Tedious Travel 0.4.2 (2019-10-16)

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Shinino

Re: Tedious Travel 0.4.1 (2019-06-08)

Post by Shinino »

So one thing I've noticed with the combination of Tedious Travel and Warm Ashes is that if a non-hostile encounter happens with Warm Ashes -- it'll pop up, then Tedious Travel will kick in and race you away from it. Is there a way possibly to make it where (even as an option in settings) to have it knock you completely out of Tedious Travel so that you can investigate to see what's going on?

This really isn't a huge issue, and may be more of an unintended consequences -- although I've noticed sometime with hostile encounters that it can speed me away also. I just think that being able to run away that easily from things is a bit immersion breaking to me.

If it can't be done, that's fine.

pango

Post by pango »

I added an OnEncounter delegate in Daggerfall Unity 2 months ago that could be used to trigger mods immediately.
Hopefully that can be used to fix that specific issue (I submitted a proof of concept change for Tedious Travel, but it doesn't work very well, so there's still some work to do).
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

apprihensivsoul

Post by apprihensivsoul »

This may have been suggested, but would it be possible to have a map display version of this? One of my favorite travel maps is that of the Fallout series (1-2), where it felt like you were actually navigating the world between encounters. Would it be possible to implement something like that, where you still see the map as the display, but it shows you moving in real time like the mod?

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

I added an OnEncounter delegate in Daggerfall Unity 2 months ago that could be used to trigger mods immediately.
My life has been kind of on hold for the past month with several things going not according to plan, so I haven't gotten around to look at this... I hope things will get more quiet again now, though my workload will remain pretty tough for at least a couple of months. So... no telling yet when I'll feel up to actually making something of this, sorry.
This may have been suggested, but would it be possible to have a map display version of this?
Possible certainly, but it would be different mod. The thing with the current TT implementation is that I can still let the game do most things for me (like encounters, passage of time, positioning, timed effects, stamina consumption, travel speed, etc), while a map travel thing would have to implement most of these things on its own, so it's quite a bit more work. It was a fallback plan in case the time acceleration didn't work out.
One of my favorite travel maps is that of the Fallout series
I liked that well enough, but nothing beats travelling in Realms of Arkania 2 (star trail I think was the english title?)... It's basically the oregon trail, except just as a travel mechanic for a fantasy RPG that is great all around.

pango

Post by pango »

jedidia wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:06 am My life has been kind of on hold for the past month with several things going not according to plan, so I haven't gotten around to look at this... I hope things will get more quiet again now, though my workload will remain pretty tough for at least a couple of months. So... no telling yet when I'll feel up to actually making something of this, sorry.
No problem, real life takes precedence. I hope things will settle, take care.
-- Charles Goodhart

Guy_Duderson

Post by Guy_Duderson »

I'm not sure if this is intentional or not, but levitation really seems to break fast travel where my character refuses to move until the levitation effect ends. Does anyone know why this happens? Like if it's a normal part of how the game normally works or if it's a part of the mod? I'm definitely also wondering if anyone knows anything I could try to make it so my character can fast travel while levitating. Fast traveling through the skies with a 'cast while held levitation magic item sounds like it'd be pretty cool if it were possible.

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

Huh... could be several things preventing that, I'll have to look into it. Didn't think of levitation until now, honestly...

SirCarcass

Post by SirCarcass »

I'm not sure if it's even possible, but something I would absolutely love is this mod as another travel option rather than a replacement for fast travel. I love the idea of a sped up auto-travel, but sometimes I just want to fast travel somewhere and get on with things.

pango

Post by pango »

SirCarcass wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:58 pm I'm not sure if it's even possible, but something I would absolutely love is this mod as another travel option rather than a replacement for fast travel. I love the idea of a sped up auto-travel, but sometimes I just want to fast travel somewhere and get on with things.
It has been asked a few times already:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1293&start=20#p15551
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1293&start=100#p21235
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1293&start=110#p21760

jedidia's answers can be found page 12, starting with viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1293&start=110#p21762
And it's *designed* to be this way. It was the intention. it's about more than just looking at the scenery. It's about managing your stamina and planning your trips. Not world-hopping villy-nilly all over the place, but engage the region you're in in a more meaningful way. About stopping at ins to have organic encounters or risking to rest in the wild. In my opinion, the mod would be mostly pointless if it could be turned off without restarting the game.
(again, more answers p. 12)
-- Charles Goodhart

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I actually have two DFUs installed since the game restarts so darn fast: one with TT enabled and the other disabled. It's literally faster to double-click the other version than to go in and disable the mod :lol: