Tedious Travel 0.4.2 (2019-10-16)

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Hazelnut

Re: Tedious Travel 0.2.0

Post by Hazelnut »

No problem, let me know if you have any questions or need any assistance. I love this mod idea, so very happy to support it. (also still happy to help if you change your mind on extending core window class..)
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

Its clip clopping every 3 seconds when fast traveling on the horse, and the wagon, with the latest on Github.
It just cuts out, and starts again..
Walking is still silent, like it was before.
I really like the new encounter notification, that was a good idea...

So now, it's totally cool to go get a soda, you just have to be back before you arrive :lol:
It makes perfect sense !
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

jedidia wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:01 pm
I thought I had mentioned this somewhere, but maybe not.
You did, but I didn't quite know what you meant and didn't have the time to check up on it. Thanks for the pointers.
Actually you may find just looking at the history for the class easier, as I made other changes recently to fix fast travel from ships.

https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... pWindow.cs
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

Its clip clopping every 3 seconds when fast traveling on the horse, and the wagon, with the latest on Github.
At first I just read "it's clipping every 3 seconds" and was seriously worried that it's completely broken now... :lol:

Probably something changed with the hoof sound handling in the last release. I had a busy time, so I didn't even get around to testing it with that yet.

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

Man I absolutely love this mod I don't know how you thought of this stuff it is the best way to play Daggerfall Unity for me.

So I've been playing for about 2 weeks every couple of days for hours and I'm thinking the max speed should be 10 maybe 20.
Now I play with texture packs and mods Galore so I know that's contributing to the choppiness, but that's what it is.
Actually for me 10 is playable but it's super choppy, and I default to 5 every time.

I think we need 1 through five, as option.
I know somebody already said this so let me just second that (I have my heart dead set on playing a 3x speed version).

And that's pretty much it, I don't mind the clip clapping,.
The amount of insane Random Encounters I'm having since they turned on the alternate enemy spawn thing, is just that- insane.

I have found more locations and visited more weird shops in tiny little ambiguous towns on the way in this thing that I ever did in classic.
The views with this thing + the distant Terrain with everything going, oh man this stuff is crazy, like seriously you guys have to see this stuff to believe it I almost can't believe I'm playing a game here.

It's like some kind of landscaping demo show or something.
Like for real, this stuff is free it freaks me out LOL !

Thanks you guys I love you guys and gals
Check out my YouTube Channel!

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

I think we need 1 through five, as option.
Ok, that's not a problem at all.

If only I'd get around to it... busy time here lately. Should get better again soon, though.

pango

Post by pango »

Actually, there's something that could be even more interesting (gameplay wise) than a fallback to the original fast travel.
It would be a fallback to fast travel with random encounters (but maybe that's what you had in mind already).

You plan your travel, decide to go with fast travel mode, day counter starts going down, and suddenly,
"Somebody is seeking to put a premature end to your journey..."
As you validate the message, you're drawn into action at the estimated time and place of encounter to resolve it the way you want, before you can resume your travel.

Maybe that would only happen with reckless speed. I don't remember if that's how it worked in Arena, it's been a very long time since I played it...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

pango wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:30 pm Maybe that would only happen with reckless speed. I don't remember if that's how it worked in Arena, it's been a very long time since I played it...
That sounds great! :) Reckless travel needs more risk for its reward.

jedidia

Re: Tedious Travel 0.2.1

Post by jedidia »

It took a while until I got around to this, but here it is.

Now with log-link support, time compression below five adjustable in steps of 1, and a few issues fixed.
Didn't get the occasional clop-sound fixed, and I'm not sure at this point if I can...

There's also a little something I'd like to add about general class design (as in software):
If your property is writeable, it should by default also be readable, unless there's a good reason for it not to be. Vice versa obviously doesn't apply: Read-only properties are standard, but write-only properties are just restricting potential for no gained benefits except in certain circumstances (Like for example if you can't guarantee that the value of the property is current or meaningful at all times).
I feel like following such a paradigm would benefit the modability of the code a lot. In the case of the travel map, it would have saved me at least three reflection calls, and avoiding those is always a good thing. Because if there *is* a situation that indeed necessitates a write-only property, people won't think twice about reflecting into it if they've done it a few times before...
This isn't a call for a refactor or anything. Just a suggestion you might find worth to keep in mind in the future.

jedidia

Re: Tedious Travel 0.2.2

Post by jedidia »

Just pushed a quickfix for something that slipped by me. Sorry for the trouble.