[Update TBA] The Ironman Module Pack

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Narf the Mouse

Re: [MOD] Ironman

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Jay_H wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:02 am Augh, this is absolutely amazing. I'm doing a melee build based on Vondur's Mad Genius: Warm Ashes, slow healing, tedious travel, scanty resources... I'm traveling halfway across Daggerfall region to find better work and the sense of risk is amazing. I love this! It's a whole new game!
Can I get a modlist? Because all of that and an ironman mod sounds really cool.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Nothing too excessive:
One of the key differences for me is to reduce Endurance to the minimum possible, so you heal super-slow. Then everything becomes a strategic decision about when and where you're going to try resting.

DFIronman

Post by DFIronman »

Hey guys, I just released v0.1.2. It includes a couple of new features (experimental, mostly, as there are some issues with the "disable pausing" feature), but most importantly it fixes a save overwrite bug. This is likely the actual bug that Jay_H reported before.

I thought that SAVE0 (the first save) was being deleted in v0.1.0, but instead, it was being overwritten directly by Daggerfall Unity. SaveLoadHandler.EnumerateSaves() (a core DF Unity function) hadn't been called by the time my mod saves at the beginning of the game. Because of that, Daggerfall Unity thought no saves existed yet, causing Ironman to overwrite SAVE0.
Last edited by DFIronman on Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

DFIronman

Post by DFIronman »

Released v0.1.3. This just disables the "disable pausing" option. You can still enable the checkbox in the mod settings menu, but it won't do anything. It was causing too many issues with the game and wasn't ready for release anyway.

You'll want to upgrade because v0.1.2 causes an issue with reloading games (due to the "disable pausing" option, even if it's not enabled).

jedidia

Re: [MOD] Ironman v0.1.3

Post by jedidia »

This sounds great, I would however advocate for optional permadeath. I.e. an option to play iron man (you only get one save, so you have to live with the consequences of what you're doing), but don't wipe it upon death.

I do love roguelikes a lot, but I find permadeath doesn't work for me when a game can get dozens or even hundreds of hours long.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I think this is for certain niche characters. You won't do this for every character you ever make; if anyone ever makes it through the final dungeon of the main quest in Ironman I would need video proof to believe it. For characters going the long haul it's probably not a good idea, but for specific purposes it's really great.

I have two DFU installations on my computer, one with mods and one without, and I can enter the unmodded one and take control of my Ironman character without issue. So the character isn't permanently locked down if I change my mind.

Even so, with the mod installed you can omit it for any character you create ;)

DFIronman

Post by DFIronman »

Interestingly enough, the mod started out as "Perma-Death," and I got the idea to do Ironman by the time I had finished it. I appreciate the suggestion, but I feel like if you want to play with only one save, and still have the option to reload, you can just choose to do that. The stakes are in the perma-death.

Unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to play any real games with it yet, but I intend to leave it enabled for all of my characters (along with no-pause - if I can make it work properly - and "no exiting when enemies are nearby" enabled). That way, when my characters start becoming over-powered, it feels earned - and there's still real risk involved if I get too cocky.

Writing this up, I just got the idea to add a gameplay option where you have to rely on your skills when robbing a shop after-hours. Maybe a combination of Pickpocket+Stealth dictates your chances of success at night? It'll really make you think about clearing out that shop, which makes the game more exciting and challenging. I may add an option to disable/nerf the bank loan system as well (or make it incredibly dangerous to default on a loan). Both options would be enabled by default in Ironman games, but could be disabled at the settings menu.

Finally, after I finish any remaining work on Ironman, I'm probably going to take a look at binding spells to keys/key combinations (e.g. Shift-1) and possibly also showing your readied spell on the HUD. I don't know how easy it's going to be to do well, but the Daggerfall system makes it a little annoying to play a magic user, so I'd like to alleviate some of that tedium. That, of course, will be a standalone mod.

emmathepony

Post by emmathepony »

I'd LOVE to watch Ironman High Reflex speedruns of this game now. :shock:

DFIronman

Post by DFIronman »

emmathepony wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:50 pm I'd LOVE to watch Ironman High Reflex speedruns of this game now. :shock:
I know, me too. Or even regular playthroughs. They'll be fun to see - especially with the changes coming in the next version. I'm copying the following from a reply I made to another post:

For the next release, Ironman will be split into two .dfmods (both in the same zip archive): Ironman.dfmod and Ironman Gameplay Systems.dfmod. The original Ironman will only pertain to perma-death and how the save/load system works. Ironman Gameplay Systems will give the player the option to modify several things.

Here's what I have planned for the next release:
  • Disable Pausing (The game will keep running no matter which menu you're in - you can die in the inventory menu)
  • Disable Quitting When Enemies are Nearby
  • Modified Shop Burglary - Currently, planning to call the guards if you fail some kind of pickpocket+stealth+luck check when attempting to steal any single item from a shop after hours. I also hope to make it so that if you fail a stealth+luck check while moving around in a shop (after hours), the guards will come to nail you for Breaking & Entering. I'll probably make it so the stealth+luck check will always succeed once you get something like a combined total of 60 (crouching), 80 (walking) and 100 (running) for your stealth+luck check (100% of your stealth, with 25% of your luck). The logic behind this is that you made a loud noise while stealing/walking and alerted a guard who was passing by.
  • Modified Loan System - Details are too rough on this right now. I'm toying with either just sending a ton of powerful foes after you on a very regular basis if you default on a loan, nerfing the amount of gold you can borrow from any one bank, or temporarily disabling the system until the next release.
  • Modified Critical Strike - Critical strike no longer provides a bonus to hit, but a bonus to damage that scales with your critical strike skill. Humanoid enemies will benefit from this as well.
  • Make enemies chase you out of dungeons (if this is possible and easy enough to code for the next release)
All of the above changes are optional and each can be disabled individually in the Ironman Gameplay Systems menu.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

DFIronman wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:02 pm
  • Modified Shop Burglary - Currently, planning to call the guards if you fail some kind of pickpocket+stealth+luck check when attempting to steal any single item from a shop after hours. I also hope to make it so that if you fail a stealth+luck check while moving around in a shop (after hours), the guards will come to nail you for Breaking & Entering. I'll probably make it so the stealth+luck check will always succeed once you get something like a combined total of 60 (crouching), 80 (walking) and 100 (running) for your stealth+luck check (100% of your stealth, with 25% of your luck). The logic behind this is that you made a loud noise while stealing/walking and alerted a guard who was passing by.
  • Modified Loan System - Details are too rough on this right now. I'm toying with either just sending a ton of powerful foes after you on a very regular basis if you default on a loan, nerfing the amount of gold you can borrow from any one bank, or temporarily disabling the system until the next release.
  • Modified Critical Strike - Critical strike no longer provides a bonus to hit, but a bonus to damage that scales with your critical strike skill. Humanoid enemies will benefit from this as well.
  • Make enemies chase you out of dungeons (if this is possible and easy enough to code for the next release)
I would strooongly suggest making these stand-alone mods. These are things people have been begging for for years, and they may not know it's hidden in your second Ironman mod.