[MOD] Daggerfall Skyshards

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
alphaTECH

Re: [MOD] Daggerfall Skyshards

Post by alphaTECH »

I'll be disappointed though, you can't just leave shit broken and call it a day. DFU especially is supposed to be all about fixing and updating.

pango

Post by pango »

Works for me, maybe load order issue?
direnni shard.jpg
direnni shard.jpg (136.86 KiB) Viewed 3171 times
direnni shard 2.jpg
direnni shard 2.jpg (260.09 KiB) Viewed 3171 times
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

alphaTECH

Post by alphaTECH »

pango wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:14 am Works for me, maybe load order issue?
The plot thickens... I'll try and swap some things around.

Also, is that cascading small magic markers thing something you've done yourself? I'd love to have that in my game.

BoneofMalkav

Post by BoneofMalkav »

pango wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:14 am Works for me, maybe load order issue?
Thank you, you were right, it was a load order issue. I put it as high as it could go in the load order and the Skyshard at Castle Daggerfall showed up exactly where it should.

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

If the sky-shards don't show up, but you can hear em, see the shaft of light (they're under the ground), do a quick save, and load it (on the spot).
It seems like it's happening when I'm going to places manually (no fast traveling).
Not all the time, but when it does, this fixes it..
Check out my YouTube Channel!

pango

Post by pango »

Midknightprince wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:20 am If the sky-shards don't show up, but you can hear em, see the shaft of light (they're under the ground), do a quick save, and load it (on the spot).
It seems like it's happening when I'm going to places manually (no fast traveling).
A lot of things happen asynchronously, that could explain the randomness: sometimes the building is created first and the skyshard on top of it, sometimes the skyshard is created first and the building on top of it...
I wonder if there's provisions in loading framework to force an order and get the right behavior all the time...
-- Charles Goodhart

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

pango wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:40 am
Midknightprince wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:20 am If the sky-shards don't show up, but you can hear em, see the shaft of light (they're under the ground), do a quick save, and load it (on the spot).
A lot of things happen asynchronously, that could explain the randomness: sometimes the building is created first and the skyshard on top of it, sometimes the skyshard is created first and the building on top of it...
I wonder if there's provisions in loading framework to force an order and get the right behavior all the time...
When I was testing Mountain Rumours for Hazelnut we ran into this kind of problem with a building:
The door entrance was up a set of stairs. If you started outside, you could enter and exit the building without problems.
However, if you loaded a savegame inside the building and then left through the door, it spent a few seconds loading and then spawned you outside, but clipped inside the stairs.
I theorized this was because the player was placed first and then the building loaded on top of him.
I am not sure if Hazelnut found a fix for that.
Last edited by Ralzar on Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

alphaTECH

Post by alphaTECH »

pango wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:40 am
Wouldn't just a having a Z coordinate prevent this from happening?

pango

Post by pango »

Helegad wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:32 am Wouldn't just a having a Z coordinate prevent this from happening?
Kinda. That would be hardcoding its position, so if say, somebody creates a mod that replaces the model of the Direnni Tower, and the model is not exactly the same size, you're back to floating or embedded skyshards...
-- Charles Goodhart

alphaTECH

Post by alphaTECH »

pango wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:01 am
Helegad wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:32 am Wouldn't just a having a Z coordinate prevent this from happening?
Kinda. That would be hardcoding its position, so if say, somebody creates a mod that replaces the model of the Direnni Tower, and the model is not exactly the same size, you're back to floating or embedded skyshards...
True but the model is kinda designed to fit snugly in that spot so it'd most likely end up looking strange anyway.