[MOD] Trees Of Daggerfall

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
RealDave

Re: [MOD] Trees Of Daggerfall

Post by RealDave »

Don't think the reflections are interacting with the trees, just both resource intensive mods. If I turn off both the frame rate goes up further still.

Allerka

Post by Allerka »

Bender wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:28 am The effect on the game is amazing. The trees truly look incredible. As others have stated though the performance hit is lofty. It's the one mod I really want on but have to leave off due to lag. I have my fingers crossed that optimizations can be made. Thank you for what you have created so far. Peformance or not it looks great.
Same, sadly. I'm running a Ryzen 5 3600 with 32 GB of DDR-3200 RAM and a GTX 2080, and this thing CRUSHES my framerate, even when I'm not fast traveling. I tested a bunch of settings, eventually even turning everything but this thing off and setting view distance to 1, and my framerate goes from 100-115 average at 2560 x 1440 to 30-40. I can run every other graphical mod (DREAM, Hand Painted Models, Real Grass, Vibrant Wind, Enhanced Skies, Post Processing, Real Time Reflections, High Resolution Terrain Textures, ReShade, etc.) at max settings and still get 100+ FPS easily, but this one, even by itself, makes the game borderline unplayable.

Which is a dang shame, because it's absolutely gorgeous, especially watching the trees whip around during a storm. I have no idea why it would bog down even a GTX 2080 that can handle the likes of Doom Eternal flawlessly. I did do some benchmarking, walking around Daggerfall city during a rainstorm. With everything else on I was seeing around 50-60% GPU utilization, 40-50% CPU utilization, and 7 GB of VRAM usage with 90-100 FPS. With the trees added, oddly enough the GPU went down to around 40-50%, VRAM was capped out at ~7.8 GB, and 40-50% CPU, but the framerate was down to 30-40. With nothing but Trees turned on, GPU usage was around 30-40%, VRAM usage was down to ~3.5 GB (no surprise there), and CPU usage stayed steady at 40-50%, with 50-60 FPS.

lxgm

Post by lxgm »

renders with 20fps on my q9400@3.2 and it does not bring any worthy improvement.

Allerka

Post by Allerka »

A Core 2 Duo CPU? I'm frankly shocked the game runs at all. :P

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

Im pretty sad that you all guys have that bad performance. Ive said many times, Ive optimized to the max from my end (3D models and LODs).

But Im really confused a bit. I dont have that good machine (Ryzen 5 1600, 16GbRAM, 1050TI GTX) and I have about 60fps on the 1920x1080, but on the distance level 3. Maybe thats the difference. I dont have distance terrain turned on, shadows are not maxed (maybe mid level), as well reflections not turned on.

Allerka

Post by Allerka »

Yeah, I'm sad too. And more than a bit perplexed that even I get these kinds of performance drops. I checked again, without Trees active (but all other graphical mods on), I'm getting 90-100 FPS at 2560 x 1440. As soon as I turn Trees on, my FPS drops 40-50%, even if I turn literally everything else off. Dropping the terrain distance to just 1 and reducing other graphical settings didn't seem to make any difference.

I will say though, watching my hardware monitors while I test the game with these different settings, and noticing the huge performance hit mods like this and Realtime Reflections have, even though GPU/CPU utilization and VRAM usage generally remains low, and especially when those hits happen even if no other mods are loaded, I can't help but wonder if we're running into limitations of the Unity engine itself. Which, given how old of a version of Unity is getting used, wouldn't surprise me too much.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Allerka wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:32 pm Yeah, I'm sad too. And more than a bit perplexed that even I get these kinds of performance drops. I checked again, without Trees active (but all other graphical mods on), I'm getting 90-100 FPS at 2560 x 1440. As soon as I turn Trees on, my FPS drops 40-50%, even if I turn literally everything else off. Dropping the terrain distance to just 1 and reducing other graphical settings didn't seem to make any difference.

I will say though, watching my hardware monitors while I test the game with these different settings, and noticing the huge performance hit mods like this and Realtime Reflections have, even though GPU/CPU utilization and VRAM usage generally remains low, and especially when those hits happen even if no other mods are loaded, I can't help but wonder if we're running into limitations of the Unity engine itself. Which, given how old of a version of Unity is getting used, wouldn't surprise me too much.
Do you use the distant terrain mod? Disable it, set distance to 3 and see if it helps and let us know .) This mod is beta anyway..
And the reason why it runs quite poorly is most likely the way the 1000s of 2d trees were implemented, which itself is a big achievement.

Allerka

Post by Allerka »

King of Worms wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:52 am Do you use the distant terrain mod? Disable it, set distance to 3 and see if it helps and let us know .) This mod is beta anyway..
And the reason why it runs quite poorly is most likely the way the 1000s of 2d trees were implemented, which itself is a big achievement.
Other mods doesn't matter. With or without any other mods, and even with terrain distance reduced to one and all other mods disabled, my FPS drops 40-50%.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I hope one day this issue will be solved. Or we need to wait few more generations of cpus and gpus to use it 😂

Allerka

Post by Allerka »

I mean, if VMBlast has optimized it as much as possible, then I suspect it's more due to limitations with Unity. Like I said above, even with all the mods enabled, DFU isn't fully utilizing my GPU and CPU, but the framerate sucks anyway when I'm using Trees of Daggerfall or Realtime Reflections, even with nothing else on, and no amount of option-tweaking helps. Meanwhile I can run a game like Doom Eternal, which I'm fairly certain is far more graphically intensive than DFU :lol:, at max settings, where it's using 100% of my GPU the whole time and still giving me 80-100 FPS. Simply put, I seriously doubt the problem is hardware-related (at least in my case, anyway).