KoW - D.R.E.A.M.

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
King of Worms

Re: KoW - D.R.E.A.M.

Post by King of Worms »

TheLacus wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:24 pm Reported on GitHub ( #1725). I don't know why you weren't able to do it, maybe you didn't write a title?
I did, tryed to post the report many times but was getting error msg.. not sure why. Anyway, thanks for doing it!

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

I'm getting close to finishing the two sprite sets for my mod.

(Aargh, why can't they have the same melee animations?!)

And now that I've actually messed around a bit with this I've been thinking:

One way to make new NPC sprites would be to do what Daggerfall originally did:
  1. Make 3D models for NPCs
  2. Position models in correct postures
  3. Take pictures
  4. Paste pictures over existing sprites
Step 2 ,3 and 4 is pretty simple.
The obvious problem here being how to get 3D models. Making them all from scratch is a huge undertaking. But would it be possible to use, for example, Skyrim 3D models? Or some kind of free amateur 3D models of some kind?

I dunno, I'm just thinking out loud here. And I realize this is probably something that has been discussed before.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thing is

1) If u make a 3d models, why make em 2d again, when you can do some basic animations and place them in the game fully 3d
2) even if you make 2d sprites from them, they will most likely look similar to what we have now in a better case... or they will have that uncanny appearance to them, it will just look DIFFERENT but not exactly better, as usually with the art style swaps in games

Yes, it has been discussed a lot.. I think if the discussion time was converted to modeling time, we have 3d enemies already (same as with roads) :D

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

King of Worms wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:39 am 1) If u make a 3d models, why make em 2d again, when you can do some basic animations and place them in the game fully 3d
Eeeh, then I'd have to figure out how to place 3d models in the game :D
King of Worms wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:39 am 2) even if you make 2d sprites from them, they will most likely look similar to what we have now in a better case... or they will have that uncanny appearance to them, it will just look DIFFERENT but not exactly better, as usually with the art style swaps in games
I dunno. Depends on the quality of the 3D models. I personally dislike the difference between how the world texture looks and how the NPCs look in DREAM. I feel with some proper 3D models the textures and sprites would match more in style. But again, that depends completely on the 3D models.
King of Worms wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:39 am Yes, it has been discussed a lot.. I think if the discussion time was converted to modeling time, we have 3d enemies already (same as with roads) :D
:lol:

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I saw some 3d models swaps of a horse and some static NPC year ago already :) Just a basic proof of concept. I think its really easy, at least it appeared so. Some description is here at the Flats section... viewtopic.php?f=22&t=427#p3630 Just under that is a description of Wandering NPCs replacement with cubes (yay!) :D

But with Mobs it might be more complicated maybe? I have no idea

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Any idea on how to drill many holes in Photoshop (or any other prog) in the chain armor so it goes from this
248_16-0.png
248_16-0.png (76.04 KiB) Viewed 1055 times
to something like this, maybe with even more holes?
248_16-0b.png
248_16-0b.png (78.57 KiB) Viewed 1055 times
But it needs to be at least partially automatic, so maybe I manually select the area and the rest will be done on its own.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

King of Worms wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:30 am I saw some 3d models swaps of a horse and some static NPC year ago already :) Just a basic proof of concept. I think its really easy, at least it appeared so. Some description is here at the Flats section... viewtopic.php?f=22&t=427#p3630 Just under that is a description of Wandering NPCs replacement with cubes (yay!) :D

But with Mobs it might be more complicated maybe? I have no idea
Static model replacements are easy, no idea whether animated models are supported.. I'm not aware of any.

And that last post - why am I reminded of Hammertime? :lol:
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

This is the only hammertime Im aware of unfortunately :D

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

And hey, if anyone wants to join in or take over the PAPERDOLL project, I will be glad.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

King of Worms wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:42 pm This is the only hammertime Im aware of unfortunately :D
I hoped you'd get the reference! :lol:
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods