[MOD] Daggerfall Autosave

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
aches

[MOD] Daggerfall Autosave

Post by aches »

Simple Increasingly featured autosaving for Daggerfall-Unity

Installation
  • Download the repo as a zip, or clone it.
  • Create a folder named Autosave in the Daggerfall-Unity mod directory. eg DaggerfallUnity_Data/StreamingAssets/Mods/Autosave
  • Take the contents of the appropriate OS folder (StandaloneWindows / OSX / Linux) and place them in the Autosave folder you created
  • Edit the settings or start the game

Settings
  • Save Interval - Set how long between saves
  • Autosave Prefixing - Set a prefix for all autosaves
  • Save in combat - Allow autosaving in combat
  • Formatting autosave names 0.9.0b
  • Save on enter exit locations, resting, fast travel 0.9.0b
  • Disable timed autosaves 0.9.0b
  • Autosave Limiting 0.9.0b

Compatibility
  • If you enable autosave limiting and have many old autosaves those old saves will be deleted to match the number of maximum autosaves. As long as they have the work Autosave in the name.
  • :!: Autosaves are identified by name. Having the word Autosave in a save will mark it for deletion :o

Download Autosave-v0.0.1
Download Autosave-v0.9.0b Beta Pre-Release
Last edited by aches on Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:17 am, edited 4 times in total.

Baler

Re: [MOD] Daggerfall Autosave

Post by Baler »

Very cool! I'll find this useful since I'm constantly hitting quicksave while racing through dungeons.

Testing now..
Edit:Works nicely :D
Excellent first post! Welcome & Thank You for sharing this!

Requests: Option to limit the number of autosaves
Option to add calender date "MM/dd/yyyy" aswell

pango

Post by pango »

Welcome to the forums, aches

That's indeed a great first post!
I wished for an Autosave / Improved Quicksave a while back, so I can only approve this mod ;)

There may be an issue when combined with Tedious Travel, or other mods that change time scale, because it will have an effect on the MonoBehavior.InvokeRepeating() method that you're using. Maybe this mod should periodically check time.realtimeSinceStartup instead...

PS. It could be that Autosave is delayed during Tedious Travel, so the effect of time scaling is not so bad. At least I don't see as many autosaves as I feared...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

aches

Post by aches »

Good looks on the feedback!
Option to add calender date "MM/dd/yyyy" aswell
Definitely something I want to do.
Option to limit the number of autosaves
Also something I'd like to do. Just need to figure out how it should be done. I may make all autosaves have an Autosave somewhere in the filename so I can determine how many autosaves are currently in the characters SaveLoadManager. Anything else could be user determined.
There may be an issue when combined with Tedious Travel, or other mods that change time scale, because it will have an effect on the MonoBehavior.InvokeRepeating() method that you're using. Maybe this mod should periodically check time.realtimeSinceStartup instead...
I'm a big fan of Tedious Travel, so this is a priority to me. time.realTimeSinceStartup seems like the ideal alternative, could also use C# native System.Timer.Timer. I'll look into it

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Welcome to the forums, and great work on your mod. Thank you as well for providing the source, I know other modders in the community will appreciate that. :)

For the timing, I use Time.realTimeSinceStartup for these kinds of timers and it works great. I'd only suggest checking if the game is paused or not so its not saving during UI interactions.

BTW, I've had Autosave on my internal roadmap for a while, but my implementation would be a bit different (e.g. save when starting rest, initiating fast travel, entering/exiting buildings and dungeons, that kind of thing). I love that your autosave is timer-based and keeps multiple longer history. You're filling a different niche and the two will be able to co-exist happily.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

I love this idea too. IK, if you were also planning autosave functions for base DFU, is there any way you and aches could work together to combine these features at some point (aches's timer-based as well as your event-based autosaves, etc.)?

aches

Post by aches »

(e.g. save when starting rest, initiating fast travel, entering/exiting buildings and dungeons, that kind of thing)
Funny you guys should mention that :D
autosave_todo.png
autosave_todo.png (275.27 KiB) Viewed 15005 times

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Nice! Soooo can we get this in base DFU instead of a separate mod? Later TES games had similar functionality, though this is an improvement over e.g. base Skyrim options, which didn't have timed autosaves without modding.

Also, I assume it's possible to disable "timed" autosaves completely by scrolling to one or the other end of the "Autosave Interval" bar, yeah?

aches

Post by aches »

Also, I assume it's possible to disable "timed" autosaves completely by scrolling to one or the other end of the "Autosave Interval" bar, yeah?
Yep, 0 is a valid option and will disable timed autosaves
Nice! Soooo can we get this in base DFU instead of a separate mod?
I don't see why not. As long as IK hasn't put work in already. I wouldn't want to make merge conflicts
One thing I thought of was where to put the settings. We could possibly do something like this but not mspaint quality
options.png
options.png (47.8 KiB) Viewed 14995 times

Edit: Seems I forgot that df-unity has an options menu on startup :lol:

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Yeah, currently you can't access DFU options without a complete restart, but I think IK is going to add that convenience feature fairly soon. But I like your suggestion for the menu access, if he hasn't decided on how that will work already.