[MOD] Pure Vanilla Extract

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
MasonFace

Re: [MOD] Pure Vanilla Extract

Post by MasonFace »

I've got a quick question for anyone who can answer:

Some sprites seem to have very odd dimensions. I'm looking at 200_20-0 at the moment and it is 36x54 pixels. The upscaled version comes out to 288x432.

The way I see it, I have three options:
  • Keep these non-power-of-two dimensions and maintain it's proportions.
  • Rescale the sprite to something like 256x512 and throw off the proportions a little, but get power-of-two dimensions.
  • Pad the canvas size with more transparent pixels so that the dimensions are 512x512 and it maintains its dimensions proportions, but increases texture size and overdraw.
Which of these options is the best?

From what I remember, we didn't change any of the MOBs frames dimensions to be power-of-two and I don't think we saw any issues from it.
200_20-0_Upscaled.png
200_20-0_Upscaled.png (132.48 KiB) Viewed 2447 times
Last edited by MasonFace on Sat May 23, 2020 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

MasonFace wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 2:27 am I've got a quick question for anyone who can answer:

Some sprites seem to have very odd dimensions. I'm looking at 200_20-0 at the moment and it is 36x54 pixels. The upscaled version comes out to 288x432.

The way I see it, I have three options:
  • Keep these non-power-of-two dimensions and maintain it's proportions.
  • Rescale the sprite to something like 256x512 and throw off the proportions a little, but get power-of-two dimensions.
  • Pad the canvas size with more transparent pixels so that the dimensions are 512x512 and it maintains its dimensions, but increases texture size and overdraw.
Which of these options is the best?

From what I remember, we didn't change any of the MOBs frames dimensions to be power-of-two and I don't think we saw any issues from it.

200_20-0_Upscaled.png
Theres nothing wrong with 288x432
As long as both dimensions can be divided by 4 without the result having decimal numbers

Disable mip mapping in inspector

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

That's what I was figuring was the case. Thanks for confirming!

Levethian

Post by Levethian »

Suspect this has been done already somewhere, but a quick search didn't reveal anything. Somewhat moot given Rhymer's great work, but I'm a stickler for the original where all my nostalgia-cells are tied up, so had a go upscaling & increasing frame-rate of the title-sequence:
Vid shows original, followed by my attempt at an upscale.

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

No, I don't think I've seen this video upscaled before. Great job! Looks awesome with the higher framerate! :D

What tools did you use, if you don't mind me asking?

Levethian

Post by Levethian »

Thank you!
Not at all - Photoshop CS4.
Last edited by Levethian on Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

Thanks! I'll download it when I get home from work. It is definitely more true to the vanilla Daggerfall than Rhymer's remake, which is exactly what this mod is about. However, I haven't quite solidified the scope of this mod, so I don't know if videos will be part of it or not.

Levethian

Post by Levethian »

For sure - makes sense :D

brofin

Post by brofin »

Is this compatible with DREAM? Or does one make the other redundant?

enderandrew

Post by enderandrew »

brofin wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:28 pm Is this compatible with DREAM? Or does one make the other redundant?
DREAM covers more items including sound and music, and a lot more sprites and textures.

If you preferred this over DREAM, you could run them in parallel with this at a higher priority (lower on your load list) to have this overwrite the textures where there is overlap.