HD first person weapon textures

A curated forum for approved mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
King of Worms

Re: HD first person weapon textures

Post by King of Worms » Thu May 23, 2019 10:41 am

Hi Megaten, nice progress!

I opened the files in Photoshop, and converted it from 16 to 8bit per channel, this changes absolutely nothing in the visuals. And it reduces the size to 1/3.

From my previous talks with Interkarma, this format is more suitable for Unity/DFU anyway.

The images have 4 channels, RedGreenBlue plus Alpha. So 8bit per channel is what is usually known as 32bit (4 x 8bits). And you are using 64bit now (4x16)

So there is a room for this optimalization, which will reduce the size to 1/3 without changing anything in the visuals and also making the format more suitable for DFU.

01.jpg
01.jpg (167.46 KiB) Viewed 274 times
Than I would personally opt for a 50% reduction of resolution and we are at the 20% of the current size.
Just a option to consider...

Question: how hard would it be for you to re-render the images with SSAO or some simmilar effect? Heres a comparison, to show what Im talking about. Some weapons would benefit from the added depth IMO
https://media.giphy.com/media/geF89jVd7 ... /giphy.gif

megaten

Post by megaten » Thu May 23, 2019 4:46 pm

King of Worms

Thanks for the advice on using 32bit, will do that way in the future.
About re-rendering with SSAO. It's possible. The result would be something like this.
Spoiler!
Rendering time increases 8-10 times (from 15-20 seconds per frame, to 2-3 minutes) though.
It's just the original idea was to emulate Daggerfalls 90s junky vanilla CG look and produce some results in little time.
I do agree renders with global illumination look way better and simple looking hammers/maces/flails/axes will benefit from it. So the answer is - rerendering is not a problem, might do it actually.

Nystul

Magic weapons are comming. Only staffs/magic hands/werewolf hands left before I start on them.

Also, has anyone managed to swap first person horse textures? In modding tutorial it says the name is MRED00I0.CFA_0-0.png and needs to be put into CifRci as well. I found texture resolution here - viewtopic.php?t=382&start=40 and tried to make a test swap but it won't work. Any ideas?

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms » Thu May 23, 2019 8:25 pm

Hmm the ssao does not look good in this case, original on the left is better. Its strange the new version is so much brighter. Anyway... this is minor. Dont let me distract you :)

Adrinus

Post by Adrinus » Sat May 25, 2019 3:37 pm

I've updated the 25% resolution pack to contain the new axes and daggers:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/1e6tfnjj ... 19.7z/file