[MOD] Roleplay & Realism (modular)

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
L57

Re: [MOD] Roleplay & Realism mod pack

Post by L57 »

Ralzar wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:56 am No, the bare-armed round-helmet sprite used to be a monk or warrior. That sprite is now used for monk or rogue.
Isn't there a version of fully armored knight with round helmet, like this one?

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

That's the city guard.

I think Hazelnut left him alone because he's so iconic. Still though I can see the argument for actually using another sprite for the city guard and then using the city guard sprite for knights.

L57

Post by L57 »

Ralzar wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:06 pm That's the city guard.

I think Hazelnut left him alone because he's so iconic. Still though I can see the argument for actually using another sprite for the city guard and then using the city guard sprite for knights.
Hmm apparently I messed, I thought a city guard is technically a Knight (turns into this one when is trying to HALT you) and hence uses one of the Knight's sprites literally. I haven't noticed there is no actually Knight enemies with such sprite in dungeons/wilderness.

No more questions then. :) Thanks for clarification

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Man, this made me realize it would be pretty cool if knight/warrior enemies in the Daggerfall, Wayrest and Sentinel castles actually used the Guard sprite.

L57

Post by L57 »

Ralzar wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:39 pm Man, this made me realize it would be pretty cool if knight/warrior enemies in the Daggerfall, Wayrest and Sentinel castles actually used the Guard sprite.
They could be simply guards instead of warriors/knights, but it's impossible to do I suppose, because guard perhaps can't work as a normal enemy.

Honestly I wouldn't like to change guard sprite. This look like proper high-quality armor which guards and soldiers are supposed to wear. Horned version is just too 'bandit-ish' to me or something, supposed to be worn by barbaric warlord or such. It doesn't fit State troops/soldiers/guards, in my opinion.

It would be cool to use the guard sprite for some NPC enemies (such as warriors and knights), but, apparently, game doesn't allow more than 1 sprite for each enemy, as I realized right now. So current R&R approach is the best solution in this regard I think.

UPD However, since warriors and knights currently use the same sprite... why don't use guard sprite as a warrior sprite instead? :roll: You will able to distinguish between them, after all. I mean, warriors would use the same sprite as guards, and knights will have their unique one.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Firstly if you just took a look with DF imaging you would see guards don't have bow animations so cannot be used for knights unless their ranged ability is removed.

Secondly, yes I wish that Knights didn't have horned helmets (wings are okay for the females I think) but this is the best mapping given the available sprites. Warrirors and Knights are now using the heavily armoured sprite, with Rogues (mercenary) and Monks (warrior monk) using the medium armor sprite.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

L57

Post by L57 »

Hazelnut wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:52 pm Firstly if you just took a look with DF imaging you would see guards don't have bow animations so cannot be used for knights unless their ranged ability is removed.

Secondly, yes I wish that Knights didn't have horned helmets (wings are okay for the females I think) but this is the best mapping given the available sprites. Warrirors and Knights are now using the heavily armoured sprite, with Rogues (mercenary) and Monks (warrior monk) using the medium armor sprite.
So that's the way how devs restricted guards from using the bow? Makes sense.

Yes, I see it's probably the best available approach given game restrictions. The only possibility I imagine is to keep warrior with bare-handed round-helmet sprite. All these warriors are more like raiders/bandits, and random bandits usually don't wear high quality full plate armor anyway, so it could be ok. And knights could be perceived as higher class/noble version of these, hence better armor. But it's just me.

Whole idea is really great, thanks for the effort. Probably later we could add/edit animations and make it even better and 'flexible'.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Hm. I'm taking a look at sprite editing. Some cut-n-paste could go a long way here...

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Hm, that was easy but awkward. Looks like I have a new hobby.
hornless knight.png
hornless knight.png (107.34 KiB) Viewed 1349 times

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Maybe that should have it's own thread. Also, you realise there are a lot of frames for each sprite right? This remix is entirely independent of changing the sprites themselves, and possibly using the upscaled versions that MasonFace contributed to Dream would be a better use of time?
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods