[MOD] Trees Of Daggerfall

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Midknightprince

Re: Trees Of Daggerfall

Post by Midknightprince »

VMblast wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:56 pm
King of Worms wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:28 pm It looks great mate... just needed to add a lot of brightness in photoshop to actually see it on my dark monitor :)
But yea, its just awesome!!
Lol, yeah it was late afternoon ingame I think (around 18h), it was pretty dark. :P

Anw, here's question for you guys. It was only ten plants left: Little tree on the rock, mushroom and rest was those small plants and flowers. Do you want me to release MOD as it is now (beta 1)?
YES ! (very calmly)
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Midknightprince

Re: Trees Of Daggerfall

VMblast wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:33 pm Beta released. Download on the first page.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1826&p=21285#p21285
Oops... :D

Midknightprince

Re: [MOD] Trees Of Daggerfall

Don't stop man, I think everybody wants to see this in their game, straight up...

Midknightprince

So it looks like with the trees, maybe if you go half 3D trees and half Sprites ?

It's pretty laggy with.08.

I5 2300, 1050ti OC 4GIG, 24 GIGS @ 1333 RAM, on WIN10 X64..

It seems like the first version of trees of Daggerfall runs way better but it's probably because .08 has more stuff..
I don't think I'm even getting 30 frames, and terrain distance to set to 1..
They sure look pretty though...

Midknightprince

Can you make a version of .08 with the trees not animated ?

I'd like to try it if I could, maybe it's the trees blowing in the wind, but it should at least cut back on performance hopefully..

Anyways, I'm eager to help in that way if I could..
The trees in .08 look really good.

*EDIT* it seems like with .08, there are invisible trees that are actually counted as 3D objects, because I'm getting stuck on stuff and it's invisible.

The trees are still there, and I can go through them, but I'm bumping into invisible things and it's stopping me..
Maybe something's getting offset from the Sprites, maybe there's actually more trees than what you can see ( which would reduce performance if that's what's happening)??

And this is with tedious travel on and off...

Otherwise it seems to work fine, a bit laggy (maybe 30 fps), but it works..

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I think only the big trees should be 3d. And keep the small clutter 2d. It looks nice! And its a reminder from where dfu came from. So why force everything 3d... that would be much less objects to draw.

But ultimatelly, there should be some perf optimalization , I guess in the engine

Midknightprince

It's using my processor maybe 60 or 70%, 3D card is like 15%.

Maybe turn off the animations, and see what happens ?
If you want to do just the big trees like KOW said "lets try it", I think you should leave those piles of the thick branches though, they look really sweet...

I like it but it's not even really using my 3D card apparently, it's just processor....

Soft and wet

Post by Soft and wet »

I think if we can figure out hardware utilization issues we can fix the lag, with a 2080 super and a 5ghz i7-8700k that should be childs play to run but im using less than 40% of my hardware, we just need to find a way to increase the usage.
"Softo Ando Weto"Image

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

TheLacus has probably already investigated this, but It looks like there may a special way to instantiate the SpeedTree prefabs that makes use of its cell-based structure. Reference
Keep App Data SDK-Friendly: The entire streaming and culling system is based on organizing trees into evenly-spaced cells. It is important for performance reasons that the application can quickly populate the cells provided by the SDK. This mostly means not wasting cycles during a render loop determining which instances go into which cells. We provide the example class CMyInstancesContainer, defined in the reference application in MyPopulate.h/cpp. It shows how to quickly and easily organize an existing population of base trees and instances into cells so that they can be quickly passed into the SDK. Even without an example, it's not difficult to organize instances into evenly-spaced cells.
This ties into my theory that the performance issue is centered around culling calculations, just not in the way I thought. I'm thinking that DFU's asset injection system doesn't instantiate the SpeedTree prefabs the way the SpeedTree SDK considers to be ideal, which breaks its fast cell-based culling method.

Of course as per usual, the disclaimer still holds: I could be completely wrong! :lol:

GreatSphynx

Post by GreatSphynx »

Just wanted to chime in with my experience and system.
i7 8700k, GTX 980ti, 32gb ram, win10 64

With terrain distance set to 1, outdoor shadows off I get about 10-15 fps in towns in Wayrest.
I have post processing on as well as distant terrain and grass.

My CPU is sitting at about 18-20% usage and my gpu is at 5-8%

Models look great though, I hope the performance and gpu utilization can get sorted out!