skin tone a lot better. I think the stock image had darker skin (and the same blue tint from a light to his side), but I find it easier to work with lighter colors then darken them if needed than to try working in dark colors with little contrast.

If I do another one, I think I'll see if I can't mess with the anamorphic rendering, so the model won't be squished vertically to fit the DOS CRT scaling. Then the render will be stretched horizontally to fill the original sprite.

The original game, rendered on a proper CRT, would be about 83% of the width that we're seeing the images rendered on our modern screens. So they looked more natural done properly, something that isn't currently happening in the DFU paperdoll renderer. Ideally, that would happen before beta kicked off, since that's kind of a core DF classic feature. But time will tell. (More Infos)

fosley

Post by fosley »

Spoiler!
Redguard 8 Proper Scaling.png
Redguard 8 Proper Scaling.png (45.43 KiB) Viewed 879 times
Bad Hair Day.jpg
Bad Hair Day.jpg (131.33 KiB) Viewed 879 times
Redguard Face 8 Example.png
Redguard Face 8 Example.png (1.01 MiB) Viewed 879 times

N_Molson

Post by N_Molson »

Index 06 (Face05), that one had a lot of beard and hair so I had little to work with ! Heavier face, with the (usual) angry expression.

Yeah about ReShade I had severe FPS issues with 10.26, so I reverted to the "Simple Postprocessing" mod and things improved drastically. But yes ReShade had very interesting features, like blindness from snow which was very cool :cry:

@fosley : wow that haircut sort of exploded ! Mind-blowing stuff :lol:

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Looks like you went to war to get that face done Fosley :ugeek: It looks really nice indeed, its a bit pity such a model is used only on a relatively small front facing image... Id say keep the model, it can get handy some day.

Absolutely agree on the scaling, this game was done for CRTs and now its rendered in widescreen, making the chars look fat. This applies to every character in game I guess? The MOBs, Commoners, NPCs... maybe all Sprites as well?

Only thing which makes me scared is just the IDEA of the parts of the paperdoll getting miss-aligined by it, because theres no chance in hell I will do that all ever again. And I very much doubt anyone will do it in the future.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thanks for a new face Molson, saved ;)

Yes since the engine upgrade to 2019 LTS in the DFU version 0.10.26 the Reshade started to completely missbehave. The performance went to hell, even if the effects are NOT turned on. Also, the videos turned black. I have quite a issue with that, because I cant get back to standard looks of DFU.

It needs working Eye adaptation which I had finetuned to perfection
It needs sharpening (better one than which we have in nVidia control panel)
It needs better AntiAliasing
I had very nice bloom effect which only appeared while looking to the sun, or to the dungeon exit when the day was outside
And it needs a color corrections

All this is now lost :oops: :oops: :oops: :roll:

Thing is, I dont believe one single bit its a issue on the reshade side, because it just works on every game I have. And even on other Unity games. Something went quite off with the engine update :X But Im afraid not many ppl care about that. And also nothing extra can be done about that, because thats a Unity issue, not a DFU issue most likely. So the only solution is to wait one year and hope we make a transition to some 2020 LTS - if that ever happens - and pray to Gods it will work with reshade.

Or to program our own postprocessing, which is completely impossible to me.

fosley

Post by fosley »

I hadn't even bothered to see if ReShade had any issues. I didn't have it at all in 0.10.24 (it was sitting there but I never installed it), then just installed it when I upgraded to 0.10.26a.

DFU 0.10.26a with ReShade gets 80 to 120 fps, typically sitting in the 90+ range.

DFU 0.10.26a without ReShade gets 100 to 120 fps, typically sitting in the 118+ range.

DFU 0.10.24 with ReShade gets 100 to 120 fps, typically sitting in the 110+ range.

DFU 0.10.24 without ReShade gets 115 to 122 fps.

Most of the time, all versions are getting over 100 fps, but in dungeons I notice some drops into the 80-90 fps range. What I'm not positive about is how many of those are in actual gameplay, and how many are due to streaming assets being loaded when I do things like search corpses.

Of note, my 0.10.26a install does have a few more mods, but I'm not sure any of them would cause notable framerate issues.

So I downloaded ReShade 4.7.0 directly from the website and installed it. I'm getting 110 to 120 fps now, with occasional dips to 105 while running around killing guards in town. Dungeons are 115+.

Also of note: I don't really even know what I'm looking for to see if ReShade is doing anything on the screen.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

fosley wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:28 am I hadn't even bothered to see if ReShade had any issues. I didn't have it at all in 0.10.24 (it was sitting there but I never installed it), then just installed it when I upgraded to 0.10.26a.

DFU 0.10.26a with ReShade gets 80 to 120 fps, typically sitting in the 90+ range.

DFU 0.10.26a without ReShade gets 100 to 120 fps, typically sitting in the 118+ range.

DFU 0.10.24 with ReShade gets 100 to 120 fps, typically sitting in the 110+ range.

DFU 0.10.24 without ReShade gets 115 to 122 fps.

Most of the time, all versions are getting over 100 fps, but in dungeons I notice some drops into the 80-90 fps range. What I'm not positive about is how many of those are in actual gameplay, and how many are due to streaming assets being loaded when I do things like search corpses.

Of note, my 0.10.26a install does have a few more mods, but I'm not sure any of them would cause notable framerate issues.

So I downloaded ReShade 4.7.0 directly from the website and installed it. I'm getting 110 to 120 fps now, with occasional dips to 105 while running around killing guards in town. Dungeons are 115+.

Also of note: I don't really even know what I'm looking for to see if ReShade is doing anything on the screen.
Not on my pc. I have 60fps v sync.
0.10.24 - 50% gpu usage with effects enabled
0.10.27 - 90% gpu usage with effects disabled

Ots ok it works for u. How about the videos?

Reshade does nothing untill you set it up, or untill u download a preset. So it looks the same On/Off for you now.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I like to create new variants of items where possible, be it color variants or stuff like this. Before you could only have shield like this:
239_2-0_White.png
239_2-0_White.png (34.43 KiB) Viewed 775 times
You can still have this one, but also 9 different ones. I always do it like this, the original items is always somewhere around the game, but new variants get added.
Chest Shields.jpg
Chest Shields.jpg (54.01 KiB) Viewed 775 times