[MOD] Roleplay & Realism (modular)

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Firebrand

Re: Roleplay & Realism mod pack

Post by Firebrand »

I'm looking forward to try it! 8-)

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Hope you all like the enhanced riding when you get to try it, I think it works really well considering it only uses classic graphic assets. Will be interested to get feedback, as long as it's not moaning that it's not a bazillion poly fully animated 3d horse! :D

Anyway, I'll be releasing the new version to coincide with the new DFU alpha release due soon, as this version will need DFU v0.10.6 or later to work.

I also added a simple module that gives consequences to carrying too much weight. Once you're carrying more than three quarters of your maximum capacity, your speed will start to reduce and rate of fatigue will increase. This is relative to weight up to -50% speed at 100% capacity. The reduction will show on the character sheet just like any other stat debuff. The idea came from these forums somewhere, can't recall who made the suggestion but I liked it so decided to implement it.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Ooh, excellent idea.

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand »

Hazelnut wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:33 am Anyway, I'll be releasing the new version to coincide with the new DFU alpha release due soon, as this version will need DFU v0.10.6 or later to work.
Current DFU version is 0.10.4, next version will be 0.10.5 or we gonna skip directly to 0.10.6?
Hazelnut wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:33 am I also added a simple module that gives consequences to carrying too much weight. Once you're carrying more than three quarters of your maximum capacity, your speed will start to reduce and rate of fatigue will increase. This is relative to weight up to -50% speed at 100% capacity. The reduction will show on the character sheet just like any other stat debuff. The idea came from these forums somewhere, can't recall who made the suggestion but I liked it so decided to implement it.
Cool idea! 8-) :)

pango

Post by pango »

Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Internal release, rather than skipped..
/semantic-pedantry

But yeah next build released will be 0.10.6 - really looking forward to feedback about the horse riding. If you look at the code it's very little really, but the effect is great! :D
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Kaedius

Post by Kaedius »

It's amazing what a difference the horse change makes, looks great! Always disliked that horse plastered to the screen wherever I looked.

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand »

Hazelnut wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:48 pm I recorded a small demo video showing the enhanced horse riding in action.

I was noticing a minor thing, but maybe my observation may be useful.

In the trot, the horse moves two of its legs in diagonal pairs at the same time. The right front leg and the left hind leg move forward while the left front leg and the hind right leg move backwards, and vice versa.
The hooves paired legs strike the ground at the same time, producing a 1-2 beat.
It sounds like this:
clip-clop, clip-clop, as evenly spaced beats. >> Daggerfall classic horses trots.

In the galop, the horse move his legs in a completely different way
It's easier to have a look at this video than to explain:

as you can see, you have:
  • some moment with no legs on the ground,
  • in a rapid sequence, legs 1-2-3 and 4 hit the ground
  • then the cicle repeat
In short, a galloping horse make this sound:
bada-bomp, (space), bada-bomp, (space), etc.

My point is, when in the demo video the horse moves faster, it sounds like a fast trot, not a gallop. A different sound effect have to be used, speeding up trot sound isn't enough :)

Something like this:
https://freesound.org/people/prosounder/sounds/32679/

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Haha, I just code stuff and think it's good enough. Call it a fast trot then if you like. :lol:

Sorry, I've no desire to start searching and editing sounds etc. This was a one line of code to speed up sounds, main utility of the sound change is simply to give player feedback that they're moving faster. Now when someone does do full 3d horse rendered and animated, now then it would need the right sounds! Maybe even no clip clops on soft ground etc. :D

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

Oh man that horse demo Video looks great.
Can't wait to check this out after I hit up the chinese buffet (friday means crab legs).
Thank you man !

Great so I still got to wait, hurry up 0.10.6
Ahh it just dropped sweet !!

I love the new font btw
Check out my YouTube Channel!