KoW - D.R.E.A.M.

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
pango

Re: KoW - Daggerfall Remaster 3.0

Post by pango »

I think the problem is that 302_10-0 has too much grass vs classic: In classic it's just a spot in top left corner, where in the new texture it covers half the texture surface. And the (anti)symetric for 302_12-0, to a lesser extent it has too much sand. So when everything is tiled together the grass borders don't match.

Actually, if everything has to match around the middle of texture sides, it means that the diagonal you must consider are not the corner-to-opposite-corner longest ones, but middle-of-side-to-middle-of-adjacent-side ones:
That's a theorical line of course, without fluctuations the border would be totally straight, uninteresting, and unnatural...
Quick and dirty test:
Last edited by pango on Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Adrinus

Post by Adrinus »

I think this is likely an issue with the actual rendering engine, not the textures.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Adrinus wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:31 pm I think this is likely an issue with the actual rendering engine, not the textures.
Why do you think that? I can't even begin to imagine, hence the question.

Pango seems spot on here to me, but I could be missing something as I know very little about the terrain rendering.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Adrinus wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:31 pm I think this is likely an issue with the actual rendering engine, not the textures.
I have the same feeling. Btw what made the dirt go darker in your corrected image?

pango

Post by pango »

King of Worms wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:57 am I have the same feeling. Btw what made the dirt go darker in your corrected image?
I'm not sure, maybe I just installed 2 of the new textures instead of the whole set, or something...
I don't think it's relevant, it was just a quick-and-dirty check that the borders do match and that my analysis seems correct.
-- Charles Goodhart

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I see makes sense if U used the download link Ive provided, as Ive indeed made the new version a bit darker/contrasty than the old one...

So yea, it seems the adjustment you made did the trick... hmm, can u send me the updated files pls? :D

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

For a bit of technical background, Daggerfall's terrain tiles use good old Marching Squares. Scroll down to see the images for various cases, and you'll recognise them immediately. The repainted textures need to follow the same basic contour or they won't align as expected. Pango's analysis seems to be correct here, from what I can see. :)

Adrinus

Post by Adrinus »

Hazelnut wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:44 pm
Why do you think that? I can't even begin to imagine, hence the question.

Pango seems spot on here to me, but I could be missing something as I know very little about the terrain rendering.
I've had issues with this kind of thing in other graphics engines, but it looks like Pango is correct here. I stand corrected.

pango

Post by pango »

King of Worms wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:45 am So yea, it seems the adjustment you made did the trick... hmm, can u send me the updated files pls? :D
Sure. Nothing special about them though, just bad clone tool work ;)
Attachments
fixed-tiles.zip
(1 MiB) Downloaded 81 times
-- Charles Goodhart

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Well it works and thats crucial, thank you, will check that ingame. And thanks Interkarma for the info on how it is done, was interresting :)