Tedious Travel 0.4.2 (2019-10-16)

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Regnier

Re: Tedious Travel 0.4.2 (2019-10-16)

Post by Regnier »

Ive been hopping into the void when i travel sometimes.

i usually go really fast so it could be caused by that.

pango

Post by pango »

Regnier wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:28 pm i usually go really fast so it could be caused by that.
Yes, you must be outrunning terrain generation on your computer.
Use less computing intensive terrain generator (Distant Terrain is more expensive than Mountains & Hills or default terrain generation), watch out for graphic intensive mods (say, Real Grass), or simply travel at a pace compatible with your computer hardware.

It would be better if some safety was in place, but none is implemented yet.
And in any case that's not something that Tedious Travel mod can fix.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Kraggy

Post by Kraggy »

Every time I run DFU with Tedious Travel the program comes up "not responding" after clicking Exit Game .. every time I run DFU without Tedious Travel the game exists cleanly.

Is this something that others are seeing or is it only me?
Last edited by Kraggy on Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pango

Post by pango »

Kraggy wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:04 pm Every time I run DFU with Tedious Travel the program comes up "not responding" after clicking Ext Game .. every time I run DFU without Tedious Travel the game exists cleanly.

Is this something that others are seeing or is it only me?
It does happen with some mods, that will be investigated eventually but it's expected to be complex (some issue with the way Unity jobs are used?) and it's not game breaking so it's on standby for now...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Kraggy

Post by Kraggy »

Okay, thanks, I hadn't seen that thread (a search for "tedious" came up with several pages of to be honest I didn't wade through them all), I'll do some testing to see if I can provide any more info than is already posted in that thread.

podslapper

Post by podslapper »

The mod causes my game to crash instantly. I've gone through each mod I have, and all work fine except for this one. I've tried it with existing saves and a new game, I've tried messing with the mod order list, and I've tried disabling each other mod I have while running Tedious Travel, but nothing seems to be working sadly. Here's my mod list in case there are any conflicts that you know of:

Archaologists
Convenient Clock
Roleplay Realism
Climates and Cloaks
Villagers Immersive Overaul
Helmet Swap
Filling Food
Persistent Dungeons
Harvestable Crops
Loot Realism
Outfit Manager
Tedious Travel

This is one of the mods I was most looking forward to, so I'm pretty bummed out about this. Any suggestions?

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Note: first time startup with tedious travel takes a looooong time. So you might be running into this, thinking it crashed.

Ah_Ftagn

Post by Ah_Ftagn »

Okay, so, I have a personal objection to having a hard dependency (read: Req) on one mod for another mod that, while potentially complimentary, is not directly related to the other.

Climates and Calories has this exact situation with TT. The fact is, we don't have enough alternatives to each mod to go requiring one mod to make another that previously worked fine without it require a second.

This is only going to drive away people from both mods. It very nearly did to me (Pro tip: Do NOT use the wilderness encounters mod alongside this mod if you value your sanity)

I'm posting this here because the author of Climates and Calories outright said that Tedious Travel was to blame for requiring this specific method of integration, on their nexus page. I'm simply going to what that mod author said was the source of this issue.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Yeah, the problem here is that the Tedious Travel author has gone AWOL as far as we know. And the mod is not even at version 1.0. So we're stuck working around what he left us with.
Hopefully there will be an update to Climate & Calories that will make it possible to use it without TT, but it's a bit beyond my coding skils so I'll need one of the grownups to look at it :D

Ah_Ftagn

Post by Ah_Ftagn »

Damn. That's sad. After a bit of playing with Tedious Travel I kind of realized that it's not as bad as I thought it was (Most of my short and long term issues with the mod were due to a combination of the starvation system in your mod having pre-existing characters default to over a week of starvation, plus the use of a wilderness encounters mod that wouldn't let me sufficiently reduce those to avoid constant interruption).

I mean, if this mod got an update that added the ability to pay caravans in towns/temples to use the original fast travel to other towns/temples in the same or neighboring provinces (the way ports work now, but with restrictions on distance more or less), It'd become something I would outright have to keep on my load order to make the ideal version of daggerfall for myself. Doubly so with a warning for travelling long distances when the trip could be better made in multiple short hops.