[MOD] Roleplay & Realism (modular)

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
King of Worms

Re: Roleplay & Realism mod pack

Post by King of Worms »

It would be really handy if there was some way to create torches while in the dungeon.
Yes, seems really strange not being able to get torch in a dungeon where there are torches on every wall. Most realistic option would be to "loot" the torch from a wall. So it disappears after u pick it up. I guess removing the model completely would be hard? If so, just turn the torch off :D

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

Armour effects: One of the things that makes everyone wear plate armour is that there are no downsides to this.
Yeah, a stealth penalty and faster endurance drain would be pretty realistic downsides, so that would be a cool feature to have.
I like the idea of the wagon, but the effect on the gameplay doesn't feel realistic, it feels like an exploit. Other than simply removing the wagon, could there be some way to modify its mechanics?
I feel the problem is not so much with the wagon mechanics as it is with the lootonomics of RPGs in general. I mean, if anybody actually ever showed up at a shop with a cart full of bloody armor and weapons he'd have had the catchpoles paying him a visit real fast, but not even KC:D went there, the trope is so strongly engrained in the genre.

Later ES titles mitigated this a little by giving the vendor a money cap that refills over time, that might be a feasible option for daggerall too. Don't know how hard it would be to implement for mods, though, since probably the code regulating things like that is stowed away in the vendor UI itself, and overriding UI elements is a maintenance nightmare, I can tell you...

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

jedidia wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:52 am
I like the idea of the wagon, but the effect on the gameplay doesn't feel realistic, it feels like an exploit. Other than simply removing the wagon, could there be some way to modify its mechanics?
I feel the problem is not so much with the wagon mechanics as it is with the lootonomics of RPGs in general. I mean, if anybody actually ever showed up at a shop with a cart full of bloody armor and weapons he'd have had the catchpoles paying him a visit real fast, but not even KC:D went there, the trope is so strongly engrained in the genre.

Later ES titles mitigated this a little by giving the vendor a money cap that refills over time, that might be a feasible option for daggerall too. Don't know how hard it would be to implement for mods, though, since probably the code regulating things like that is stowed away in the vendor UI itself, and overriding UI elements is a maintenance nightmare, I can tell you...
I was thinking about this yesterday and one of the things that struck me, is why is all items you find in dungeons "New"? It seems like all the monsters are just carefully storing and maintaining their loot while waiting to get killed so the hero can sell it for the most amount of money.

It would be nice if all loot in dungeons got a random condition that only once in a while was "new" and shops offered a LOT less money for used items. Suddenly you would have to take items to be repaired first to get a good price and by then it's not worth the hassle unless it's particularly valuable.

At the moment I'm playing a character with ST50, no wagon and full plate armour. So I've really gotten to experience the difference and I have to say the game works much better like this. You only pick up loot if its small and valuable. All armour and weapons get left behind if you are not intending to use it. And I only have enough gold to make things work out. If I see a new armour piece in a shop I'm sometimes forced to sell my old armour first in order to afford the new one. Other than the general RP feeling of this, it also improves the gameplay by having you drastically cut down on the amount of time wasted on loot runs and selling stuff.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Happy to consider plate armour pieces affecting the player along with encumbrance. Currently speed is reduced once above 75% of max carry weight by 2 pts per % over 75, capped at 20% max speed. Fatigue drains faster too. Maybe each item of plate should lower agility & speed a bit, so maybe 2 points / item?

As for the wagon lootathon thing, I actually like it. Unlike most games where you can accumulate lots of wealth, Daggerfall has money sinks (Daedra summoning, house, ship etc) so you at least have a reason to get the gold. I do like the idea of armour found being in varying condition though and lowering prices. That will probably make it in so there's a decision to make about repairing before selling, which should always make you more money I think. That would give the fighters guild perk of cheaper repairs as you increase in rank quite the extra benefit as well.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Yes yes, but what about my idea of bow animation? :lol: :cry:

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Hazelnut wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:05 pm Happy to consider plate armour pieces affecting the player along with encumbrance. Currently speed is reduced once above 75% of max carry weight by 2 pts per % over 75, capped at 20% max speed. Fatigue drains faster too. Maybe each item of plate should lower agility & speed a bit, so maybe 2 points / item?
I tried to google it a bit but couldn't find any info on it: does attributes actually affect the skill checks? They affect damage, tohit and speed of attack, but actual skill checks like stealth, pickpocket, languages etc? Otherwise the agility debuff would just affect tohit and the odds of training the skill.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

It could reduce the stealth skill as well, sure.

And the undraw animation, it's a core change but should be straightforward. Will add to the (quite long) todo list..
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

ACNAero

Post by ACNAero »

In regards to the armor, but (correct me if I'm wrong) armor boosts your armor class, which has no effect on damage, but rather reduces your chance to be hit. So if we add penalties to plate, then we end up with the weird logic that Plate gives you a better chance to dodge while in heavy armor that decreases your speed and agility, while Leather is light armor that lets you have full speed and agility but the worst dodge chance. :?

I'd say for armor to be balanced and sensical, it needs an overhaul in how it works entirely, but I don't think that's within the scope of this mod (although Hazelnut can always disagree).

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

Maybe each item of plate should lower agility & speed a bit, so maybe 2 points / item?
Lowering agility would mostly mean that the armor doesn't fit well... Which, considering you probably picked it upin a dungeon might well be the case, but I'd rather avoid the "heavy armor is clumsy" stereotype. It definitely drains fatigue a lot faster, though. If you're going to play with speed, I'd actually rather see a mechanic that makes your stamina influence your speed once it drops below 50% or so. slightly at first, then progressively more noticable. That would be the best of all worlds, but might be a bit overkill on the implementation side.

I also second the above suggestion of mixing up conditions of items found in dungeons. I had that idea myself once, but then I got sidetracked by live and barely have enough time to maintain the one mod I already made...

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Yeah, with the sort of odd and bare-bones way armour works in the game, debuffing agility would probably have some odd results. I'm thinking skill debuffs to Stealth and maybe Stamina?