[MOD] Roleplay & Realism (modular)

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Hazelnut

Re: Roleplay & Realism mod pack

Post by Hazelnut »

Yeah, I thought about doing that but wanted to wait and see if people cared enough. I did a bit of testing around some hills in west and it was not much of an issue to me. Much less than I thought it would be honestly, so I left it for now.

Where did you find it started to look silly? Are you using the default terrain sampler?
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

pango

Post by pango »

Yes, I'm usually using Distant Terrain, so I get to experience all kind of slopes ;)
In this example I'm near Bubadja, Dragontail Mountains. Local slope is almost 45°, and if I look down at Bubadja the horse head gets in the way. From there I can't look down either.
It should be noted that the slope is not as high all the way down to Bubadja, so the problem can probably happen in other places with "only" 30° slopes.
looking up.jpg
looking up.jpg (125.02 KiB) Viewed 1910 times
looking down.jpg
looking down.jpg (177.04 KiB) Viewed 1910 times
Attachments
SAVE377.zip
(319.55 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Thanks Pango, that's a great place to test even with the standard terrain. Have worked out how to do this but it will need another core change to support it, so not going to be out until next DFU build.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I like this a lot, I have one small issue.

When I use the HD horses Ive created, and ride it and look down, there is the cut in the horses neck.

I understand that this is a workaround to get the neck longer so the look down works - its a good trick.

But

Can this be somehow adjusted so the cut is not so visible?

In the original its not so apparent due to the low res nature of the image, but its there as well ofc.

Maybe a option to create a modded version with a longer neck without the cut?
Dunno...

HD:
horse.jpg
horse.jpg (206.53 KiB) Viewed 1857 times
Original:
horse original.jpg
horse original.jpg (234.77 KiB) Viewed 1857 times

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

pango wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:14 pm "looking down towards the city"
Off topic but the distan terrain when u look towards the city looks like a pyramids.

Would be awesome to have some pyramids in the desert for real. :geek:

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

King of Worms wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:22 pm I like this a lot, I have one small issue.

When I use the HD horses Ive created, and ride it and look down, there is the cut in the horses neck.

I understand that this is a workaround to get the neck longer so the look down works - its a good trick.

But

Can this be somehow adjusted so the cut is not so visible?

In the original its not so apparent due to the low res nature of the image, but its there as well ofc.

Maybe a option to create a modded version with a longer neck without the cut?
Dunno...
I was thinking about this the other day. I think if an artist can create animated horse art with the extra neck included, so height increased to match the cut and stitched version then I will update the mod to utilise the extra instead of this trick I created to achieve the effect with the classic game files. Not quite sure how I should trigger the detection, probably on aspect ratio so any contributed art with extra neck will be used, and any at the original ratio will use the stitch technique.

Sound like a plan?

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I can try that. But I need to know the size of the extention I should create. Like... 1/4 more lenght? 1/5?

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

So the original horse images are 106x105 pixels. If you create an image with roughly 22% extra height it should be about right. With original resolution its an extra 23px height for a virtual 128px at this resolution. Scale for your higher resolution then that should cover it. Basically do 1/4 more length and it should work fine.

I think it should just work without code changes, but I will need to check and test that. Could you send me the upscaled horse file with the extra length? Doesn't have to be drawn yet, just some lines would be enough to test the rendering.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hazelnut wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:11 am So the original horse images are 106x105 pixels. If you create an image with roughly 22% extra height it should be about right. With original resolution its an extra 23px height for a virtual 128px at this resolution. Scale for your higher resolution then that should cover it. Basically do 1/4 more length and it should work fine.

I think it should just work without code changes, but I will need to check and test that. Could you send me the upscaled horse file with the extra length? Doesn't have to be drawn yet, just some lines would be enough to test the rendering.
Hi, I will try, Im quite busy and overwhelmed atm.

Just a note.. the setting for advanced archery (that hold button to charge arrow) is still reverting to OFF - always.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

King of Worms wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:03 am
Hazelnut wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:11 am So the original horse images are 106x105 pixels. If you create an image with roughly 22% extra height it should be about right. With original resolution its an extra 23px height for a virtual 128px at this resolution. Scale for your higher resolution then that should cover it. Basically do 1/4 more length and it should work fine.

Hi, I will try, Im quite busy and overwhelmed atm.
No rush, just do it when you're ready. I'll check it works and make any needed changes whenever.
King of Worms wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:03 am Just a note.. the setting for advanced archery (that hold button to charge arrow) is still reverting to OFF - always.
Hmm, really? Doesn't do that for me. The default is off - but once you set it, it should persist like all the other DFU settings.