Tedious Travel 0.4.2 (2019-10-16)

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Hazelnut

Re: Tedious Travel 0.2.2

Post by Hazelnut »

Not used this mod yet, since DFU isn't finished I playtest rather than just play. Fully intend to use it when we hit 1.0 though! Anyway I had assumed that you could use it to travel by foot or on a horse, with on foot being slower. So what's the issue with the horse head? I'd be happy to make adjustments if they're needed to smooth it working with the mod rather than it being disabled when using the mod.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

I ended up using this mod, when I thought I wouldn't. Makes me feel more like a travelling wizard, when I have a cart and a horse pulling it. Also more like a travelling wizard when I cast Levitation because the city gates are too far away to bother with. :D ...Maybe that's the real reason Levitation was banned by the time of Oblivion? Too many wizards just flying over the city gates!

...Is it bad when you keep thinking of ways to mod cart and horse movement so that they work more like an actual cart and horse? Complete with velocity and rotation?

Anyway, I do have a request: When my character enters tedious travel, they auto-face their destination. That's fine. But when they come out of tedious travel, they're reset back to where they were facing before, and that's kind of jarring. Anyway, can you make it so the PC keeps their facing when they come out of travel?
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

But when they come out of tedious travel, they're reset back to where they were facing before, and that's kind of jarring.
This is something that happened during development that was fixed... Maybe something got broken by a new DFU version, I'll have a look one of these days. It's been a while since I fired it up, it's a pretty busy time. Can anybody else confirm the issue?
Maybe that's the real reason Levitation was banned by the time of Oblivion? Too many wizards just flying over the city gates!
It was, actually, but not because they were afraid of people being lazy. Oblivion did the fundamental change from Morrwind and Daggerfall to have towns be their own world area (I assume performance was the main driving factor of that decision), rather than being present directly in the world. In other words, if you'd levitate into a town over the walls without using the gates, you'd not actually be in the town. You'd be in a low-LOD husk of it without any doors or NPCs, because the actual "inside of the town" never got loaded.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I think the optimalizations of the loading/streaming of the terrain Hazelnut did for 0.7.32 are quite noticeable (CPU FX8300) and this mod will benefit from it quite a bit. Great job IMO

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

jedidia wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:21 am
Maybe that's the real reason Levitation was banned by the time of Oblivion? Too many wizards just flying over the city gates!
It was, actually, but not because they were afraid of people being lazy. Oblivion did the fundamental change from Morrwind and Daggerfall to have towns be their own world area (I assume performance was the main driving factor of that decision), rather than being present directly in the world. In other words, if you'd levitate into a town over the walls without using the gates, you'd not actually be in the town. You'd be in a low-LOD husk of it without any doors or NPCs, because the actual "inside of the town" never got loaded.
Well, yeah, but I was talking about lore-wise. :P :)

And the official lore there is "Too many wizards not keeping track of levitation duration and falling from the sky." :)
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

King of Worms wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:29 am I think the optimalizations of the loading/streaming of the terrain Hazelnut did for 0.7.32 are quite noticeable (CPU FX8300) and this mod will benefit from it quite a bit. Great job IMO
Thanks KoW, I'd like to point out Nystul did half of that work so he should get credit for it. :D

We're currently seeing what other improvements can be made for terrain generation performance, but glad to see someone else finds the improvements noticeable. One of the hopes is that tedious travel mod becomes smoother, and more easily usable at higher time dilation.

To that end, can I ask how the current upper limit of 25x was chosen? I think this should be able to be raised and once the optimisations are complete I would like to suggest a new value, but that assumes it was chosen due to technical performance limitation reasons so I thought I should ask. I need to make my own version of the mod and experiment with higher values once we get to that stage.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

pango

Post by pango »

For me, it's installing D.R.E.A.M. at the same time that made a difference; Because otherwise terrain computation time is dwarfed by the mod textures loading times.

So, to keep in short: Tedious Travel + 0.7.32 + DREAM = smooth traveling
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

but that assumes it was chosen due to technical performance limitation reasons so I thought I should ask.
It was, though somewhat arbitrarily.
The problem is that at some point, you start outrunning terrain generation and fall of the map. 25 was chosen because it seemed a reasonable maximum value where this didn't yet happen on lower mid-range hardware in a good days travel, though without mods. With the KoW overhaul, I actually started to fall of the map way sooner.
Also, the higher the compression, the more it exacerbates the problems with "false encounters" (an enemy *was* nearby, and travelling stopped, but you already outran him and he was nowhere to be seen) and overshooting destinations. All things that are depending on performance, of course.

I'll have to get myself a new install with DREAM one of these days to see how it holds up now.
...Is it bad when you keep thinking of ways to mod cart and horse movement so that they work more like an actual cart and horse? Complete with velocity and rotation?
Daggerfall Unity - Ben Hur edition! :lol:

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

this time warp fast travelling seems to be a unique dfunity feature - can't remember seeing anything similar anywhere else.

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

this time warp fast travelling seems to be a unique dfunity feature - can't remember seeing anything similar anywhere else.
It's very common in flight sims. Just that there you're flying, not walking. Concept is the same, though.
It was also present in the Sea dog games. Usually used while sailing, but you could also shorten some longer walks with it.