[MOD] Realtime Reflections

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
King of Worms

Re: [MOD] Realtime Reflections

Post by King of Worms »

Just to be sure about the DREAM + Reflections.
If I add metallic (lets say 30%) to the texture parameters in the unity editor, the reflections from your mod will show up, right Nystul?

I might add it to the smooth surfaces like the mages guild floor and the castle floors.
But it must look good even without your mod... otherwise Im not doing it. Thats to be seen after some testing

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

King of Worms wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:01 am Just to be sure about the DREAM + Reflections.
If I add metallic (lets say 30%) to the texture parameters in the unity editor, the reflections from your mod will show up, right Nystul?

I might add it to the smooth surfaces like the mages guild floor and the castle floors.
But it must look good even without your mod... otherwise Im not doing it. Thats to be seen after some testing
yeah, this should work! it creates planar reflections for floor textures and outdoor water textures

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thank you, I will try it.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Hey Nystul!

Do you think it would be possible to support custom shaders, like suggested by pango here?
I believe you wrote a modified version of both terrain shaders (texture arrays and old approach) and swap one of them with default at runtime; Can you give an insight of required changes to allow it to work with this mod?

pango

Post by pango »

On a different topic, I found a bad corner case; Some houses have reflexive floors in their attic, and this one reflects what's in the house, not in the attic:
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (224.86 KiB) Viewed 2445 times
Attachments
SAVE762.zip
(313.19 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

What kind of flooring do you want in our attic?

Polished stained glass. Obviously.

pango

Post by pango »

There's also some issue with ghosts/wraiths shader
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (138.22 KiB) Viewed 2439 times
Attachments
SAVE764.zip
(241.22 KiB) Downloaded 125 times
-- Charles Goodhart

pango

Post by pango »

Ralzar wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:40 am What kind of flooring do you want in our attic?

Polished stained glass. Obviously.
Yes, personally I don''t mind if the problem is fixed by removing reflection altogether in this case.

Talking of that, I really enjoy reflections in water, goes a long way to "sell" some textures as water.
Reflections in castles and mages guilds' marble? No problem, I'm sure they can find people to keep everything clean and impressive.
But who mobs the kilometers in corridor in the dungeons? :lol:
Even assuming some floors are polished to some extend, I'd expect the floors of animal caves, undead haunts, etc. to be covered in grim, dust and "organic material" (and not just dead skin ;) ) instead...
And yes, it may be difficult to adjust because technically castles are dungeons.
-- Charles Goodhart

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

pango wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:51 am There's also some issue with ghosts/wraiths shader
Screenshot.jpg
I will take a look, I bet the shader is also replaced by my mod, so I will try to make shader replacement more selective and prevent my mod to change this specific shader then.
pango wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:33 am On a different topic, I found a bad corner case; Some houses have reflexive floors in their attic, and this one reflects what's in the house, not in the attic:
Screenshot.jpg
realtime reflection mod computes 2 reflections textures:
outdoors it is 1 texture with reflections for current ground level (location) and 1 texture with sea reflections (important if current location's elevation is higher than sea level)
indoors it computes 1 texture for the current level of a building the pc is at the moment and 1 texture for the level below (if it manages to determine the lower floor)
I could imagine different reasons for the wrong reflections that can be seen in your screenshot:
  • it could be that the wrong reflection texture is used for some reason
  • the correct texture is used, but determination of current foot level of pc failed for some reason (this can happen if pc stands on the edge of a ladder)

pango

Post by pango »

Nystul wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:06 am
pango wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:51 am There's also some issue with ghosts/wraiths shader
Screenshot.jpg
I will take a look, I bet the shader is also replaced by my mod, so I will try to make shader replacement more selective and prevent my mod to change this specific shader then.
Actually I managed to reproduce the problem with Improved Lighting alone; So I must have been wrong about incriminating Realtime Reflections...

I created a new issue report
-- Charles Goodhart