KoW - D.R.E.A.M.

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
King of Worms

Re: KoW - D.R.E.A.M.

Post by King of Worms »

Hi RedHook, thanks a lot for the new Khajiit faces!

The rest of Khajiit faces was done by me, they are not of some really high quality apparently, but they get the job done maybe. I was already thinking what could be done next, when the (I guess) 23 missing faces are finished (and thats very close to happen :geek: ) - that is in case you want to continue contributing ofc, which would indeed be great ;)

There are more options of what can be done next. I think Ive sent you a pack with ALL faces, right? If you feel like redoing some, I think its a option. I would not be against you redrawing my Khajiit faces. You are clearly a better artists than me.

The Argonian heads were done by me as well. They are simple, but they get the job done quite nicely if I can judge.

So maybe instead of redoing these, the vampires, which are really just a basic upscale, would be a viable choice. Thing is, these are not seen too much in game. Thats the reason why they are left as last.

Other than that, there might be another insteresting possibility, and that would be me sending you the NPCs. Maybe you would see a room for improvement there as well. Maybe that would be worth a try...

Another artistic touch might be ok for the paperdoll bodies..

Or the Portraits of the NPCs we see when we talk to them?

Im open for all these things. And I think I will leave the decission on you, what you feel like doing is the most important question here. I can pack it, sent it your way, you take a look and see for yourself. :)

RedHookGhost

Post by RedHookGhost »

Two more Cats. One more left, before moving on to the next task.

I'll do the Vampire faces first, though I do have questions about that. I'm not familiar with Daggerfall...I stopped playing my first playthrough in the opening tutorial dungeon and started doing these portraits. XD I'll start a new playthrough when I'm finished doing the player character stuff.

I do have your folder of all faces and it looks like there are 16 vampire portraits all together. My question is, are these vampire portraits for the player when they become vampires? If it's for players, does that mean there's only one vampire face per race/gender? So, if you become a vampire, your character changes to a completely different person? (Also to me two of them look like werewolves, am I crazy? I know you can become a werewolf/boar, are there portraits for that?)

Also the VAMP faces 0-7 are female and faces 8-15 are male, right? They're low-res enough that I want to make sure before I start drawing. Are they in the same numerical order as the other race portraits so 0-7 are Breton, Redguard, Nord, Dunmer, Altmer, Bosmer, Khajiit, Argonian in that order?

In the future, after all that's done, I could probably do the paper dolls and then NPC portraits. What needs to be improved with the paper dolls?

...I have a lot of questions. :?:
Attachments
FACE06I0.CIF_8-0.png
FACE06I0.CIF_8-0.png (223.46 KiB) Viewed 1613 times
FACE06I0.CIF_7-0.png
FACE06I0.CIF_7-0.png (183.57 KiB) Viewed 1613 times

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hi RedHook :)

Thanks a lot for the new faces!

So to answer some of the questions 1st:
are these vampire portraits for the player when they become vampire
exactly, when u turn to vampire, the character background changes and your head changes to vampire.
does that mean there's only one vampire face per race/gender
yes, thats how it is done. Only one vampire face per gender (2) and race (8) so 2*8=16 vampire heads

There is a mod which created all vampire faces https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/67
so its possible to do that, but that would need some more advanced scripting. I contacted the mod author in the past and he said he might add some options to provide HD vampire heads as a loose files later, but Im not sure he ever did that. His git is here, just for the record https://github.com/lonegamedev/dfu_mod_vampiric_options
if you become a vampire, your character changes to a completely different person?
Only head and character background changes :)
werewolf/boar
these have different mechanic to vampires, and these are already done. No need to worry about these. Werebeasts have a static image which replaces whole paperdoll. So basically its just 2 static images with baked in backgrounds and these images are kind of done. But thinking about it, I can send you these images for a revision :)
Also the VAMP faces 0-7 are female and faces 8-15 are male, right?
...so 0-7 are Breton, Redguard, Nord, Dunmer, Altmer, Bosmer, Khajiit, Argonian in that order?
Yes and yes, Ive double checked and this is the case.
What needs to be improved with the paper dolls?
Paperdolls... hmm just bodies. Rest is done (equip, clothing, weapons etc)
Bodies are already done and they look good, but given you are a very good artist, it could maybe worth a try to improve on these.

The character portraits are at quite a nice quality level, maybe there might be room for improvement, but I think the game look might be improved more if you took a look at the NPCs we meet when we wander around the game.

But basically, whats next, is up to you completely. 16 Bodies, NPCs, Portraits, 2x werebeasts. I think I will make another pack, send it to you, so you can see exactly what I mean and take your pick?

RedHookGhost

Post by RedHookGhost »

Last Khajiit.

Yes, please send me what you've got to work on. :)

I'll start on the vampire portraits. Then the paper dolls I think. (Since there are only two werebeast images, I can easily fit those in as well). NPC sprites might be after that, I'll figure out the rest as I get finished with each project.

If I can keep up the momentum, eventually, when everything else is covered, I'd be down for cleaning up some of the mob sprites. I know they're different and way more involved with individual frames for animations, and I don't know that I'd be committed to redoing them from the ground up, but touching them up would be fine. Much slower progress I'm sure.

But that would be the last thing, I want to save my energy for everything else first.
Attachments
FACE06I0.CIF_9-0.png
FACE06I0.CIF_9-0.png (199.9 KiB) Viewed 1542 times

RedHookGhost

Post by RedHookGhost »

I'm comparing the vampire faces to the list of player portraits and only maybe 6 of them are in any way similar to any of the options in each race/gender. The rest seem to be completely new faces not in any list.

...that is so strange.

I'll go ahead and do them, and then the rest of the projects. Do you want me to just update the given vamp faces, or alternatively would you like me to make Face.CIF_0-0 of each race into a vampire face, so it matches one of the given race/gender options? I'll do whatever you think is best. Either/Or would be the same amount of work required on my part.

I checked out the comments of the Vampire Options mod and the author replied this to someone:

23 July 2020, 9:50AM
As for the character faces - I think it makes the most sense to have this as an optional face pack. It is possible to allow overriding these new vampiric portraits with a custom "texture pack". I will add support for this in the next version (hopefully I will find a moment this weekend). I guess the hardest part will be convincing the artist to draw another 160 portraits (or make slight variations like I did) ;)

So yeah...I'll finish everything else on the list, then I might check in with the mod author to see if they did implement that ability...then maybe alter 160 portraits. That's a possible future project. I'll worry about it later. XD

RedHookGhost

Post by RedHookGhost »

Since it was one of the ones that matched the character portraits, I went ahead and vampirized the lady Dunmer. I did two options, with and without blood. I think I saw in a thread somewhere that people were interested in cleaner portraits. So there's a replacer for people if they want that option. It's easy to just put the blood on a different layer and save two different versions.

...I was about to post it to this thread, and then realized that I altered someone else's artwork to make a vampire face so that they would match. I just changed the mouth and added some darker shading, so it's VERY similar to the original. It's VAMP00I0.CIF_3-0. I assumed since they contributed to a mod that they would be fine with however it was used, but that's not an assumption I should make. Do you have the artist's permission to alter their work for this mod? I need to know that the artists who contributed aren't against someone repurposing their art. You have my permission by the way. I'll say that now.

If in the future you want to alter or have someone else alter any of the images I've contributed to your mod FOR the purposes of the mod or any other project for the game, I give you my written permission to do so right here. Like most others, I'd just like credit for the original images is all. If anyone else wants to use or alter my art, I'd just like if you asked first. I'll probably say yes, it's just polite is all.

If they didn't give permission for that, let me know. I'll have to redraw it from scratch. I don't want to step on any toes.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hi RedHook!

1st - GREAT job at finalizing the 23 faces, I waited and begged around for a year and you did it in like one week. I am very grateful for that, thank you!

Ive made the comparison of the normal vs vampire faces. The female faces fit quite a lot, male do not fit in most cases.
So Im not too sure what to do here. IF we do all 160 faces for vamps, it doesnt matter. If we do just these 16, Id say... pick the one which looks good and you feel like vampirizing it :)

About the legal rights, I got a permission of all authors to use their art, and using it also means fitting the heads to the paperdoll and that already required a ton of changes to their art - and nobody obliged to that - as if they did, the art alone was unusable. So Id say you are 100% free to go to further adjust the art, its already pre-adjusted by me.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Also thanks for your permission given!

Having the bloody/non bloody versions is a good idea, esp if its "just about" enabling/disabling a blood layer. Would be fine to have that. On the other hand, it will be extremely niche mod, most ppl will just go with vanilla looks. And it would also mean I have to create another Optional package and ppl will just not read the description and enable EVERYTHING just because and that would mean everybody will have bloodless vampires. DREAM has already 12 packages times 3 operating systems.
Not sure I want to complicate it even more honestly.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Ok edits are not working for me on the forums in my thread, so another post it is:

I added all your images (21 in total) and other artists images to the folder with the heads. So now I have a complete package for a 1st time. Going thru them, I can see some of the faces would benefit from your touch, I will write em down as I go thru it:

FACE04I0.CIF_0-0
FACE04I0.CIF_1-0
FACE04I0.CIF_2-0
(these were done by me, the nose section is very subpar, I cant draw those - if you could touch up on those (and u dont have to limit yourself to the nose only - it would be nice and the resulting set would be more coherent)

FACE05I0.CIF_0-0 (in short - my creation, subpar to the rest of the set done by you, feel free to adjust please)
FACE05I0.CIF_4-0 (my one, I like it but your touch would benefit it a lot)

FACE05I0.CIF_8-0
FACE05I0.CIF_9-0
These 2 are still vanilla, not sure if I did not sent you them, forgot to mention them, or I expected another artist to do them and it never happened, or you did them and I forgot to download them. Please check on these thanks a lot!

Uff, keeping track of everything is not as easy as well. But this is the result, not bad at all, just few details :)
I will make a pack of stuff you might work at.
But Im quite reluctant to do the bodies honestly, its so hard to fit the body color to the faces, lets postphone this to laters. I need to have all faces done, then fit em to bodies and than we can maybe do some work on bodies.

RedHookGhost

Post by RedHookGhost »

Thanks for letting me know! :)

I kept working on the images provided, because I thought it would be best to use what would match. If it turned out there wasn't permission given, I was going to scrap it and start over. Thankfully, I have a couple ready so far. Redguard and Dunmer ladies.

It's understandable about the optional images, that's a lot to deal with. I'll still keep the blood on a separate layer and save two images. If someone asks you about bloodless options, you can let me know and I can post them here or on the Nexus. For now, here are the two that are ready.

The Redguard vampire lady looked pretty close to 0-0 so I just altered that one. The only difference seemed to be added jewelry...so I made options for that too. XD

You can just pick the one you like and trash the other.

(I ended up renaming the files for convenience, so I could keep them organized. You can just delete the parentheses.)

I just saw your latest post, so I'll check out the images you listed tomorrow (or later today actually).

Now that it's 5 AM for me...I'm going to bed. XD
Attachments
VAMP00I0.CIF_3-0(blood).png
VAMP00I0.CIF_3-0(blood).png (378.07 KiB) Viewed 1489 times
VAMP00I0.CIF_1-0(jewelry-blood).png
VAMP00I0.CIF_1-0(jewelry-blood).png (67.21 KiB) Viewed 1489 times
VAMP00I0.CIF_1-0(blood).png
VAMP00I0.CIF_1-0(blood).png (64.35 KiB) Viewed 1489 times