Tedious Travel 0.4.2 (2019-10-16)

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
SirCarcass

Re: Tedious Travel 0.4.1 (2019-06-08)

Post by SirCarcass »

pango wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:21 pm
SirCarcass wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:58 pm I'm not sure if it's even possible, but something I would absolutely love is this mod as another travel option rather than a replacement for fast travel. I love the idea of a sped up auto-travel, but sometimes I just want to fast travel somewhere and get on with things.
It has been asked a few times already:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1293&start=20#p15551
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1293&start=100#p21235
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1293&start=110#p21760

jedidia's answers can be found page 12, starting with viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1293&start=110#p21762
And it's *designed* to be this way. It was the intention. it's about more than just looking at the scenery. It's about managing your stamina and planning your trips. Not world-hopping villy-nilly all over the place, but engage the region you're in in a more meaningful way. About stopping at ins to have organic encounters or risking to rest in the wild. In my opinion, the mod would be mostly pointless if it could be turned off without restarting the game.
(again, more answers p. 12)
Thank you for that. I looked through about half of the thread, but didn't see those posts.

I totally respect his vision for his mod, but I'll just throw out that this is something that a number of people seem to be interested in. Maybe spin it off as a separate mod called "Less Tedious Tedious Travel" or whatever. I don't know, something to think about. :D

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

I'll just throw out that this is something that a number of people seem to be interested in. Maybe spin it off as a separate mod called "Less Tedious Tedious Travel" or whatever. I don't know, something to think about.
Trouble is, right now I don't even find the time to maintain those parts of the mod I actually *want* to maintain and fix...
So all I can respond to this right now is that the code is there, make it so. As mentioned several times, I'm not opposed to the mod providing that option, I'm just opposed to me investing time in it.
And in case my merging and releasing the changes are too slow for somebody's taste (because it certainly wouldn't be quick right now), I also won't get upset if somebody forks the thing and continues developing and releasing it on their own. I'm not a complicated person that way.

Levethian

Post by Levethian »

I adore this mod! Thank you Jedidia :P

Imperivm

Post by Imperivm »

I must say, I waited for Daggerfall Unity to enter Alpha, so I just started playing. And oh boy, this mod is something I've always wanted and didn't really know it. Instant fast travel took away all the impact of how long and far I travel. You could get to other side of the map in seconds with no challenge or fanfare. Felt unrewarding and without consequence or investment (aside from gold). But with this mod even traveling for trivial quests becomes part of your life as an adventurer. You decide where to rest every time, you keep an eye on your stamina and nearby places to rest and resupply. It made me think and remember towns and routs. It's incredibly immersive.

So thank you for this mod and your work on it, for it have increased my joy from playing a game I already love a ton.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

From Vondur's current video series: https://youtu.be/cBywUal2koU?t=1497

There are some quest locations that simply can't be reached, except by teleportation. There's no port city where he's trying to go. Not sure if feature or bug?

Adrinus

Post by Adrinus »

Ok, this is a bit out there, but hear me out:

Can you make it so I can read a book from my inventory while travelling? I know it sounds crazy, but think of it from a roleplay perspective: How do books get read? You could hole up in a tavern if you wanted, maybe the mage guild library, but on the road seems just ideal: what else are you going to do with your time?

Asesino

Post by Asesino »

Hi, first off, it is a wonderful mod; well done.
I am having a small problem. Without this mod, when i use the world map, Pango's excellent function works perfectly, but when this mod is activated, the functionality defaults back to the original format where you need to spell everything exactly to match up.

Perhaps, i am configuring something incorrectly?

thanks

pango

Post by pango »

No settings, it's a consequence of this mod replacing the whole travel map with its own code: each time the standard travel map evolves, the mod has to be updated to match.
I submitted a PR to add improved find to Tedious Travel, but 0.10.5 should come with a travel map rewrite to fix performance issues. From what I can tell Tedious Travel 0.4.1 still works fine with it, but will have to be updated with that too to benefit from performances fixes.
Oh, and on some platforms (including OS X), the mods directory may not be writable, so TheLacus has been working on moving mod settings into Persistent Data, and recently added some location where mods can cache data. From what I understand the former should be transparent for mods, but ideally Tedious Travel should put its port towns list in cache too.
No matter the way you slice the problem, maintaining a mod takes time, so until Jedidia has some more time to work on this mod again, your only other hope is somebody stepping forward to take over the maintenance (and no, I don't feel like doing that atm).
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Asesino

Post by Asesino »

Thank you very much for that informative response. I totally understand.

Thanks again!

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

Jay_H wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:30 pm From Vondur's current video series: https://youtu.be/cBywUal2koU?t=1497

There are some quest locations that simply can't be reached, except by teleportation. There's no port city where he's trying to go. Not sure if feature or bug?
Whoops, no, that's an oversight. There are several islands that don't have any ports in vanilla daggerfall, and I've tried my best to add additional ports for those, but it looks like I missed one. I'll address it, but it's potentially not the last one...
Perhaps, i am configuring something incorrectly?
Nope, I'm just severely lagging behind. Sorry 'bout that.
Can you make it so I can read a book from my inventory while travelling?
No idea... It would depend on whether the book UI blocks the game or not. Not something I'll be looking into any time soon, for sure, but I do like the idea.
I adore this mod! Thank you Jedidia
So thank you for this mod and your work on it, for it have increased my joy from playing a game I already love a ton.
Thanks guys! :)