KoW - D.R.E.A.M.

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Daneel53

Re: KoW - D.R.E.A.M.

Post by Daneel53 »

Hi King of Worms,

A you know, time has come for DFU to deal with localization, and localization is not only a matter of texts to translate but also of menus that are included into more than one hundred bitmaps.

I'm in charge of the Project French Dagerfall (PFD) that leaded to a classic Daggerfall fully translated in French. Today I'm dealing with the French localization of DFU. I've succeeded to transform the 112 old translated .IMG files into PNG and make them displayed by DFU, so it's OK with that for the French DFU.

But first, we are still displaying the old 320x200 panels, and second, for languages that do not have a classic Daggerfall translation, I don't think it would be nice to oblige new translators to do pixel art to translate the small panels letter by letter and pixel by pixel in their own language as we did for PFD eight years ago.

So my questions are:
  • Could it be possible to start from the new and better menu panels that are into your mod?
  • Is there any chance that versions of these panels (inventory for example) without text exist somewhere in the DREAM mod dev PC? I suppose that the panels were first drawn without text, and then the texts were added as pure text string and not as pixel packets for each letter.
  • If those void panels exist, could it be possible to know with which font and color they have been drawn, so that to obtain the same look than the English menus?
To summarize, is there an easy way to localize all the menus and buttons that are into your mod? In classic Daggerfall, 112 .IMG and the file BUTTONS.RCI are concerned by localization. I suppose that it's the same in your mod.

It is clear that the localized menus and buttons would still be linked to the DREAM mod that would keep any property of the localized files, even if the localized menus and buttons would have to be distributed with the localization mods.

Fell free to answer me here or in private if you think it's better. :)
In charge of Project French Daggerfall and DaggerfallSetup, dev. of DFTools in English.
French translator for many Warband mods and Bannerlord.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hi Daneel,

thanks for contacting me. Ive supported all the localization efforts in the past, but nothing final came up from that - yet.

I will indeed support your efforts as well.

There is one issue with it. I have those blank tabs on my HDD, but the ones (PNGs with baked-in texts :oops: ) used in a final DREAM are much more advanced than those blanks.

So if you use blanks, fill it with texts, it will not be as good as DREAM tabs currently are. Thats NOT a way to go.

I think the best way for you to do it, is to use the DREAM filled in tabs (which Im providing to you in a download) and try to remove texts from them. Maybe using the empty tabs (I provide those as well) will help you with that, or some photoshop tricks...

Just wanted to make sure you understand the fact that the empty tabs are outdated, and the filled in PNG tabs look much better.
It is clear that the localized menus and buttons would still be linked to the DREAM mod that would keep any property of the localized files, even if the localized menus and buttons would have to be distributed with the localization mods.
Sure, no worries about that. It would be great to have DREAM in multiple languages. The way of distribution is not very important to me. Technically - the base DREAM-HUD will have to be present on the users PC and than the Translation should be loaded afterwards, to overwrite the english tabs with the chosen language variant. When the translation of the tabs is done, I can help you packing it in the DFMOD as thats the preferred way of distributing it to the end user. I will than send that DFMOD to you so you can add it to your project.

I will try to create Translation support pack and upload it today.

EDIT:
PACK IS READY. Ive added a readme file there, pls read it.
There is a brief explanation of the 2 folders you will find in the pack. And some explanation of why its a bit messy now.

Very important part - I want to make it right this time! SO! If you want to make your project right as well - and I believe you do - you will have to clean the existing most recent tabs from the baked in texts. And I would really appreciate, if you shared those new empty tabs with me afterwards. So when another person/team wants to translate to another language (and that will happen for sure) I can provide em with the empty tabs for their project and its not such a mess as it is now.

Thank you! :)

PS: If you need any more info, pls let me know

DOWNLOAD:
https://mega.nz/file/r65R2IaY#CcU7jSR4Y ... wtUP8YB3s0

Daneel53

Post by Daneel53 »

Many thanks for your kind answer and the support pack. I've downloaded it and will study its content in the following days.

Then I will give feedback upon what I think possible to do with that.

And, yes, for sure, I will keep and send you all images with empty tabs I may produce.

Daneel

Note: If you don't want to let your PNG files online, you can remove your link, I have the files on my PC. ;)
In charge of Project French Daggerfall and DaggerfallSetup, dev. of DFTools in English.
French translator for many Warband mods and Bannerlord.

deadtom

Post by deadtom »

Hello! I'm loving the looks of the mod, and I'm using most of the recommended mods to go along with it. My issue is that outside or in towns, a lot of textures seem misaligned. Like they don't match up or tile smoothly, both on the ground and on some town walls. I will post screenshots of what I mean:
https://imgur.com/8Mz98Op
https://imgur.com/f92qldg

I know it's a bit subtle in the second shot there, it's more noticeable in snowy regions... I just don't have a convenient save right this moment.

Basically my question is, is this just how it works in the game, or have I done something wrong modwise to make this happen?

Thank you!

DiamondZomboss1

Post by DiamondZomboss1 »

Hello, I found an NPC that was unchanged (The weaponsmith in Daggerfall), do not know if this is a bug or not. https://imgur.com/a/XgaREPU

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

DiamondZomboss1 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:24 am Hello, I found an NPC that was unchanged (The weaponsmith in Daggerfall), do not know if this is a bug or not. https://imgur.com/a/XgaREPU
Thats the Roleplaying realism changing the NPCs for its own variants. Just dont use that setting it the mod (alternate NPCs or whats the name) - or just simply use my presets and none of these issues will ever exist for you, your choice.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

deadtom wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:34 pm Hello! I'm loving the looks of the mod, and I'm using most of the recommended mods to go along with it. My issue is that outside or in towns, a lot of textures seem misaligned. Like they don't match up or tile smoothly, both on the ground and on some town walls. I will post screenshots of what I mean:

I know it's a bit subtle in the second shot there, it's more noticeable in snowy regions... I just don't have a convenient save right this moment.

Basically my question is, is this just how it works in the game, or have I done something wrong modwise to make this happen?

Thank you!
Hi, those city walls are from Handpainted models, not my mod. That terrain texture issue is again something I cant do anything about, because those textures are seemless and tile perfectly, but theres something in DFU which causes that.
I will take a look at the 2nd, but its not caused by my mod.

deadtom

Post by deadtom »

King of Worms wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:06 pm
deadtom wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:34 pm Hello! I'm loving the looks of the mod, and I'm using most of the recommended mods to go along with it. My issue is that outside or in towns, a lot of textures seem misaligned. Like they don't match up or tile smoothly, both on the ground and on some town walls. I will post screenshots of what I mean:

Thank you!
Hi, those city walls are from Handpainted models, not my mod. That terrain texture issue is again something I cant do anything about, because those textures are seemless and tile perfectly, but theres something in DFU which causes that.
I will take a look at the 2nd, but its not caused by my mod.
Okay, I'll try turning off Handpainted Models and see how I like it. No worries, I wasn't blaming you, I LOVE the work you've done, it's GORGEOUS. So don't get me wrong, I just wanted to make sure I didn't screw something up.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thank you 😊
I think Handpainted objects have mod settings and u can turn the walls off and keep the rest 😉

Flying Kites

Post by Flying Kites »

Amazing how this mod allows me to play the best looking game my pc can handle. Ave Czechia! XD

I'd love to see support for more college-era Todd risque features. There is a high-res paintings mod, and this guy has been working on a female armor mod that's a bit like Red Sonja power. Give him a hand, many would appreciate it. It remains unfinished. https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfalluni ... ?tab=files