[MOD] Pure Vanilla Extract

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
King of Worms

Re: Pure Vanilla Extract

Post by King of Worms »

Fair point, thanks for info. We must test it than - before any decissions are made. Damn.. 😂

Edit: just a note.. the ghosts. They dont work good in PVE. Its because they are color coded for a transparency. When u upscale em, color coding stops working. My results were yellow ghosts, your result is flat grey ghosts/wraiths and it looks bad. Charcoal ghosts mod by Pango solved this nicely so far. There are some plans to change the transparency 4 ghosts in future I guess...

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

just a note.. the ghosts. They dont work good in PVE. Its because they are color coded for a transparency. When u upscale em, color coding stops working. My results were yellow ghosts, your result is flat grey ghosts/wraiths and it looks bad. Charcoal ghosts mod by Pango solved this nicely so far. There are some plans to change the transparency 4 ghosts in future I guess...
I forgot to mention that I didn't upscale the ghosts. Why they came out like that, I don't know. I think Pango's charcoal ghosts are the best by far. I had asked TheLacus if there was any way to change the shader of a MOB and the unfortunate answer is that there isn't a way to do that yet, so charcoal ghosts will keep the crown for the foreseeable future. :)
I think default is LZ4 and you need to change for LZMA or Uncompressed.
Its here:
Just pulled the latest version of DFTU from the repository and I see this option now. I'll give it a try.

pango

Post by pango »

MasonFace wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:26 am I forgot to mention that I didn't upscale the ghosts. Why they came out like that, I don't know. I think Pango's charcoal ghosts are the best by far. I had asked TheLacus if there was any way to change the shader of a MOB and the unfortunate answer is that there isn't a way to do that yet, so charcoal ghosts will keep the crown for the foreseeable future. :)
I started from Remaster 3.0 ghost and wraith textures, and the creation of charcoal ghosts required little handwork, just removing the extra pixels left around by Bethesda animation package before starting, and creating the red eyes layers with The Gimp.

Then after many tries I came up with the transformation already posted in those forums:

Code: Select all

for i in *.png; do
    convert "$i" \
            -background black -alpha background \
            -grayscale Rec601Luma \
            '(' +clone -gamma 0.4 -equalize -brightness-contrast -10x-10 -remap ../util/bw.png -alpha copy ')' \
            '(' -compose copy_opacity -composite ')' \
            -fill black -colorize 100,100,100 \
            ../knitted/"$i"
done
(bw.png is a 2 pixels image with a black and a white one. I could probably have used "convert -size 1x2 gradient: bw.png" instead of Gimp to create it).

The only thing left is to compose the rounded red eyes on top (much less to see here):

for i in *.png; do
    if [ -f ../eyes-rounded/"$i" ]; then
        mv ../knitted/"$i" ../knitted/"temp.$i"
        convert ../knitted/"temp.$i" ../eyes-rounded/$i -compose src-over -composite ../knitted/"$i" && rm ../knitted/"temp.$i"
    fi
done
Long story short, I could reapply the same transformation to better upscaled images, if they have the same color palette (or at least the same intensities?) as Remaster 3.0 ones had; Or you could do it yourself using above code.
And maybe tweak the transformation to amplify less their internal details and get something closer to classic look...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

pango

Post by pango »

Say, to get a look closer to classic, with more subtle internals:

for i in *.png; do
    convert "$i" \
            -background black -alpha background \
            -grayscale Rec601Luma \
            '(' +clone -equalize -negate -brightness-contrast -10x-80 -remap ../util/bw.png -alpha copy ')' \
            '(' -clone 0 -compose copy_opacity ')' -composite \
            -fill black -colorize 100,100,100 \
            ../pve/"$i"
done
Attachments
pvecg_278_1-0.png
pvecg_278_1-0.png (34.35 KiB) Viewed 3309 times
-- Charles Goodhart

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

Thank you for the insight, Pango! Quick question, does Point filtering have to be enabled for the sprite to look correct in game?

I may be able to override the filter settings for some MOBs based on the following:

From TheLacus:
Assets are cached the first time they're loaded from the assetbundle. You can subscribe to ModManager.OnLoadAssetEvent(string ModTitle, string AssetName, Type assetType) to invoke a delegate when this happens and Mod.GetAsset() without the clone flag to retrieve a reference.
From InterKarma:
The filter setting binding is based on FilterMode in Unity API, which has members Point, Bilinear, Trilinear.
At runtime, I hope to be able to grab references to the custom MOB frames (or hopefully just a reference to the generated atlas) and force its texture.filtermode = FilterMode.Point.

Edit: Apparently sprite atlases aren't used for MOBs.
Last edited by MasonFace on Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

My understanding is, that is doesnt matter what settings of a filtering you select in a Inspector in unity, because it gets overwritten by the settings in a game. Thats what Lacus told me some months ago, but its possible I understood it completely wrong.

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

King of Worms wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:59 pm My understanding is, that is doesnt matter what settings of a filtering you select in a Inspector in unity, because it gets overwritten by the settings in a game. Thats what Lacus told me some months ago, but its possible I understood it completely wrong.
That's my understanding also. What I'm looking to do is assign a script that overrides the filtering setting that's selected in the menu for only certain textures, in this case, certain MOBs. For instance, the ghost frame textures will be forced after initialization to use point filtering so it doesn't blur the dithering into blobs. If we decide that other sprites look better using point filtering, then we could extend it to force point filtering on those too. Like I said earlier, it would be ideal (actually probably necessary) to target the generated atlas texture instead of the individual frames that its built from. I will likely need some guidance to do this, but I'm not really to that point just yet.

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

Ohh snap !
What exactly is done in this pack just the NPC's or what ?
Should we just turn off the king of worms thing and turn this one on?

Yeah I don't know if I said how cool Pangos gosts are but Pango your ghosts are cool !
Check out my YouTube Channel!

pango

Post by pango »

MasonFace wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:05 pm Thank you for the insight, Pango! Quick question, does Point filtering have to be enabled for the sprite to look correct in game?
Since they're made of disjoint black pixels, I assume filtering can't do anything. Postprocessing mod antialiasing does though.
Also, they currently have shadows, so depending on light condition and shadow quality settings, you can get unexpected patterns. Maybe ghosts and wraiths should not have shadows (along with vampires? :D )
Midknightprince wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:07 pm Yeah I don't know if I said how cool Pangos gosts are but Pango your ghosts are cool !
-- Charles Goodhart

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

What exactly is done in this pack just the NPC's or what ?
Just MOBs (enemies).
Should we just turn off the king of worms thing and turn this one on?
I've just released an even higher resolution set for KoW that he may include in the next release of DREAM, so you might just want to wait on that if you want the highest quality possible. PVE is aiming for around 4x upscales maximum to keep performance in check whereas DREAM is geared towards best possible quality. If you want to try these out now then yes, just enable this PVE MOBs pack, and disable the DREAM mobs. Edit: Or set this MOD to a higher load priority.
Maybe ghosts and wraiths should not have shadows (along with vampires? :D )
Whoah! What an interesting detail that would be! Never even thought about that, but it would be very neat! I was really hoping to be able to do per enemy scripts to target things like this, but apparently it isn't possible at the moment. Targeting a texture setting to modify (filtering option) I think is possible, but targeting a specific MOB prefab's Renderer.shadowCastingMode can't be done yet. :( Maybe I'll put in a request... never hurts to ask.
Last edited by MasonFace on Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.