KoW - D.R.E.A.M.

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
King of Worms

Re: KoW - D.R.E.A.M.

Post by King of Worms »

pango wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 4:15 pm While being attacked by an ice atronach I noticed something strange: at the beginning of the attack, when it just raised his arm, there's a very pixelated frame (my best guess would be 293-5_0, but I'm not sure). I guess this one doesn't get correctly overridden...
very good catch! whole 293_5-0 to 293_5-4 is missing :X
will have to ask MasonFace to provide those, as a quick fix, I used the 4x resolution for now (it should be 8x and AI sharpened tho)

EDIT: Corrected properly now
Last edited by King of Worms on Sun May 26, 2019 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adrinus

Post by Adrinus »

Well, I decided I'd take another quick bash at it.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/o4ggg2awb ... 9.psd/file

I also touched up the hand for touch spells, and separated the dudes out to their own layers for you if you still don't like em.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

:) Thank you, I will use this one

I did some minor touch ups as well besides adding the shadows

The top figure is now mixed with the middle figure at 50%
Darkened the skull mouth
Added the missing half of a star to the area effect
Added slight darkness around the bolts from the sky and changed hue slightly so it fits rest of the icons
Added slight saturation to the snow flake
Tuned the sparks above the fire
Smoothened few gradients at the hand palm

Plus totally unnecessary cleanup of one dark pixel and some almost invisible straight lines around the stars at the area affect
And smoothened the 2 bone ends at the skull which seemed to be cut off

LOL

Tell me about overkill. But this is it. Final version, thanks for cooperation!!!
buttons spellmaker 5-26-19.png
buttons spellmaker 5-26-19.png (231.52 KiB) Viewed 1461 times

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Original (resized x6 nearest neighbor) vs Processed, this one really shows how much detail you can dig from a 320x200 img - upscale is 1920x1200 (6x original) its a mix of various filters, manual touchups and AI - view in full screen .)
Spoiler!
0-0.jpg
0-0.jpg (376.64 KiB) Viewed 1459 times
PRIS00I0.jpg
PRIS00I0.jpg (456.34 KiB) Viewed 1459 times

Adrinus

Post by Adrinus »

Wow on both counts! I approve of the changes and clean-up. And also, damn! That's incredible! That's probably pretty close to what the 3D models they used looked like!

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Adrinus wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 9:57 pm Wow on both counts! I approve of the changes and clean-up. And also, damn! That's incredible! That's probably pretty close to what the 3D models they used looked like!
Thank you, and yes, especially the AI focus pass brings up a lot of details .)
Some unwanted tho, so u have to fix that manually, but its fun anyway

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Its funny that whenever you think something will be easy and fast, and than you actually start doing it, you learn its not the case :D

I wanted to create a emission maps for a rats eyes for a long time. This mob with huge red eyes asks for it IMO

Ok

Than you realize, Bethesda hinted at the glowing eyes, but forgot that those should be visible even at the parts of the model, which are in shadow, so it ended like this:
255_5-3.png
255_5-3.png (338.89 KiB) Viewed 1401 times
And you cant just make one eye glowing. Plus you cant just draw the eye on a black emission map and hope it will fit...
So you end up creating those eyes on all the front facing frames :X

And you get something like this, makes more sense, right?
Notice the corrected upscaling artefact at the front leg
255_5-3 corrected.png
255_5-3 corrected.png (332.13 KiB) Viewed 1401 times
From this, you can finally create a emission map:
255_5-3_Emission.png
255_5-3_Emission.png (12.25 KiB) Viewed 1401 times
One single mob like this took me 3+ hours to do... but I do not complain.
I was just surprised at the problems I encountered .)

Plus there should be additional pass on the freshly created emission maps, which would make the eye outline somehow smoother and radiating a bit around...
Last edited by King of Worms on Mon May 27, 2019 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Than u need to make sure, the final count is 2x the original count, which was 80 so u need to get 160. And ofc you will not, because reasons. After finding all the errors, and making sure the _Emission suffix is all the time right and not like _Emissi"n or some variants, and after manually going thru all the frames and making sure it all actually makes sense, to realize it doesnt, and correct those, you get this:
count.jpg
count.jpg (544.43 KiB) Viewed 1385 times
And thats what u get ingame, I might tune it a bit as said in prev post, and maybe make it less bright, time will tell
Test.jpg
Test.jpg (289.18 KiB) Viewed 1389 times

pango

Post by pango »

Beside the fact I'm afraid this effect could end up being overused, I'd like to mention it doesn't look like real life "glowing eyes"...
In real life, glowing eyes comes from retina reflecting back the extra light it didn't absorb, so the glow is limited to the pupil.
Under dark conditions the pupil can be dilated (and for cats for example, very much so), but in no case is the whole eye glowing.

While Daggerfall glowing eyes could come from a totally different cause and have different mechanisms and effects, it doesn't change that it doesn't look natural. At least for non-magical monsters like rats, I think glowing eyes should match the real life phenomenon.

On a different topic, I noticed that in Arena some monsters have green glowing eyes too. That adds variety, but that's not in classic Daggerfall, as far as I remember...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Adrinus

Post by Adrinus »

Theoretically, the eyes would be the color of the reflector in the back of the eye. I've heard of a few rodents that truly have "red" eyes like this, but most felines have "green/white". I think it looks pretty great, and considering the effort involved, I'm not going to mention how nice they'd look if you truly made them "flash" when acted upon by a light source. (So when you pull your torch in the dark, the first thing you see are the eyes!)

Edit: Had a really silly idea. What happens when you do the AI magic on models I've edited? I wonder sometimes if the extra detail I add would be enough for the AI to make nicer results on them...