Tedious Travel 0.4.2 (2019-10-16)

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
fubeca6

Re: Tedious Travel 0.1.2

Post by fubeca6 »

I registered for an account just so I could applaud this mod :D

I originally got into Daggerfall because of the enormous scope (over 63,000 miles) and immersive game play. The teleportation-like fast-travel system kind of ruined both of those for me though. The world doesn't feel that big when you can just teleport from point A to point B. The vanilla fast-travel system is better than most (it takes actual time, Inns cost money, etc) but it's not really enough to save the immersion., imo.

This mod fixes those issues for me. Traveling around using Tedious Travel lets you see just how large the world really is. It's been really fun so far getting into random encounters, discovering new dungeons, and passing by (and sometimes exploring) random towns and homesteads.

Good job, and thank you for the mod! Future feature request: allow the player to move their head while moving - that way they can survey the landscape. watch cities retreat into the distance, etc. without int interrupting travel.

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

Thanks for the flowers! We had about the same experience with Daggerfall, then. :D
Future feature request: allow the player to move their head while moving
I'm not sure this is possible. So far I'm still fighting to eliminate *undesired* camera movement. I thought I finally had something working that could stabilise the camera without taking player control away, but then I noticed that the camera kept slowly rotating around Z when travelling east or west... I have no idea what's going on, and linear algebra isn't exactly my strong suit.

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

Future feature request: allow the player to move their head while moving - that way they can survey the landscape
Just quickly coming back to this after finally having my kinks with camera rotation worked out.

I think it *would* be possible, but undesirable for two reasons.
The first is purely development centric. The way camera rotation and player movement interact in daggerfall unity makes it a very tricky proposition. Most probably not impossible, but I really don't feel motivated to pull my head through it.
The other reason, though, is the bloody horse. It's a bilboard splashed on the HUD. It will always be front and center of your view, and there isn't the slightest thing I can do about it.
So if you'd look back while on a horse, what you'll get isn't the impression of riding away from something, it would be the impression of riding away *backwards* from something. That seems like a rather silly result for the amount of work that would be involved...

jedidia

Re: Tedious Travel 0.2.0

Post by jedidia »

New version up.
Implements fast travel by ship between port towns and fixed the annoying camera and cursor issues.

Note that there will be some loading time when you load your first save. That's tedious travel exporting the data for port towns (because that info is so deeply hidden in the data files that loading it from there on runtime would be waaaaay to slow). Though I strongly suspect not all of them are port towns, but I'd need a map of navigable rivers of the game region to tell for sure. In any case, subsequent loads will be way faster.

Instructions on how to boat in are in the manual in the first post.

@Interkarma: The Unknown in DFLocation.Exterior.ExteriorData.PortTownAndUnknown? Might be region capitals. At lest all the region capitals are in there. Might just be because they all *are* port towns, though.

pango

Post by pango »

Hi jedidia,
The sail confirmation message box doesn't fit into the screen (looks like its text was meant to be wrapped on two lines, but it's not).
Other than that it works better than ever, I used it to go from Daggerfall to Shedungent with a stopover in Menevia, I feel that I have a better grasp of those regions now, better than I ever had using classic Daggerfall :)
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

pango wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:01 am I'm wondering if the "There are enemies nearby" message should be blocking (modal), much like when you're interrupted during resting, instead of scrolling text.
That way, if you were drinking tea while watching the landscape, this gives you the opportunity to grab your mouse and keyboard again ;)
Yes, more spilt tea here please ! :lol:
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

jedidia wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:42 pm New version up.
Implements fast travel by ship between port towns and fixed the annoying camera and cursor issues.

Note that there will be some loading time when you load your first save. That's tedious travel exporting the data for port towns (because that info is so deeply hidden in the data files that loading it from there on runtime would be waaaaay to slow). Though I strongly suspect not all of them are port towns, but I'd need a map of navigable rivers of the game region to tell for sure. In any case, subsequent loads will be way faster.

Instructions on how to boat in are in the manual in the first post.

@Interkarma: The Unknown in DFLocation.Exterior.ExteriorData.PortTownAndUnknown? Might be region capitals. At lest all the region capitals are in there. Might just be because they all *are* port towns, though.
Thank you !
I will check out the boat posthaste..
I love this mod man, you knocked it out of the ballpark with this thing.
This, Warm ashes, AND the persistent quests pack ?
It is complete insanity...
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

pango wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:01 am I'm wondering if the "There are enemies nearby" message should be blocking (modal), much like when you're interrupted during resting, instead of scrolling text.
That way, if you were drinking tea while watching the landscape, this gives you the opportunity to grab your mouse and keyboard again ;)
Yes, and it would match other message boxes in the game that way as well.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

Yes, more spilt tea here please !
This is actually part of the 0.2.0 update. Guess I should have mentioned that somewhere.

Now, for some reason I wasn't able to identify yet the background goes black when the message pops in, but that's a minor issue.
The sail confirmation message box doesn't fit into the screen
Yeah, I've put a line break in there but the print functionality of the message box doesn't really seem to parse those (rather unsurprisingly). I'll have to figure out how to get the thing to render on two lines...

Prester Lewin

Post by Prester Lewin »

Great mod!

Just an idea... Could this mod add a survival element based on weather conditions you encounter? For example, if it's snowing, you lose stamina more quickly and maybe eventually health, too? That would make it more necessary to stop at taverns along the way or even wear appropriate clothing (e.g. cloak). It could be a mod configuration option. I am asking just as a player, with no idea of how much work it would be.

I support the idea of having an option to use classic DF fast travel, for when I don't have the real world time to TT. I would also like to have a 3x travel speed, as 5x for shortish journeys is too big a step up for me. Would that be feasible, please?