[MOD] Trees Of Daggerfall

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
King of Worms

Re: TREES OF DAGGERFALL

Post by King of Worms »

I know this will be something great, like always when VMblast gets at it :geek: :ugeek:

VMblast

Re: Trees Of Daggerfall

Post by VMblast »

Yeah it is looking good for now. Im trying to get it as closest possible to the look of the original DF trees. However my grates concern, as everybody rightfully complained about, is performance. It is really tricky to optimize SPT trees but to retain that lush look of the canopy for example.

Other thing is that I have no way to test it yet other than im my own unity test scene. Since Im focused on making these models, I dont have time to learn how to make MODs for DFU. That step will have to wait until I finish this pack, or at least majority of trees.

AlexanderSig

Post by AlexanderSig »

Looks amazing :)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Im not sure about the mod, as Ive never worked with 3d models injection. If it works something like textures, I might be able to do that.
Also I GUESS it can be imported as a loose files, meaning, not packed into the DFMOD... just for a quick testing purposes
My eyes still fucked so Im not gonna promise anything

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

Ill take a look DFU model MODing later in the development. Hopefully it will not be that much of a hustle.

Linden:

PS -also Im having issues with the scale. The original ingame billboards are so random. There isnt much I can compare it with, except maybe people-sprites...and thats not much of anything. No real metric measurements I can lock on lol :lol:

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

With size go by your artistic feeling more than anything. Size of sprites doesnt make much sense when u dive into it like I did. I was planning to change the sizes with xml files but (thanksfuly) it did not work and I abandoned the idea.

That tree looks really nice!

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

Next model finished: Daggerfall Platanus tree (aka sycamore). For this one Ive went with platanus tree rather than elm, I think this fits better the color tone of the original.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hi. the model is awesome, would it be possible to add that orange/brownish tint to the leaves/bark? It would make it closer to the original. But, maybe its better this new way... also, its a detail. I think its better to go thru with more trees and than maybe fine tuning these things laters :)

I think it will look majestic ingame eitherway :geek:

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

@King of Worms
Hopefully. At the end there is that thing about performance, which Im really wary about. But Im doing optimizations as I making them, so hopefully it would be enough for starters. Im keeping trees around 12.000 triangles, which is on the edge of being too much for the video game (I think tho, Im not too sure about it).

But second part of the optimization is in the Unity itself, balancing with LODs and texture sizes.... We'll see. :D

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Wouldn't it be nice if foliage and coloration altered with the seasons? This sounds Like a mod waiting to happen.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.