[MOD] Trees Of Daggerfall

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
VMblast

Re: Trees Of Daggerfall

Post by VMblast »

Ok Im releasing this test alpha MOD for testing purposes only. Ive included five trees in this pack. Currently at my machine it runs about 6fps...so its pretty bad. If anyone can find what is the problem, please let me know.

TREES OF DAGGERFALL 0.01a aplha testing:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ua9Yb ... vSIlN36MkS

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I think the performance questions should be directed to

The Lacus - he is the head of modding and asset injection
Hazelnut - who made some big optimalizations to the terrain render lately
Lypyl - who updated the ModBuilder recenty
Interkarma - because he is the boss

Im sure these guys will make this thing fly 60fps in no time basically

Maybe try sending them a batch PM VMBlast... it would be the best option IMO. Direct them here and things will get moving ;)
If I forgot anyone, Im sorry!

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

From a quick test it looks like terrain distance (main menu->advanced->video) has a big effect: I go from 50+ fps with distance 2 to 5-10 fps with distance 4. I guess this is to be expected but there is probably room for improvements. I'll see if i can make some tweaks for tree models import, but this would probably help loading times more that performance.

Anyway, this mod looks really great :)

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

VMblast wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:37 pm Ok Im releasing this test alpha MOD for testing purposes only. Ive included five trees in this pack. Currently at my machine it runs about 6fps...so its pretty bad. If anyone can find what is the problem, please let me know.

If you love something let it go. If it comes back covered in bugs, give it a bath.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

TheLacus wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:49 pm From a quick test it looks like terrain distance (main menu->advanced->video) has a big effect: I go from 50+ fps with distance 2 to 5-10 fps with distance 4.
Hey man, thanks for jumping in on this problem. :)

Yeah, Ive thought that as well (that is terrain patches problem), however what was puzzling for me is that all that terrain patches work great with the DFU billboards. Remember, Ive setup the LODs so that billboards start from really close to the player. What that means, is that these SPTrees billboards should work as well as the DFU ones....but they dont for some reason. I tryed to change SPTree billboard mat with DFU one, but the billboard at that LOD distance, just disappears ingame....so...blah lol :P

PS - OH MAN, yeah! Lowering terrain distance immidiately inreased fps back to 70fps! :D
Last edited by VMblast on Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

jayhova wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:03 pm
VMblast wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:37 pm Ok Im releasing this test alpha MOD for testing purposes only. Ive included five trees in this pack. Currently at my machine it runs about 6fps...so its pretty bad. If anyone can find what is the problem, please let me know.

If you love something let it go. If it comes back covered in bugs, give it a bath.
Loool....whaaa??? :lol:
Poetic :P

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Quick test with terrain distance to 1:
- looks awesome and runs well

Very good for such a early stage!
LODs are very conservative indeed, but I see this being fantastic mod in a near future
There are some things Id change in terms of saturation and brightness of some textures, but its just too early to even bother with this.

I think the main focus should be on a big trees. The smaller things look actually quite ok while being just billboards, I like the mix of 3d and 2d in this case...

Also, the new real grass is very nice Lacus!

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

No problems here, bud.
VMblastTreesPerformance2.jpg
VMblastTreesPerformance2.jpg (672.41 KiB) Viewed 3303 times
Lookin' daaaaamn nice, too btw.

P.S. Try disabling "Dynamic Occluded" setting on all the prefabs and their LODs in the Mesh Renderer component. Maybe the CPU is struggling to calculate the occlusion culling?

Edit: Forgot to mention that I have Terrain Distance set to 4.

Also, where are your screenshots taken from? I'd like to try to see if I get the same problem in the same area.

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

MasonFace wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:06 pm No problems here, bud.

VMblastTreesPerformance2.jpg

Lookin' daaaaamn nice, too btw.

P.S. Try disabling "Dynamic Occluded" setting on all the prefabs and their LODs in the Mesh Renderer component. Maybe the CPU is struggling to calculate the occlusion culling?

Edit: Forgot to mention that I have Terrain Distance set to 4.

Also, where are your screenshots taken from? I'd like to try to see if I get the same problem in the same area.
-Wow, distance 4 with that performance??!!! Maybe its something about AMD/INTEL CPU? I have Ryzen 5 6Core.
-Screenshots are taken at The Laughing Guard Inn - Daggerfall
-There are no option for -Dynamic Oculuded- at sptree (which Im using directly for the mod) files. Also there are no such option on the trees prefabs ether nor LOD materials... :P

//----------
Well, with distance set to 1 its looking awesome and performance is buttery smooth. Distant Terrain mod works but the performance is lowered, maybe by half (its still playable I think).

-Screen taken at the Privateers Hold. Looking awesome with all major trees imported. :)

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

Very nice
Spoiler!
DF test7.png
DF test7.png (1.5 MiB) Viewed 3272 times
DF test4.png
DF test4.png (1.38 MiB) Viewed 3272 times
DF test2.png
DF test2.png (1.28 MiB) Viewed 3272 times