[MOD] Climates & Calories

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
L57

Re: [MOD]Climates & Cloaks

Post by L57 »

Ralzar wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:59 pm Great, I'll take a look at it later and see if I agree with my mod :D
At first I thought the reason is thay this PC wears default clothes from the very start of the game. I did not take any loot, just ran to the exit, still 1st level almost without any expirience. Once I noticed this behavior I bought other clothes. However, open tunic apparently still behaves the same way (I have it unequipped). Which is kinda strange.

Or maybe the reason that PC is still 1st level, but it must be really obscure one. AFAIK 1st level character behaves a bit differently gameplay-wise (no diseases, for example), so maybe it has some unintentional effect here too?

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

L57 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:01 pm
Ralzar wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:59 pm Great, I'll take a look at it later and see if I agree with my mod :D
At first I thought the reason is thay this PC wears default clothes from the very start of the game. I did not take any loot, just ran to the exit, still 1st level almost without any expirience. Once I noticed this behavior I bought other clothes. However, open tunic apparently still behaves the same way (I have it unequipped). Which is kinda strange.

Or maybe the reason that PC is still 1st level, but it must be really obscure one. AFAIK 1st level character behaves a bit differently gameplay-wise (no diseases, for example), so maybe it has some unintentional effect here too?
Tested it just now.

The general warmth of Nords is what caused you to be so warm. You would actually have been colder in armor, as the temperature is low enough that armor will start cooling you down a bit.
I checked out the short shirt and it was apparently not part of the check to see if you had anything on your chest. I think my original idea was that the variant that more like a top with the front allmost completely unbuttoned was so bare that it does not count as cover. However, that was under the assumption that you could change how you wore it. Basically button it up if it got cold.
I'll add these short shirts for both men and women to the check so they count as protection.

I think I'll also take a look at when the naked effect kicks in. I sort of imagine nords being able to handle the cold. Particularly with their frost resistance.

L57

Post by L57 »

Ralzar wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:07 pm Tested it just now.

The general warmth of Nords is what caused you to be so warm. You would actually have been colder in armor, as the temperature is low enough that armor will start cooling you down a bit.
I checked out the short shirt and it was apparently not part of the check to see if you had anything on your chest. I think my original idea was that the variant that more like a top with the front allmost completely unbuttoned was so bare that it does not count as cover. However, that was under the assumption that you could change how you wore it. Basically button it up if it got cold.
I'll add these short shirts for both men and women to the check so they count as protection.

I think I'll also take a look at when the naked effect kicks in. I sort of imagine nords being able to handle the cold. Particularly with their frost resistance.
Thank you!

Interesting, I hypothesized that armor lowered the temperature, but thought that effect changes must be too abrupt for this to be true. Probably needs some tweaking regarding these sudden changes? In my opinion, effect should change smoother. It's hard to foresee everything, of course, and requires some testing.

The different effects depending on how you wear the same shirt is definitely a great idea. As I understand, taking off the hood affects both the warmth and how fast you're getting wet in the rain?

I like your approach in general and competely agree regarding Nord's cold resistance, just don't forget they still are not completely resistant and should sometimes feel uncomfortable too - at least when frost beats really hard. :D

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

L57 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:04 pm I like your approach in general and competely agree regarding Nord's cold resistance, just don't forget they still are not completely resistant and should sometimes feel uncomfortable too - at least when frost beats really hard. :D
Oh absolutely. The only reason you even ran into this is the nords combined natural warmth and resistance to frost. It makes them think of everything but really severe winter as "Nice and cool." :D

However, your save made me more aware of how flawed the foot damage and naked damage was. So these have been reworked. If you start that save with the new version I'm planning to roll out later today, he will complain of cold toes :D

Also added a couple of mod settings for how often you get text info and if you only want text info for severe effects.

Edit: And I think I'm making Nords slightly cooler. So they are identical with Bretons. Just with frost resistance added. The Frost Resistance + Race Temperature made them a bit absurd.
Last edited by Ralzar on Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

L57

Post by L57 »

However, your save made me more aware of how flawed the foot damage and naked damage was. So these have been reworked. If you start that save with the new version I'm planning to roll out later today, he will complain of cold toes :D
This is great! These bare foot / bare nude effects definitely require some careful handling :D

Glad my feedback is useful. :D
Edit: And I think I'm making Nords slightly cooler. So they are identical with Bretons. Just with frost resistance added. The Frost Resistance + Race Temperature made them a bit absurd.
Just wondering, if I understand correctly that vanilla frost resistance feature affects warmth feedback? Does it mean that you can get yourself warmer if you cast frost resistance spell on yourself, for example? I didn’t even think about it, but it must be cool

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

v1.0.1 of Climates & Cloaks out now.

More mod settings.
Redesigned armor heating/cooling.
Fixed Naked/Feet penalties.
Added some missing shirts.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

L57 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:22 pm
Just wondering, if I understand correctly that vanilla frost resistance feature affects warmth feedback? Does it mean that you can get yourself warmer if you cast frost resistance spell on yourself, for example? I didn’t even think about it, but it must be cool
I wish. When I wrote that code I wrote it for checking character fire/frost resistance, but I could not get it to actually be affected by fire/frost resistance potions. So at the moment, as far as I know, it only uses the resistance flags in the class info. So if you make a class with Immunity to Fire you can pretty much wander around the desert with little averse effects, but magic fire resistance might not give the same result.

That said, I only tested with potions, not spells. And Hazelnut didn't seem 100% sure that it wasn't the potion implementation that was the problem. It's not like a lot of people use resistance potions, so if there was something wrong with them it might go unnoticed.

L57

Post by L57 »

I plan to use such potions and spells quite extensively during DFU walkthrough, so I will able to provide some feedback regarding this, I think. This will not happen soon though

Anyway, it would be rather decorative feature mostly, although pleasant one. You don't waste you mana points to warm yourself if you can simply get dressed for the weather :)

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

L57 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:18 pm Anyway, it would be rather decorative feature mostly, although pleasant one. You don't waste you mana points to warm yourself if you can simply get dressed for the weather :)
Well, I'm planning to implement cloth decay in harsh weather, so it might be a good idea to have some emergency supplies handy in the future ;)

L57

Post by L57 »

Ralzar wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:46 pm Well, I'm planning to implement cloth decay in harsh weather, so it might be a good idea to have some emergency supplies handy in the future ;)
Haha, that's the spirit! :lol:

By the way, it could be useful even now. Just imagine you're Nord who was ambushed in the desert. Spells/potions aren't intended to be used often this way, but they definitely can be handy in such unusual moments.