[MOD]Climates & Cloaks

A curated forum for approved mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Ralzar

[MOD]Climates & Cloaks

Post by Ralzar » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:16 pm

Climates & Cloaks
A mod for adding temperature effects to Daggerfall.

NOTE: Requires build 0.10.12+
Download v0.81

A big THANK YOU to Hazelnut and BadLuckBurt for helping me make this and putting up with all my newbie questions.

Features

Climate
The climate zones shown in the map above all give different levels of heat or cold.

Seasons
Summers are warmer, winters are colder. Spring and Fall is a bit cold.

Weather
Bad weather gives different levels of cold. A cloak protects against rain and snow.

Night
The temperature drops at night. Particularly in the mountains and deserts.

Clothing
What you wear affects your temperature. Warm day? Put on a light shirt, some short pants and your sandals. Cold and rainy? Make sure to put a cloak on. Freezing? Bundle up with everything you have. Tunics, Pants, Boots and two Cloaks.

Armor
Armor pieces give a small increase in warmth. However, when the temperature starts getting high, the amount of warmth armor produces increases exponentially. This effect can be reduced by covering your armor with a cloak.

Nudity Penalty
If you strip off all armor and clothing on legs and chest, you may start taking extra cold/heat damage from sunburn or frostbite. Does not apply to Argonians and Khajiit.

Bare Feet Penalty
If you go barefoot in extreme temperatures, you will start to take damage from it. When this effect kicks in is based on your Endurance, Race and Class Resistances.

Race
Nords and Bretons prefer the cold. (But Nords also have Resistance to Frost)
High/Wood Elves and Khajiit are neutral.
Redguard and Dark Elves prefer the heat.
Argonians love heat and hate cold. They are affected slower but harder by temperature effects.

Class Resistances
Critical Weakness, Low Tolerance, Resistance and Immunity to Fire/Frost drastically alters how much cold or warmth your character can handle.

Status Text
A rolling text at the top of the screen informs you if you are too hot or cold. There are several levels which indicates how severe the problem is.

Check the weather
Looking up at the sky will make text appear, describing the general weather temperature at the moment. So you can consider what measures you need to take.

Houses
The mods effects are deactivated while inside a house.

Dungeons
Climate and seasons have their effects reduced inside dungeons while the other environmental effects are deactivated.

Grace Period
The mod does not affect you in a range close to the middle. This allows you some wiggle room for clothing and armor without having to constantly micro-manage your inventory.

Fatigue
When too hot or cold, you will start losing fatigue. With the text:
"It's too hot for you here..." or "A chill rolls through you..."

Attribute Debuffs
When the temperature gets more extreme, it will start slowly debuffing all attributes except Luck and switch the text to:
"Heat stroke is setting in..." or "It's miserably cold here..."

Damage
When the temperature gets extreme, you will start to lose health. The text changes to:
"You feel like you're burning up!" or "Your teeth are chattering uncontrollably!"
With an added: "You cannot go on much longer in this weather..."

0 Fatigue Damage
If you hit 0 Fatigue, you start taking damage. This is mostly implemented to avoid some instances where you can continue playing with 0 fatigue through a bug.
Last edited by Ralzar on Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:03 pm, edited 37 times in total.

Ralzar

Re: [MOD]Climates & Cloaks

Post by Ralzar » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:16 pm

Plans

Fluctuating Temperature
At the moment, the temperature in a climate during a season is static except for rain/snow. I might implement a chance that the temperature is warmer/cooler for a while. Maybe with a text prompt.

Items
Implementing some items for reducing heat/cold. Water bottles? Campfires?

Settings
Implement mod settings so users can activate/deactivate effects. Perhaps even adjust how extreme the effects are.

Review debuffs
I will probably be constantly tweaking what kind of effect the different features have. And if the debuffs should affect more/less attributes or other parts of the character.

Water
Swimming in water should be a big cold effect. But then I would have to consider drying time? And that clothes do not warm you in water? One of the arguments in favour of it is that it would allow you to jump into any bodies of water you find in the desert to cool you down.

Thermometer
Implement some kind of UI indicator for how hot or cold it is. Somewhat redundant as you can currently simply look up at the sky to get some general information on weather temperature.

Accumulating heat/cold
This will require some heavy rewriting of the code, but I can see how to make heat/cold build up in the character over time. Where it would naturally build up faster if the temperature is more extreme.

Armor Material
Have different armor materials generate different amounts of heat.
Last edited by Ralzar on Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:21 am, edited 20 times in total.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:42 pm

At Ralzar's request, joyfully moving this to Released Mods :)

Merlord

Post by Merlord » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:10 am

Looking good! Any plans for camping equipment? Campfires, tents, bedrolls etc? Holding a torch could provide some heat as well, especially useful in those cold dungeons :D

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:19 am

Merlord wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:10 am
Looking good! Any plans for camping equipment? Campfires, tents, bedrolls etc? Holding a torch could provide some heat as well, especially useful in those cold dungeons :D
Thank you :D

I want to introduce stuff like that, but it would require a whole different set of skills compared to what I've made so far. I have yet to figure out how to introduce new items into the game, which might get easier to mod in later in the development of DFU when more code is exposed to modding.
The most obvious thing is just a "waterskin" or "bottle of water". These would act much like potions that gave you some immunity to the heat for a while.
For cold though? Torches seems a bit weird as a way to warm yourself. What I would REALLY like would be a bedroll or firewood item that you used in your inventory. When you did, it dropped a fireplace or tent on the ground that you could click on to sleep without debuffs. (Reminds me that I have to check that my mod doesn't allready turn off during sleep by mistake).
Alternatively, have ingame light sources reduce cold. So standing near fireplaces, torches etc would naturally help.
Other than that, only "warming" item I can think of is bottles of liquor :D

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:03 am

Congratulations on making this a reality :) Thank you

BadLuckBurt

Post by BadLuckBurt » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:30 am

Congratulations! And thanks for the mention, always a pleasure to see other unleash the power of code :D I'm gonna give this a shot tonight.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:47 am

BadLuckBurt wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:30 am
I'm gonna give this a shot tonight.
Hopfully it works :D
It crashed my old build but worked as intended when I downloaded 0.10.12

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:10 pm

Congrats! This is the kind of mod I've been waiting for - can't wait to see where this goes! More immersion mods the better! :D

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:01 pm

Added a small update. There is now a +/-5 grace window where the mod does not affect you, so you do not have to micro-manage clothing to hit that exact sweet spot of 0 debuff.

Edit: and damage when hitting the debuff roof.