KoW - D.R.E.A.M.

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
pango

Re: KoW - D.R.E.A.M.

Post by pango »

I really dig those textures, they smell the dust of old forgotten places...
(The Hold of Gav'kern, Lainlyn, "climate" textures)
The Hold of Gav'Kern, Lainlyn.jpg
The Hold of Gav'Kern, Lainlyn.jpg (278.75 KiB) Viewed 1409 times
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thank you mate :) I remember this set was quite hard to nail and Ive remade it numerous times.

Its not so hard to make a single nice texture, but to make ceiling walls and floor work together... also, the textures are repeating every single meter so they tend to tile a LOT.

Working around these limits is very interesting and I believe it teaches you a lot.

In a same way its quite easy to drive a Veyron but to master a old 500hp BMW without traction control is a different task. But once you do it, you can drive any car...

Not implying ive mastered anything ,)

xhodan

Post by xhodan »

Any ETA on when we can get an update to fix the day/night doors?

pango

Post by pango »

xhodan wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:36 pm Any ETA on when we can get an update to fix the day/night doors?
We've all been hard at work on the topic.
First part of the fix is a rewrite of doors click detection by Interkarma, that will be part of next DFU release (very soon now I guess, version has been bumped to 0.10.18 already). This should fix all modded doors that are effectively in front of a dungeon wall, so most cases but Shedungent exit, Sentinel Castle left exit, and some random dungeon exits (say, exit doors that stand in a real doorframe).
Fixing the latter will require modded doors with a collider, that was missing from the first modded door, so D.R.E.A.M. will need a new release with that change.
-- Charles Goodhart

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Exactly as Pango has stated, thank you!

I can add that Ive included the colliders on my PC already thanks to the support I was given by ppl working on this issue for us.
So when the new build drops, I will make a patch with just the doors, test if it works and upload that on the nexus. Should be around 2mb and loaded after the DREAM I guess... some testing will be needed.

I really appreciate the work you guys put in fixing MY issue. Its a nice new feature!

Elricwulf

Post by Elricwulf »

Seferoth wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:06 pm
King of Worms wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:36 am Good ideas, I wrote a PM to Lacus, maybe he can come up with a solution. I certainly cant other than removing the day/night versions of dungeon exits.

EDIT: OMG too much christmass sweets, I feel like dying and thats the morning after
Perhaps removing those day/night exits would be best solution for now until Lacus can hopefully fix the issue. This is quite annoying problem after all...and while those day and night exits are really cool they are not THAT important.
Sefiroth's suggestion +1

Thanks KoW for the amazing textures, I just wish I could play without getting stuck in a Dungeon with no recalls.. :( (new char)
Is there a partial fix for this besides installing the entire R6 DREAM set? I was having this issue, kept getting stuck after spending hours in a dungeon.. I thought it was the smaller dungeon messing things up somehow creating a fake exit or something.. I lost hours of play not realizing that DREAM was the issue until I searched here.

I downloaded the entire 2.1 GB DREAM R6 pack.. do I just install the whole thing over the Newest (2020 R1 current) install or could I say, install just the "textures.dfmod"? I just don't want to screw anything up if settings refer to things that have changed, etc.

If this was Skyrim, I'd just unpack the BSA or replace the single textures myself, but I'm not yet familiar with the texture/mod format for DF Unity and I don't know if replacing that texture would fix or if it's a scripting problem...

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Elricwulf wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:12 am
Seferoth wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:06 pm
King of Worms wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:36 am Good ideas, I wrote a PM to Lacus, maybe he can come up with a solution. I certainly cant other than removing the day/night versions of dungeon exits.

EDIT: OMG too much christmass sweets, I feel like dying and thats the morning after
Perhaps removing those day/night exits would be best solution for now until Lacus can hopefully fix the issue. This is quite annoying problem after all...and while those day and night exits are really cool they are not THAT important.
Sefiroth's suggestion +1

Thanks KoW for the amazing textures, I just wish I could play without getting stuck in a Dungeon with no recalls.. :( (new char)
Is there a partial fix for this besides installing the entire R6 DREAM set? I was having this issue, kept getting stuck after spending hours in a dungeon.. I thought it was the smaller dungeon messing things up somehow creating a fake exit or something.. I lost hours of play not realizing that DREAM was the issue until I searched here.

I downloaded the entire 2.1 GB DREAM R6 pack.. do I just install the whole thing over the Newest (2020 R1 current) install or could I say, install just the "textures.dfmod"? I just don't want to screw anything up if settings refer to things that have changed, etc.

If this was Skyrim, I'd just unpack the BSA or replace the single textures myself, but I'm not yet familiar with the texture/mod format for DF Unity and I don't know if replacing that texture would fix or if it's a scripting problem...
I recommend opening the console and typing trans_out. That teleports you outside the current dungeon you are in. I have used that myself on characters without recall.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Or use textures from rc6 and rest from 2020r1, yes.

I already dismissed that suggestion, it makes no sense to me.

I think Ive said everything concerning this issue.. twice. Plus some more. Sry but no more.. thanks for understanding :lol:

Elricwulf

Post by Elricwulf »

Well, the issue annoyed me and I didn't know what was causing it, so I was on the verge of giving up on DF Unity entirely and loading up my modded-out-the-arse Morrowind setup instead.. but I decided to search for a solution here, so that you in turn for your understanding. 8-)

I have been around the modding community long enough to "understand" a certain amount of cockiness from modders in the sense of "well I made this on my own time without getting paid for it, and you don't have to like it, etc. so you can take it or leave it." Yes, that's nothing new to the modding community... but the problem is when there is an issue with a feature that is causing a game-breaking or immersion-breaking issue and it isn't clear what is causing it, then people checking out the project and say, grabbing some mods that are in a "Released" state or because they heard from some YouTube channel that Daggerfall Unity is completely playable and these are good mods, etc. if they run into this bug, unless they have the patience to look up what is causing the problem, then they are probably going to give up on DFU, which seems like it wouldn't benefit the project as a whole.

From a professional Q/A and programming stand point, if you want the project (and your mods for it) to be as robust (and sucessful) as possible, then having very high profile mods that break very basic game mechanics is not something that is prudent to "dismiss" when people are basically Alpha testing it and providing feedback for you. ;) Anyway, just my 2 cents worth. I don't know if you care if other people use the mod or not, or whether the community as a whole flourishes or not. I was echoing Sefiroth's sentiment that "having the day/night dungeon exit functionality, while pretty, is not *that* important" and rather pointless if you can't actually use them to get out of the dungeon. I am playing this from a new 1st level PC stand point, which most people are probably going to, not a 20th level character I ported from legacy DF with Recall, super OP equipment, Daedric Katana, etc. If people have to use the console just to actually play the game, it quickly becomes less fun (just ALT-F11 when you fall through into the void, if the dungeon is too big, (or generates with no exit) just cycle through the quest objectives until you find it or just save-scum until you get the easy guild quest you want, etc. turn on god mode if the game gets to hard...) too much of that, and the game becomes pointless and you go play something more robust. Trust me, as it is, most of the Skyrim kiddies are probably just going to DL Skygerfall, twink through it, and tell themselves that they basically played Daggerfall and finished the main quest. :lol:

[TL:DR]
The temporary solution I found was simple enough, though it took the DL time, I just copied the textures.dfmod from the previous build (R6) and overwrote the one from 2020 R1. Just one file, without having to roll back all the changes from the 2020 R1 pack for the one issue (at least it seems to be working atm). Have a good one.

pango

Post by pango »

We mentioned 3 workarounds before, you could have saved you trouble by just reading.
We also just described how the problem is already fixed in the next release.

Your rant is totally out of touch with non-commercial, non-profit projects, that's probably enough said.
-- Charles Goodhart