Tedious Travel 0.4.2 (2019-10-16)

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
pango

Re: Tedious Travel 0.1.2

Post by pango »

Hi jedidia,
It would be great if for each travel one had the choice between Fast and Tedious travel; Not only because one may not wish to experience all travels the tedious way, but also because in some cases it's currently not an option, like if you have to cross a large body of water (I learned the hard way, but in retrospect it's logical, that if you lose all stamina while crossing water, you'll just drown)...
Right now the only choice when it happens is to reload the game and temporarily disable the mod (unless I missed something).
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

It would be great if for each travel one had the choice between Fast and Tedious travel
Hmmm... not impossible, but interface-wise a bit messy. I'll see if I can integrate it somehow. The problemis that it'll mean another prompt every time you open the map. Probably best to make the option to use classic fast travel optional in the mod configuration, so people not intending to use it don't get bothered by the additional prompt. Oh dear, so many options!
like if you have to cross a large body of water
I'll see about shipping support once I see that the basics are running smoothly. Though you'll still have to own a boat, I guess. But interrupting travel when you enter water should be fairly trivial, I hope, so that should at least take care of the "accidentally drowning" thing.
unless I missed something
Well, you can always plot your route around it, of course... :lol:

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Maybe you should try extending the default travel map instead of having a whole load of duplicate code? (note I did not look to see how much code you changed) It may require some hooks and tweaks to the class because it's not intended for extension, but that should make it much easier to provide a choice of instant travel and tedious. I'm happy to help when i can from a core DFU code standpoint, I've had to solve many of these kind of issues creating the Archaeologists mod.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

pango

Post by pango »

jedidia wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:16 pm Hmmm... not impossible, but interface-wise a bit messy. I'll see if I can integrate it somehow. The problemis that it'll mean another prompt every time you open the map.
What about
Estimated travel time X days, begin journey?
[Fast] [Tedious] [Cancel]
-- Charles Goodhart

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

Estimated travel time X days, begin journey?
[Fast] [Tedious] [Cancel]
I had that thought, but I could be lazy and put the prompt in when calling the travel map in the first place. Because that way I could just let the original map load instead of injecting my own and wouldn't have any hassle. The downside would be a prompt each time you open the map...
Maybe you should try extending the default travel map instead of having a whole load of duplicate code?
That's what I wanted to do first, but all the important stuff in that class is private, not protected, and it contains a whole lot of logic rather than keeping the logic separate from the interface. And I'd rather have duplicated code than basically a reflection-based extension that can get rather maintenance intensive.
In any case, since it's a mod the code duplication isn't really a structural problem. I'd just have to put some stuff back in that I took out.
I'm happy to help when i can from a core DFU code standpoint
I appreciate the offer, but it's mostly a structural "problem", really. In general, an MVC-ish approach to the UI would have been better. Right now all the data and logic are essentially bunched in with the definition of the user interface, and that extends over the whole UI. I really think you should get this baby to Beta before starting to refactor it.
Also, problem is in quotes above because while this is generally bad practice, it's also a perfectly pragmatic practice if your specs are well known. And your specs are perfectly well known (replicate the daggerfall UI, period), so this was the most time-efficient route to take.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

jedidia wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:21 pm Also, problem is in quotes above because while this is generally bad practice, it's also a perfectly pragmatic practice if your specs are well known. And your specs are perfectly well known (replicate the daggerfall UI, period), so this was the most time-efficient route to take.
You've understood my thinking perfectly here. My main goal has always been to reproduce classic first and foremost. The old UIs are very difficult to extend in any case, as they're rife with monolithic images, hard-coded resolution, buttons and text - nothing is sliced up nicely for scaling or reuse. And any significant design changes to improve all that would only break the classic look and feel, something I wanted to maintain in base game at all costs. I've only diverged substantially with save/load UI so the game could have more than 6 slots.

The way I see classic UI is single-purpose and self-contained, and matching DOS version almost precisely. I generally don't want anyone modding the classic UI beyond simple image replacement. What I want instead is a drop-in UI replacement system used in place of the classic UI altogether. The new UI can use modern practices and be as extensible as required while the classic UI remains for base game and as a static point of reference. Modders are then free to design and remix the modern UI replacement however they want.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

I've tried this and, while I think I would like it for short journeys, I found it a little too tedious for long journeys. ;)
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

Ok, since there seem to be no further bugs at the moment, I'll move to implementing the option to fall back on classic fast travel, and boats. Might take another while.

Lorex

Post by Lorex »

I tried this mod yesterday and I must say it's wonderful! And no major bugs to be reported.

Only a small thing, during travel there are slow downs and the cursor always reset position in the middle of the screen, a bit annoying but bearable if nothing can be done about it.

The "tedius" factor is mainly dependant on PC specs, with my poor toaster I can go up to 30/35X max before suffering retching for the stuttering, and only 15X during snowing. I could make it from Privateer's Hold to Daggerfall in 40 minutes. A bit too much maybe but planning to stop at inns and risking to be killed was a fantastic experience. Very good work!

pango

Post by pango »

On my box it stutters at 10x already, but I attribute that to Mono garbage collection. I lowered terrain distance to 3 but it didn't change much. I'm not complaining though, I'm ok with 5x, and performance may improve later (object pooling?).

I curious to see what can be done with boats idea. But you made a mod for patient people ;)
Keep up the good work!
Last edited by pango on Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
-- Charles Goodhart