Tedious Travel 0.4.2 (2019-10-16)

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Kamer

Re: Tedious Travel 0.4.2 (2019-10-16)

Post by Kamer »

jedidia wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:10 am
It would be great if you could add your mod to the Daggerfall Unity category on nexusmods.com, too:
Nope, a bit too public for me, sorry. I hardly get around to maintain the thing as it is, I don't need the audience of the Nexus nagging me about it. This way, there's at least another forum or github registration separating me from the wider audience :lol:
Fyi you can disable all discussions about it on your mod page ;)

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

Having a new character that's not very combat focused, getting the money for a horse together takes a bit longer than usual, so I decided to settle for a cart for now.

That's when I noticed another interesting little feature of daggerfall that probably noone ever noticed so far: Moving by cart is just about in the middle between on foot and a horse, but... It does not consume any stamina! For tedious travel this means that you can travel for days on end, and it will be quicker measured by in-game time than a horse.
Who'd have thought?

On the other hand, whenever I run from enemies, this is basically what it looks like in my head:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH2TzEYVYto :lol:

Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Does this work with the latest version of DFU? If I enable this mod I get a black screen when loading into the game and then it crashes.

pango

Post by pango »

Jammer wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:34 am Does this work with the latest version of DFU? If I enable this mod I get a black screen when loading into the game and then it crashes.
Did you wait a minute or two (depending on how fast your computer is)?

Quoting this module description:
jedidia wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:22 pm
important: When you load your first save after activating the mod, it will export some data to the Mods/TediousData folder.
This might take a minute or two, during which the screen remains black and the game appears to have frozen, but is only necessary the first time around.

also important for 0.4.2: Will export data even if you had a prior version installed. DFUnity now provides a standard folder for mods to store persistent data in, so Tedious Travel now uses that folder.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Thanks, that was it :oops:

pango

Post by pango »

Well, it would help if mods had some way to display status messages during initialization... :cry:
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

Thanks for explaining that again Pango, looks like this is a recurring issue. Unsurprisingly...
Well, it would help if mods had some way to display status messages during initialization...
Indeed. I was trying everything to get a message on-screen before the export starts, but whatever I did, they wouldn't pop up until the first frame was rendered. Honestly I think this a problem because any long-running process is holding up the render loop (obviously). I should probably just set a flag on start, display the message, and do the export in the next frame, but damn I hate that constant flag-setting. It's a bloody hack that I'd really have expected synchronous loop-based frameworks to have found a better solution for.

Songhunter

Post by Songhunter »

This mod + warm ashes rule so much it's insane.

What a way to bring to life and make use of the vast expanses of this game. Bravo sir.

And to all of you who think it's insane considering the distances....perhaps a little. I definately thought at first it wasn't going to be my cup of tea, but... try it. Just try it and you'll see. Add Warm Ashes and the Daggerfall Skyshard mods and suddently, traveling from point A to point B will become a nice little adventure.

What a superb idea and great execution. Keep it up my good man!

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

Thanks for the kind words! :)

DFIronman

Post by DFIronman »

Hey, I'm having an issue with NPCs becoming invulnerable that I suspect is due to an exception being thrown.

Code: Select all

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at TediousTravel.TediousTravel.InterruptFastTravel () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at TediousTravel.TediousTravel.<Start>m__1 () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.UserInterface.UserInterfaceWindow.RaiseOnCloseHandler () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.UserInterface.UserInterfaceWindow.CloseWindow () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at TediousTravel.TediousTravelControllMenu.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.DaggerfallUI.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
I'm using the newest version with "Disable Pausing" from Ironman Game Systems. I don't know if this occurs when pausing is enabled, but I don't think there's anything I can do about it from my end. My guess is that it's happening when Tedious Travel tries to interrupt fast travel when it has already been interrupted (say, because, multiple encounters are occurring). This is probably fine when pausing is enabled, but breaks the game when it's not.

Would you be able to add some null checks or a try/catch there to prevent the exception from being thrown?

Edit: Also, it doesn't seem like the stopping travel on disease is working. I see you're doing it by disease count, but I think that's incremented the moment you get infected (before incubation's over and before the player is aware that he/she is diseased). At least, it hasn't stopped in any of my tests.