KoW - D.R.E.A.M.

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Adrinus

Re: KoW - D.R.E.A.M.

Post by Adrinus »

jayhova wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:41 pm So many surfaces are too shiny. Even highly polished marble takes on a flat finish after only a short time exposed to the elements. Even indoors oxidation and acidic conditions cause once shiney marble to become dull. Shiney things in the ancient world were highly prized because they were so rare.
I think you might be right. Can you fix it? There's literally thousands of textures going on in this pack. If you know which ones seem wrong, maybe you can perfect them? KOW is generally really happy to take contributions from the community.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

King of Worms wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:35 pm Ever seen oblivion? Tell me about shiny :)
Not entirely Oblivion's fault. :) Most monitors, or so I've heard, have the gamma set too high, because it makes photos look "prettier".
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

:) I have 0 brightness and 0 contrast on my monitor... who knows how it looks on those "burn your eyes/brains alive" setups LOL
Im not a pro, I just do the best I can here. And I know theres a lot to improve. But also my energy I can dedicate to this - is getting limited. I already spend way too much on this. Like, really really way too much. So yes, criticism is welcomed, but also hard to swallow. Because... everybody can come and say its suxx. Problem is, Im not payed for it, and I started from zero and got it/myself to where it is now. I know ppl in general have no idea on how much it took... and that I provide a link so you can download a unity package, click twice and have ALL my work on your PC for your usage. So... if it suxx, than download it and do the work. Cca 1/1000 of the work I did is needed to adjust the sliders, so come on!! :) Just a general rant here... not directed to anyone personally.

And this is btw not a final version... it takes time to tune 1000s of textures and their properties so the whole shit looks good at any given day time and any given lightning possible :)

Plus its really not user friendly - at all.

Just explaining my position I guess.
hmm.jpg
hmm.jpg (142.82 KiB) Viewed 1794 times

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

King of Worms wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:37 pm :) I have 0 brightness and 0 contrast on my monitor... who knows how it looks on those "burn your eyes/brains alive" setups LOL
It is also partly Oblivion's fault. ;)
King of Worms wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:37 pm Im not a pro, I just do the best I can here. And I know theres a lot to improve. But also my energy I can dedicate to this - is getting limited. I already spend way too much on this. Like, really really way too much. So yes, criticism is welcomed, but also hard to swallow. Because... everybody can come and say its suxx. Problem is, Im not payed for it, and I started from zero and got it/myself to where it is now. I know ppl in general have no idea on how much it took... and that I provide a link so you can download a unity package, click twice and have ALL my work on your PC for your usage. So... if it suxx, than download it and do the work. Cca 1/1000 of the work I did is needed to adjust the sliders, so come on!! :) Just a general rant here... not directed to anyone personally.

And this is btw not a final version... it takes time to tune 1000s of textures and their properties so the whole shit looks good at any given day time and any given lightning possible :)

Plus its really not user friendly - at all.

Just explaining my position I guess.
hmm.jpg
Your mod is great. Don't let criticism get you down. :) And take a break if you need one. Real life is more important.

Anyone who demands you work on something that's free, can take a hike. :)

Requests are one thing, but they ain't paying you. :x
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

quasifex

Post by quasifex »

I want to let everyone to know that I'm already working on fixing KoW's materials. I'm doing it in little free time I have and there is a lot to rework. So it will take weeks (maybe more) before I finish. Please have a patience and save bananas for me.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

quasifex wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:36 am I want to let everyone to know that I'm already working on fixing KoW's materials. I'm doing it in little free time I have and there is a lot to rework. So it will take weeks (maybe more) before I finish. Please have a patience and save bananas for me.
Thank you. I tryed to resist the urge to work on materias untill you are done but I failed and remade some stuff.. not sure I should send you the update? Or shall I just rest assured and let the destiny take over? :)

quasifex

Post by quasifex »

Uh, yeah, destiny and all that stuff. No need to send the update.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Gods be praised than .) Good luck

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

I didn't mean to imply anything or get on anyone's case about shininess I have however noticed that it tends to be way over used sometimes. Most stone is porous. It's often as shiny as toilet paper. That is until you get it wet. Then it is as shiny as wet toilet paper.

Many people think of these things as shiny because they have seen shiny marble in bathrooms and floors. However getting marble to be that shiny takes industrial diamond polishing discs or similar materials. I just wanted to make it clear because people tend to have expectations based on things they see in the modern world.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

All good, I value the input. I tryed my best with the marbles... I mixed the base textures with a dirt, reduced the smoothness/reflections and added roughness to it. Now its IMO looking good... But just one move with a smoothness slider can get us to the results you talking about, so its now about that...

I will wait for a Quasifex version, from what Ive seen, he really knows how to make things look good and understands what he is doing. I think hes a pro ... So Gods be praised for his input :D

Only thing Im slightly afraid of is, that I changed some dungeon textures for a better... but thats just a minor thing. So if he uses the old stuff, its about me changing like 10 textures back out of 1000... and maybe discuss it with him and let him create few more maps to make it look proper. Not a biggie. So... Im resting assured plus believe in the destiny and all that :P

Plus Im finally taking a rest... this another push was taxing