Enhanced Sky

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
ifkopifko

Re: Enhanced Sky

Post by ifkopifko »

Hi there guys, long time no see/read.

While trying out the first Beta release (release 0.11.0; Win64 build), I have noticed the Enhanced Sky mod gets broken when following conditions are met:
1. Retro mode rendering is turned on (doesn't matter whether with or without the additional retro features like palletisation etc.
2. The Large HUD is set to docked mode (LargeHUDDocked = True)

and

3. When you switch Fullscreen in-game, the Sky gets broken. It gets fixed after you restart DFU, but breaks again if you switch Full-screen again. So if you started the game with fullscreen turned on, it breaks when you turn it off, and vice versa. It's not a big problem, you simply should not touch the fullscreen option during a play session... just set your preference and leave it be. :D

On a side note to this wonderful mod, now that I played DFU after a looooong pause, it strikes me that the colour of the sky does not correlate with the overall scene lighting. Especially during summer (green grass everywhere) at midday (full sunlight). The scene is brightly lit with sunshine, but the sky is quite dark with some clouds... the sky is a lot darker then the world, and it looks out of place. Not sure whether there was any change in lighting in DFU recently (hah, with "recently" I mean something like a year or so... :D ), or maybe it's just my eyes...

emmathepony

Post by emmathepony »

I've noticed it being broke after I go to the controls screen and then return to gameplay. The sky does that vanilla "warping" effect but keeps the enhanced sky textures.

pango

Post by pango »

ifkopifko wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:12 pm 1. Retro mode rendering is turned on (doesn't matter whether with or without the additional retro features like palletisation etc.
Do you also have Distant Terrain installed?
viewtopic.php?p=48192#p48192
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

ifkopifko

Post by ifkopifko »

No, I have tried it with only the enhanced sky mod installed to make sure it is not some interaction.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I agree that during the day the terrain is lit too much. Thats is smthng I report for years.

pango

Post by pango »

As reported on Subreddit there's an issue with this mod when the large HUD is visible.

In normal rendering mode (not retro rendering), it doesn't adjust to viewport size change:
2021_05_01_02_48_11.jpg
2021_05_01_02_48_11.jpg (105.3 KiB) Viewed 3326 times
2021_05_01_02_48_16.jpg
2021_05_01_02_48_16.jpg (163.17 KiB) Viewed 3326 times
It gets worse in retro rendering mode, sky gets black with landscape trails:
2021_05_01_02_53_48.jpg
2021_05_01_02_53_48.jpg (143.21 KiB) Viewed 3326 times
I guess that changing viewport will be an issue for any mod that uses its own cameras (Distant Terrain and Telescope mods are probably also affected). The recently added (in dev, for now) large HUD toggle event could be useful to adjust parameters.

For the latter case, my guess is that DFU now changes of rendering texture later than it used to.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

Is this mod still supported by DFU 0.11.3?
In Julianos we Trust.

DieHard

Post by DieHard »

The sky is pink as if it is missing a texture. Does this mod need certain settings on/off or need other mods?

DieHard

Post by DieHard »

Never mind I fixed it.

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

I use this mod for a long time and do not see obvious problems even in 0.12.x but I wonder if it will receive an update again?

Also, on a slightly related note: Is there a possibility to replace DF's default sky pixel bitmaps by different ones? Sometimes I want a true retro experience, but the trees on the sky bitmaps are very distracting (esp. in deserts) and I would like to try to replace replace with something more neutral.

Edit: a, never mind, just found this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=2237