[MOD] Climates & Calories

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Rand

Re: [MOD]Climates & Cloaks

Post by Rand »

Excellent. I love immersion mods. Good work!

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

Hey!

I just wanted to let you know how awesome your mod is!! I really love it so far!
Is it possible that armors and running/jumping dont impact the temperatur? Only when I put on clothes I can spot a difference in the stats.

I also came to encounter a possible issues but also it might not be related to your mod maybe. Anyway, I will just state it here, so in case someone else experience the same issues, it might get traced down easier if it is related to this mod:

- After playing for one or two hours, suddenly my walking speed got reduced drastically when leaving a store in daggerfall city (without being related to overweight, since I sold everything I had and put all my money into the bank account. Also my character was perfectly healthy and stats were normal).
Could this be related to your mod? It never occured before and after deactivating the mod and loading the game again, the bug was gone. Also when I was running, my running speed seemed to be increased, compensating for the slower walking speed. Same on the horse. It was a funny but weird experience, hehe.

Maybe it is related to the mod or maybe to another one, no idea. There are so many mechanics running in the background that due to the lack of visual and audible feedback it can be hard to tell what exactly is the cause.
Does your mod change anything about walking speed?
In Julianos we Trust.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Glad to hear you are enjoying the mod :)

I can’t imagine how the mod would affect walk/run speed as it only debuffs strength and endurance.

The mod does not currently care about armor worn, only clothes. I considered including armor, but I suspect it would become too complicated to mod and for the player to understand.

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

Thank you for the quick reply!

Your mod inspired me to give modding for Daggerfall a try myself. Downloading Unity 2018.2.21f1 right now, as I struggled importing the project into newer version (got an error concerning the font and couldnt run the project, so I thought giving the original version of unity in which the project was created a shot.)
Which Unity version are you using for modding?
In Julianos we Trust.

BadLuckBurt

Post by BadLuckBurt »

Daniel87 wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:02 pm Downloading Unity 2018.2.21f1 right now, as I struggled importing the project into newer version (got an error concerning the font and couldnt run the project, so I thought giving the original version of unity in which the project was created a shot.)
Which Unity version are you using for modding?
That's the only version that'll work for DFU atm. Interkarma plans to move to the newer Unity later on but for now we're all on Unity 2018.2.21f1 so you should be good when the download finishes.

- edit

@Ralzar, giving the mod a spin right now, neat stuff :) I had a bit of message spam saying I was too warm when I loaded a save. It stopped after a second or two. But apart from that, it's working fine, good job! I look foward to seeing where you'll take this
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Interkarma posted this handy instruction a while a go to set up the modding environment correctly:
  • Unity, specifically Unity 2018.2.21f1 from here.
  • Clone of the source code from GitHub. This contains all of the code and internal tools for the game, such as the Mod Builder.
  • A code editor. I recommend VSCode if you don't already have a preference.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

BadLuckBurt wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:05 pm I had a bit of message spam saying I was too warm when I loaded a save. It stopped after a second or two.
I'm getting the same. I assume that part of the mods script gets run through several times during loading. I have seen it happen when fast traveling when the script had the text run with shorter intervals. I wonder if there's some way to stagger the mod until you have finished loading. Maybe a popup text informing you of the weather that freezes the mod until you click it.

BadLuckBurt

Post by BadLuckBurt »

Ralzar wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:35 pm
BadLuckBurt wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:05 pm I had a bit of message spam saying I was too warm when I loaded a save. It stopped after a second or two.
I'm getting the same. I assume that part of the mods script gets run through several times during loading. I have seen it happen when fast traveling when the script had the text run with shorter intervals. I wonder if there's some way to stagger the mod until you have finished loading. Maybe a popup text informing you of the weather that freezes the mod until you click it.
You could try some debugging with Debug.Log to see why it triggers that many times. There might also be an event that signals that the entire game has loaded that you could maybe hook into to delay the messages. It's just a minor thing, I admit I was a bit worried when I saw them scrolling by that fast but then they slowed down gradually and stopped.
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Ah, I think I know why that happens Ralzar. The magic rounds you're using to do message display are caught up on when time is skipped IIRC. That seems the likely culprit. Pretty easy to fix, and I'll help you with that if you can wait a little for me.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Merlord

Post by Merlord »

Ralzar wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:19 am
I want to introduce stuff like that, but it would require a whole different set of skills compared to what I've made so far. I have yet to figure out how to introduce new items into the game, which might get easier to mod in later in the development of DFU when more code is exposed to modding.
The most obvious thing is just a "waterskin" or "bottle of water". These would act much like potions that gave you some immunity to the heat for a while.
For cold though? Torches seems a bit weird as a way to warm yourself. What I would REALLY like would be a bedroll or firewood item that you used in your inventory. When you did, it dropped a fireplace or tent on the ground that you could click on to sleep without debuffs. (Reminds me that I have to check that my mod doesn't allready turn off during sleep by mistake).
Alternatively, have ingame light sources reduce cold. So standing near fireplaces, torches etc would naturally help.
Other than that, only "warming" item I can think of is bottles of liquor :D
I've been working on a Morrowind survival mod called Ashfall for the last couple of years. Not sure how much of it would translate to Daggerfall, but it might give you some inspiration. The way camping works in Ashfall is you swing an axe at a tree to harvest wood, place it on the ground and light it to make a campfire. This provides warmth, and allows you to cook food and boil water. Bedrolls provide warmth while sleeping outdoors at night, and tents provide shelter from the rain. There's needs mechanics which also interact with the temperature mechanics: staying well fed provides a bonus against the cold, while staying hydrated provides a bonus against heat.