[MOD] Roleplay & Realism (modular)

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Jay_H

Re: [MOD] Roleplay & Realism (modular)

Post by Jay_H »

jimfcarroll wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:08 am 2. Buying anything and having the amount on a letter of credit decrement as if it was gold pieces in your inventor doesn't make sense
That could be imagined like you turning in the whole letter of credit and getting a smaller one back from the shopkeeper, right? The alternative sounds like you'd be shipping letters of credit from one bank to another to withdraw gold coins from them -- not a bad approach, to be fair (especially since almost all major purchases are done in the banks themselves).

jimfcarroll

Post by jimfcarroll »

Jay_H wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:46 am That could be imagined like you turning in the whole letter of credit and getting a smaller one back from the shopkeeper, right?
Yeah. That makes sense. But it just feels like a loophole where you get weightless gold without any restrictions once you have a letter of credit in hand.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Been a while since I gave any suggestions to this mod :D

Backwards movement.

At the moment you can ride backwards at the same speed as forwards. I assume it's the same for walking/running?

How about having horse backwards movement be really slow and player movement somewhat slow? It always seems weird to be able to run for ever backwards while shooting arrows at enemies that can never catch up. The exception might be if I have really high speed that lets my backwards movement exeed the enemies forward speed.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Already done horse movement restrictions for the next release. For both backwards and sideways movement, and depends on using horse or cart. Horse gets 50% speed backwards and 40% sideways, cart gets 20% speed backwards and 10% sideways. Mainly left the sideways movement for travelling on autopilot to enable avoiding building etc.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Niiiice :D

DigitalMonk

Post by DigitalMonk »

jimfcarroll wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:25 am
Jay_H wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:46 am That could be imagined like you turning in the whole letter of credit and getting a smaller one back from the shopkeeper, right?
Yeah. That makes sense. But it just feels like a loophole where you get weightless gold without any restrictions once you have a letter of credit in hand.
I suppose we could go down the paper money path... Essentially pre-sized letters of credit (bills of credit, perhaps) in various amounts (5, 10, 20, 50, 100 gold pieces, maybe ;) ) Making change would be as expected. A shopkeeper probably wouldn't be able to issue a new letter of credit (Wal-Mart can't print $15 bills), and most likely wouln't take a full letter of credit (ie, 1,856,382 GP worth). We'd need some form of encumbrance for these bills, probably equivalent to a piece of paper.

Or checks, but really, at that point, you're just putting different words on what the existing letter of credit does. To be honest, IRL I walk around with a plastic "letter of credit" for the balance of funds in my checking account, and every time I buy something, that "letter of credit" gets decreased accordingly. IRL, that requires computers and networks and so forth, but I could imagine in a magical world that a special type of "money magic" would get researched that would allow you to carry around a scroll that essentially teleported gold coins from the vault to your current location as needed. Maybe that's what a DF letter of credit is (or something vaguely like it).

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

New release - first full release actually - v1.0 is now availible on Nexus for DFU 0.10.26+ with the following changes:
  • Added variant NPCs sprites module for some shop keepers and tavern keepers
  • Limit riding motion for strafing and backpedaling
  • Update horse charge damage calculation, now based on agility and willpower as well as hand to hand skill
  • Using bandages now tallys for the medical skill improvements
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Just uploaded a hotfix for a minor bug in 1.0 with the auto douse torch message not being found. If you care about this, please download 1.0 again from nexus. The filename is RoleplayRealism-1.0b.zip (replacing RoleplayRealism-1.0.zip)

N_Molson

Post by N_Molson »

I love the idea of redoing the "letter of credit" system, yes it seems very odd that merchants have the right to write such letters. If so they can make their own letters for themselves and from there its all fraud and corruption, not really an empire ! :shock:

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

N_Molson wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:18 am I love the idea of redoing the "letter of credit" system, yes it seems very odd that merchants have the right to write such letters. If so they can make their own letters for themselves and from there its all fraud and corruption, not really an empire ! :shock:
We actually had some ideas for how the letter of credit could be more "realistic/interesting" in this thread, if you are interesting. This particular examples I have at the bottom of the linked post.

viewtopic.php?p=44177#p44177