[MOD] Vanilla MIDI OST - Music on a Roland Sound Canvas 55 V2.0

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
pango

Re: [MOD] Vanilla MIDI OST - Music on a Roland Sound Canvas 55 V1.0

Post by pango »

The quality is superb. I listened the some SC rendering on YouTube before, but it is no match.
Also, hearing the music in context while playing is a different experience. I like it!
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

ByteMixer

Post by ByteMixer »

I'm glad the info in my project helped point you in the right direction on getting you project started!

And, sorry for not responding sooner. We just closed on our house on the 26th, so as you can imagine, it's been a pretty busy past couple of weeks!
"Whatever you do, make good art." - Neil Gaiman

JohnBeavers

Post by JohnBeavers »

pango wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:54 pm The quality is superb. I listened the some SC rendering on YouTube before, but it is no match.
Also, hearing the music in context while playing is a different experience. I like it!
Thank you very much :)
If you want, I can upload a version on Youtube too.
ByteMixer wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:18 am I'm glad the info in my project helped point you in the right direction on getting you project started!
Your project showed me how it is possible to add anytrack you like in a Sound folder with the right naming convention.
Seeing that, gave me the idea to create this rendering.
Here is my Youtube channel if you are ever interested (FR): https://www.youtube.com/user/JohnBeaversYT/

Braggi

Post by Braggi »

You just warmed the heart of a retired sound man.

Thank you JB.

:)

Azteca

Post by Azteca »

I am listening to this on some very nice Focal monitors and sub in my partially treated room at work. It sounds awesome.
04 has some heft to the drums! Really cool to hear it as the composer did.

05 has horse and cricket sounds at 3:24-3:34 - I assume this is a mistake?

Also, what's up with the __FM files (e.g. 02, 02FM)? They seem indistinguishable. Does the game require these?

Thanks again for the great work. Between this and ByteMixer, we have truly great classic and modern versions.

Mods, can we get this into the Released Mods subform?

EDIT: 5Strong is glorious cranked! :o

JohnBeavers

Post by JohnBeavers »

Azteca wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:48 pm 05 has horse and cricket sounds at 3:24-3:34 - I assume this is a mistake?
Oh ! Thank you very much for pointing that out ! I published a corrected version (V 1.01).
Azteca wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:48 pm Also, what's up with the __FM files (e.g. 02, 02FM)? They seem indistinguishable. Does the game require these?
I don't know how the game worked woth thoose tracks. Sometimes I can swear that FM versions are better but it just be a bias because there is FM in the title XD
I prefered to leave it as is.
Azteca wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:48 pm Mods, can we get this into the Released Mods subform?
I don't know how you do that. I though that sometimes the forum admins move a selection of threads to Released Mods section. It is both full and released so yes, that would be nice.

Thank you !
Braggi wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:48 pm You just warmed the heart of a retired sound man.
My pleasure :)
Here is my Youtube channel if you are ever interested (FR): https://www.youtube.com/user/JohnBeaversYT/

ShortBeard

Post by ShortBeard »

This is fantastic! Well done!

GreatSphynx

Re: [MOD] Vanilla MIDI OST - Music on a Roland Sound Canvas 55 V1.01

Post by GreatSphynx »

Sounds great so far! I have an SC-88 that I use for a lot of things in DOSbox when I can. I also use it for composition. I love the sound canvases

I'm not sure if it's like this in the original or just a small error but song_folk2 doesn't loop properly. It starts with the first note of the song again, then pauses and starts again.

pango

Post by pango »

JohnBeavers wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:02 pm
Azteca wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:48 pm Also, what's up with the __FM files (e.g. 02, 02FM)? They seem indistinguishable. Does the game require these?
I don't know how the game worked woth thoose tracks. Sometimes I can swear that FM versions are better but it just be a bias because there is FM in the title XD
I prefered to leave it as is.
What I believe is that those are variants tweaked to sound better (or less worse) on soundcards using FM synthesis; Most likely, using OPL3 specifically.
Compare the MIDI list for OPL3 and SC-55 as curated by Syllogism...

But I couldn't tell the difference for the ones I checked... So maybe they fix only very specific issues with OPL3 rendering

More on topic, it seems Daggerfall Unity does not currently use the "FM" versions of MIDI files:
https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... Manager.cs
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

JohnBeavers

Re: [MOD] Vanilla MIDI OST - Music on a Roland Sound Canvas 55 V1.01

Post by JohnBeavers »

GreatSphynx wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:04 am Sounds great so far! I have an SC-88 that I use for a lot of things in DOSbox when I can. I also use it for composition. I love the sound canvases

I'm not sure if it's like this in the original or just a small error but song_folk2 doesn't loop properly. It starts with the first note of the song again, then pauses and starts again.
The SC88 is a great piece of technology :)
Allow me to share this midi file with you. It is the opening to the game called Ys.
It really is a mater piece.

Here is a BIG pack of japanese games midi files made for the sound canvas if you happen to be interested.

About the loopin folk_2, in fact, no midi file quite loops well. At the end of each there is like 5 to 10 seconds of silence with a very last note, that must be where it should loop but it is not really good. What I did is that I cut these last seconds eveytime.
I may work on every loop in a later iteration.
pango wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:28 am What I believe is that those are variants tweaked to sound better (or less worse) on soundcards using FM synthesis; Most likely, using OPL3 specifically.
Compare the MIDI list for OPL3 and SC-55 as curated by Syllogism...

But I couldn't tell the difference for the ones I checked... So maybe they fix only very specific issues with OPL3 rendering

More on topic, it seems Daggerfall Unity does not currently use the "FM" versions of MIDI files:
https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... Manager.cs
Thank you for the links. It indeed seems to be linked to the type of rendering device you used back in the day.
On line 670 of the Github file you sent, there is mention of FM version.
I not good at coding enough to understand if it is only mentionned or if it is used.

Can you explain it to me, please ?