[MOD] Climates & Calories

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Ralzar

Re: [MOD] Climates & Cloaks

Post by Ralzar »

Just realized that the new advice logic has messed up dungeon temperatures. It no longer adjusts correctly. Particularly, armor is heated as if it was outside.
I will fix this in the next release. While at it, I think I'll make sure night&day and weather has no effect on dungeon temps.

L57

Post by L57 »

Yep, apparently there is some weirdness in dungeons with this mod. I always have to undress some clothes under the armor in dungeons. At first I thought it's intended to be that warm there, for Breton and especially Nord. Good to see it will be fixed soon.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Oh yeah, and I've got to implement some swimming/wading checks.

I've seen a fews cases of people swimming and getting "The air in here is warm." :D
Also, getting their feet damaged while wading barefoot.

Small extra function I thought of while helping develop the starting equipment module for LootRealism recently:
The game starts with the backstory that you were in a shipwreck and just managed to climb into a cave before a mud slide sealed you in.

So why do you start dry?

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

L57 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:04 am Yep, apparently there is some weirdness in dungeons with this mod. I always have to undress some clothes under the armor in dungeons. At first I thought it's intended to be that warm there, for Breton and especially Nord. Good to see it will be fixed soon.
Note that if you are in a cold area, this generally makes sense. You are dressed for the cold outdoors, then when you come inside you need to take off some clothes.

Basically what the dungeon function is intended to do is take the current climate temperature and halve it. So if it's cold it gets less cold. If its warm, it gets less warm.

L57

Post by L57 »

Backstory to me looks a bit confusing. Earlier I always thought that PC rested by the fire, and when he woke up, the entrance collapsed. Have to check how it was exactly described in Manual.
I'm playing with the mod today and the only thing I've run into that was really weird was wading through a pool in sentinel and my sandals breaking.
Probably my evidence about sudden clothes/shoes degrading is also related to this. Weather checks seem to get confused when PC is walking through small ponds in towns.
Note that if you are in a cold area, this generally makes sense. You are dressed for the cold outdoors, then when you come inside you need to take off some clothes.
Being Breton, my PC has full set of chain armor. Get into the dungeon in Daggerfall (it's springtime currently), undress cloaks inside, and then game still requires to take off your shirt or pants/tights. It doesn't always work this way, but pretty often.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

L57 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:54 am Being Breton, my PC has full set of chain armor. Get into the dungeon in Daggerfall (it's springtime currently), undress cloaks inside, and then game still requires to take off your shirt or pants/tights. It doesn't always work this way, but pretty often.
Hm yeah. THat might be a bit much. I think that's because there's something off with the calculation. I might actually start doing something slightly fancier with it in the future.
I'm thinking dungeons generally should be cooler than outside. But when in a really cold place it's stil preferrable to be outside.

So maybe something like this:
It is allways "day" in the dungeons.
There is no weather in the dungeons.
If you are in a hot climate, the temperature is halved in dungeons.
If you are in a cold climate, the temperature stays the same.

L57

Post by L57 »

Ralzar wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:28 pm So maybe something like this:
It is allways "day" in the dungeons.
There is no weather in the dungeons.
If you are in a hot climate, the temperature is halved in dungeons.
If you are in a cold climate, the temperature stays the same.
Well I'm not an expert in this regard, but as far as I know, in general, if you live somewhere with kinda european/northern climate, it should be like that: during winter, shallow (not deep) caves are usually warmer than the outside. During summer it is otherwise. Also take into account that there are no winds in the dungeons (at least by default, as we imagine it).

But if you go down a few meters deeper, the temperature is the same year-round — approximately +10 celcius. But caves usually have high humidity, so subjectively it feels colder (probably much colder) than it actually is. All dungeons in DF are very deep, even small crypts, so I think it would be quite realistic to keep +10 C with high humidity rule in mind.

I'd suggest again to make heat and humidity level dependent on the type of dungeon. Majority of dungeons should be quite uncomfortable (probably 'chilly' or 'shivering' status if you are dressed for summer), but volcanic caves might be hot.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Yeah, I would have liked to do temperature by dungeon type, but as long as there's no visual indicators for what kind of dungeon it is, I'll leave it off. The mod is confusing enough as it is :D

L57

Post by L57 »

I always prefer to avoid water diving as long as possible, so this question pop-ups only now... :D but how long am I supposed to rest to get completely dry? Will my attributes and stamina restore (minus normal decrease) as soon as I have dried?

Now water exploring seems more dangerous and even more uncomfortable than ever, since PC apparently gets cold under water qute quickly...

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

The more wet you get, the more you get cooled down. In addition, it starts removing the heating effects of clothes.
The colder you are, the more debuffed.
Drying happens over time. If it is warm, you dry faster.
While resting or indoors you dry much faster.
I don’t have exact numbers, but I think it tales a couple of hours to dry from being soaking wet.