Tedious Travel 0.4.2 (2019-10-16)

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
jedidia

Re: Tedious Travel 0.4.2 (2019-10-16)

Post by jedidia »

I am the extremely tedious sort who likes to travel at 1x.
Ok, I have to admitt, I didn't see *that* coming...

2 and 3 sound perfectly reasonable, I'll put them in. It just usually takes a while until I get around to spending a few hours on TT, and as it looks there will be quite a lot to do when the next time comes around. But I'll put it in eventually.
The ability to look around while maintaining your course during tedious travel. Based on the way I suspect this mod works, this is probably insurmountably difficult to implement.
It would be very impractical. First of all I'd have to render the menu as a hud element and make it keyboard controlled, which would probably be possible, but quite inconvenient. But the truth is, in order for me to not havie to replicate game mechanics like the characters current speed etc I actually use the games movement. I just point the character in the right direction and say "forward, march!" It's really just an auto-walk with time compression and direction keeping. Obviously that doesn't work very well if the player could look around...

JaceyLessThan3

Post by JaceyLessThan3 »

It just usually takes a while until I get around to spending a few hours on TT, and as it looks there will be quite a lot to do when the next time comes around. But I'll put it in eventually.
If my traveling style is any indication, I have some measure of patience, so whenever you decide to get to it is perfectly fine by me!

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

jedidia wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:07 am It would be very impractical. First of all I'd have to render the menu as a hud element and make it keyboard controlled, which would probably be possible, but quite inconvenient. But the truth is, in order for me to not havie to replicate game mechanics like the characters current speed etc I actually use the games movement. I just point the character in the right direction and say "forward, march!" It's really just an auto-walk with time compression and direction keeping. Obviously that doesn't work very well if the player could look around...
The real problem here is that you can't look around while on the horse. When I've made suggestions about mod to horse/wagon this is somethign I always include: While mounted, Strafe Left and Strafe Right get turned into Turn Left and Turn Right. Camera turning does not affect horse direction. You are able to pan the camera 90degrees left and right horizontally.
(No free camera movement, because then you need to draw a horse or wagon you are sitting on.)

Anyway, if something like THAT was made into a mod it might be able to work together with tedious travel to allow you to look around while fast traveling?

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Btw, having used this mod a while now: A small annoyance I have is that when you activate tedious travel it defaults to last used speed. This very often results in spinning into a house at x20 speed. Maybe an option in the mod to either use last speed or set a default speed? So you could set it to always start at x2 for example. For a slightly more controlled start to your journey :D

pango

Post by pango »

Either that, or find a reliable way to detect when you're stuck on something so that mods like TT can be automatically interrupted...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

This very often results in spinning into a house at x20 speed.
Well, I usually just go outside town boundaries before starting... but yeah, such an option can be added.
Whew, that's quite the todo list piling up for the next release.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

jedidia wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:05 am
This very often results in spinning into a house at x20 speed.
Well, I usually just go outside town boundaries before starting... but yeah, such an option can be added.
Whew, that's quite the todo list piling up for the next release.
I actually use tedious travel for in-city traveling. When I enter on the wrong edge of Daggerfall City for example. I just pick a town in the direction I want to go and set speed to x2 or x3. So tedious travel, makes it less tedious :D

Aleryn

Post by Aleryn »

For me this is a really bizarre mod. I started out really disliking it and almost uninstalling... but its cloying presence is growing on me rapidly. The port travel option is particularly brilliant - I saved up for a ship just for this mod. Much thanks to the creator and those involved.

Also, I humbly ask those relevant to consider an option for the mod to allow some exceptions to the travel time, or just allow boosting beyond 100 times normal speed. My reasoning is that sometimes I would like to get a bit more done in a limited timeframe but overall I really like the feeling the mod imparts to the game. However, ignore this idea if implementation would be overly difficult or troublesome.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Aleryn wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:47 am For me this is a really bizarre mod. I started out really disliking it and almost uninstalling... but its cloying presence is growing on me rapidly. The port travel option is particularly brilliant - I saved up for a ship just for this mod. Much thanks to the creator and those involved.

Also, I humbly ask those relevant to consider an option for the mod to allow some exceptions to the travel time, or just allow boosting beyond 100 times normal speed. My reasoning is that sometimes I would like to get a bit more done in a limited timeframe but overall I really like the feeling the mod imparts to the game. However, ignore this idea if implementation would be overly difficult or troublesome.
Yeah, I started out wondering how the hell this would work. But now it feels like cheating to play without. WHat? You can just "teleport" anywhere in the world? No chance of encounters along the way. No need to plan your route. No difference between going to the next town over or to the other side of the map?
Tedious Travel has made the world much more real for me. Allthough it has painfully poited out the lack of roads in Daggerfall :D

Btw, if you haven't: use Tedious Travel together with Warm Ashes. Traveling can become more of an adventure than the dungeon crawling.

Aleryn

Post by Aleryn »

Thanks for the recommendation, Ralzar. Truth is I've had Warm Ashes downloaded for months and have been sorta 'saving it up' as random encounter mods are my favourite addition to just about any RPG. Heck, its what sold me on Pathfinder Kingmaker. Have to set camp, hunt wildlife for sustenance, AND deal with encounters. That aside, its so nice being under open sky more with Tedious Travel =)