Tedious Travel 0.4.2 (2019-10-16)

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Kayzee

Re: Tedious Travel 0.3.0

Post by Kayzee »

jedidia wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:11 am
Honestly I think it would be better if there was an option where if you are in wilderness it would show where you are on the travel map and skip loading terrain, while still checking if you get close to a new area or have an encounter and stuff like that.
Something like this is possible, but it would be a whole other mod. TT currently pretty much relies on the whole game running normally, whether that is in the background or on-screen doesn't really make much of an impact in performance...
I just figured if it was in the background you could just have it simulate the world with all flat terrain or something. Perhaps make it automatically turn the draw distance way way down so it only loads/simulates a small area instead of skipping terrain loading all together? Not really sure, but I figured if it was in the background you might be able to take shortcuts that would otherwise make the visual quality suffer. Maybe not.
jedidia wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:11 am
Also, as long as there is a fast forward walking system, it would be pretty useful if you could also double click on someplace while in the map screen of an exterior map like a city to auto walk there.
Without pathfinding, you'd just get stuck everywhere. And pathfinding is way out of the scope here.
Probably a lot of the time yeah, but honestly I kinda feel it would be helpful even if you did tend to get stuck a lot. Just being able to set a waypoint and walk in the general direction I think would be nice even if you had to stop and go around stuff manually sometimes.

That said, doesn't Daggerfall Unity already have a sort of pathfinding system in cities/towns for mobile NPCs? Would be sort of useful for pathing to city gates at least I think. No idea how well it could be used to actually path around in a city form point a to point b, but I think it might be useful. Eh, maybe someday, I am not too worried about it.

pango

Post by pango »

Kaedius wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 1:57 am I fixed compatibility with modded textures by passing in the size and position of the buttons as two vectors, which seems to have done the trick!
A better fix, admittedly harder but that would lower the risks of breaking again the next time somebody updates DaggerfallTravelMapWindow, would be to use this class as much as possible and override just what's necessary (something suggested by Hazelnut a while back).
Just saying, because I sent a PR that would modify DaggerfallTravelMapWindow too...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

I submitted a pull request with some of pangos suggestions.
Wow, thanks a *lot*! Sorry I didn't reply earlier, the weekend was somewhat murderous. I should have enough time to merge and release this evening, though.
A better fix, admittedly harder but that would lower the risks of breaking again the next time somebody updates DaggerfallTravelMapWindow, would be to use this class as much as possible and override just what's necessary
It wouldn't be harder if the base class was built for it. The way it's right now it wouldn't just be harder, it would be a completely ugly, unsafe hack with bad performance, since basically it would become a wrapper that communicates with the contained class almost exclusively by reflection.
It would probably work, but I... just can't stomach the thought of such an abomination.

pango

Post by pango »

jedidia wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 7:05 am It wouldn't be harder if the base class was built for it. The way it's right now it wouldn't just be harder, it would be a completely ugly, unsafe hack with bad performance, since basically it would become a wrapper that communicates with the contained class almost exclusively by reflection.
It would probably work, but I... just can't stomach the thought of such an abomination.
It's not like we have no control over the base class! So it would just first require changes to DFU code...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

So it would just first require changes to DFU code...
Technically, yes.
Practically, it's not quite "just". That is quite a refactor, and I didn't want to suggest it, because it would essentially make the DFU API inconsistent, with some UI classes being open and some final, without much rhyme or reason. It seems... rude to do that to somebody elses code, especially since it could be a major pain later on, in case somebody wants to tackle a general UI refactor.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

jedidia wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 11:53 am
So it would just first require changes to DFU code...
Technically, yes.
Practically, it's not quite "just". That is quite a refactor, and I didn't want to suggest it, because it would essentially make the DFU API inconsistent, with some UI classes being open and some final, without much rhyme or reason. It seems... rude to do that to somebody elses code, especially since it could be a major pain later on, in case somebody wants to tackle a general UI refactor.
Which is why I offered to make the changes you needed to the base class. I could still do this if you were to list the extension hooks you need - i.e. where you have changed stuff. I guess this is all water under the bridge by now though, and you accepted the maintenance of a wholly stand alone class which is fine.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

Which is why I offered to make the changes you needed to the base class. I could still do this if you were to list the extension hooks you need
The problem is of course, those hooks are somewhat in flux. I just took the time to merge Kaedius' pull requests, and realised that while the map now works, it doesn't use the overrides for the textures, and looking at all that's changed to facilitate that, the maintenance effort of an inheriting class wouldn't be that much less than what I have now, since the logic isn't compartmentalised enough (i.e. I would be overriding most of the changes anyways, resulting in the same problem). I still think a refactor thourough enough to actually matter is just not worth it for the one mod...

Update of TT will take another while, this will take a bit to diff and test properly...

jedidia

Re: Tedious Travel 0.4.0 (2019-05-29)

Post by jedidia »

And done. Sorry everybody this update took so long. Most of this update is really by Kaedius, I just pulled the map through a diff in the end to adapt to the new way the overlay panel is handled to enable mod support. A pitty visual studios diff tools are somewhat rudimentary...

Also, promptly ran into a wereboar during testing, went to an Inn, dreamt of the moon. Great work everyone! :lol:

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Awesome all around :)

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

jedidia wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:45 pm And done. Sorry everybody this update took so long. Most of this update is really by Kaedius, I just pulled the map through a diff in the end to adapt to the new way the overlay panel is handled to enable mod support. A pitty visual studios diff tools are somewhat rudimentary...

Also, promptly ran into a wereboar during testing, went to an Inn, dreamt of the moon. Great work everyone! :lol:
Splendid !
Check out my YouTube Channel!