[MOD] Pure Vanilla Extract

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
MasonFace

Re: [MOD] Pure Vanilla Extract - Help Wanted!

Post by MasonFace »

Thanks again, BoneofMalkav, for bringing this to my attention on Nexus Mods.

In classic Daggerfall, the ghosts are transparent. In Daggerfall Unity, the standard shader will make the ghost opaque like any other enemy by default. I used an XML file for the ghosts and wraiths to override the standard shader to use the "fade" shader variant instead. Unfortunately, although it looks correct inside the Unity editor, it doesn't work correctly inside DFU because the fade shader variant is getting culled from the DFU build.

TheLacus is going to add this shader variant into the DFU core game to resolve this issue. This issue will resolve itself once he does this, but I don't know the time frame for this change.

Edit: The issue has been resolved in the DFU core and will be integrated in to the next release of DFU.

@D999:
Just out of curiosity, why are using a graphics upscaling mod in tandem with Retro mode? :lol:

Goblurf

Post by Goblurf »

Hi,
I just discovered Daggerfall Unity yesterday.
I'm used to work in graphics with pbr material in Unity.
I'm totally fan of the original Daggerfall game.
So I would be pleased to help you increasing graphics for the DaggerFall Unity Project, and so on, Vanilla mod.
What can I do ?
And where to begin ?

Thanks.

Goblurf

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

Thank you Goblurf! I'll send you a PM.

Goblurf

Post by Goblurf »

Hi Masonface,
I tried to find a way to reply your PM, but cannot find any "reply" button anywhere !
Looks like I'm not participating enouth in forums to be able to write private messages... ( ???!!! )
Well, to answer you, I'm having a look tonight to the tools and textures you were talking about.
And to answer other questions, I'm used to create PBR textures using Allegorithmic substance painter or substance designer, to export them in Unity.
I'll try to do one texture tonight and do further later.
I'll ask new questions if needed.
I'm happy to help in the project ! :D

Good night.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

MasonFace wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:47 pm Thank you Goblurf! I'll send you a PM.
Hi Mason Face, Ive worked on the portraits a bit, I used your faces and placed em in my hoods. This is for some males only, because I already liked my female faces in the hoods. The hood has a added "drop shadow" effect, so the faces fit a bit better. Have a look, use it or not, up to you :)

https://ufile.io/l4e9r5pt

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

Thanks my dude! I'll probably incorporate them into PVE!

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

MasonFace wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:19 pm Thanks my dude! I'll probably incorporate them into PVE!
Sure, Im still completely burdened with the bugs and issues around paperdoll and funny stuff like that.
I remember you wanted some other parts of DREAM, which were they?

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

Thought it'd be more appropriate to post here since the neural upscale thread got into a different direction altogether.

When I tried out the Fatality model (and its interpolations) at Phredreeke 's suggestion, I think I was a little too quick to dismiss the xBRZ pre-processing. More recent tests showed that it still gives a noticeable advantage. As a matter of fact, using the Fatality/Rebout 0.5 interpolation produces some very good results on the high-res flats:
The softening process is simply scaling the source images up with xBRZ and then back down with GIMP's Bicubic interpolation.

Hey, even the small flats mostly look way better than previous attempts:

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

MrFlibble wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:12 pm Hey, even the small flats mostly look way better than previous attempts:
I managed to somewhat improve on this further by interpolating the Fatality/Rebout 0.5 interpolated model with 4x_Lady0101_v3_blender model at alpha = 0.3:

Code: Select all

net_PSNR_path = './models/4x_Lady0101_v3_blender.pth'
net_ESRGAN_path = './models/F_RB_05.pth'
It gets a bit more blurry but the faces are better than any previous result:
Medium size flats also work fine:

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

Absolutely stellar results, MrFlibble!

And since the character flats are mostly single frames, it would be reasonably simple to process them as batched sprite sheets like you generally do.

I'd be thrilled to include the upscaled character flats in PVE if you can process them all the way you've done the above samples.

Do you need anything from me to get started? I may be able to pack some sprite sheets to make the upscaling more convenient if you need me to. And I can do the tedious cropping back into individual sprites after you're done upscaling.

Or, if its more time consuming for you to do that many upscales with CPU, I can let you pack the sprite sheets and I can upscale them using your method.