I have now complete Masks. What an ordeal! I feel like a minor how-to is in order, just to make sure if anyone else ever needs to/ wants to do this again, they'll know how I did it.
First off, get the full version of daggerfall unity from github
, not just daggerfall tools standalone.
Then get unity, create a project, save it and close it. Replace the project files with the github DFU ones.
Set up unity as per the Tutorial
for setting up daggerfall tools.
Download the Texture Exporter Script
, and praise TheLacus' name for its existence. Put the .cs file into the Assets/Editor folder in the daggerfall unity project. Then under Daggerfall Tools> Texture Exporter you can have the game give you all the files of all dyes and materials from the texture folders you're working with (Daggerfall Imaging can help you find which archives).
Now you'll want to upscale them. KOW found a tricky, but functional program ESRGanResizer
You'll also want a couple "models" to upscale with: Get them at the bottom of this page
I used CartoonPainted 400000 for everything except chain, which needed manual editing (to fill the holes) and then use of cartoonpainted 5000 (less clean, but it kept the chainmail from looking too distorted). The settings were provided by King of Worms here
After you've done this the images will have a solid black background that needs to be removed. I used a utility called imagemagick for nearly all of the images, but a few with thinner lines needed manual work with the "magic wand" selection tool in Paint.Net. The imagemagick code I used is as follows:
Code: Select all
for %%f in (*.png) do convert %%f -fuzz 10 -transparent rgb(0,0,0) output/%%f
Make sure to add a folder named output next to the file. Any .png in the folder with the bat will be converted, and the results will be found in the output folder.
This will clean up some of the images perfectly. But many defects will result due to automated processes. To clean frayed, pixelated, or otherwise slightly garbled edges, I use a Paint.Net plugin called: AA's_Assistant by dpy.
Now after much editing and Anti-aliasing, you'll have all your images. Now it's time to add "Masks" to them:
Daggerfall Workshop has a small write-up
about this, but I found the language confusing and ended up trying every possible method until I got it.
So, you want to take the image, put it on a white or black background, cut the image out, leaving a transparent hole in the background. Your character's face will only be visible in the parts of the image where there is transparency; Anywhere the background remains will be cropped out of the paperdoll picture.
This is going to take some manual work, but it's only ~800 more to do, but at least imagemagick can help you out a little here.
Code: Select all
for %%f in (*.png) do convert %%f matte:- | convert -transparent black - output/%%f
Just like the other batch file, you'll need an "output" folder. This will make the image a silhouette with no transparency, and then will cut the silhouette out of the image, essentially leaving you a hole in the shape of your helmet. Now you'll need to manually edit it again to open up the area for necks etc. poking out under the helmets..etc.
And that's about that.
Here's the Masks: https://www.mediafire.com/file/ahk54t9a ... s.zip/file
That should about do it. We have paperdoll assets.