[MOD] Climates & Calories

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Lokkrin Zhataros

Re: [MOD] Climates & Calories

Post by Lokkrin Zhataros »

Ralzar wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:04 pm
Lokkrin Zhataros wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:33 pm Also, the food deterioration function makes sense now that you explained it. The more food deteriorates the less useful it it.
Think of it like "Cutting off the green bits" :D
Haha, I like it! :D
--
Lol, yeah that makes sense, so basically C&C kinda became a bit of a mish-mash of various ideas with the general goal of making tedious travel more 'risky'. I really like the combination of Clothing Management based on Climate/Weather, Campfire+Tent for shelter from natural elements and creatures, and Tavern Food giving temporary buffs. It fits very well together. :)
--
At that point then, my only suggestion is to make Water and Waterskins usable and useful in all climates/weather. In temperate/cooler climates it would be used much less, so you would only want to keep 1 or 2 filled waterskins with you at all times. In warmer/hoter climates you would need more water and waterskins available, pretty much like it is now.

To me it just makes sense and it would balance out and fit in better with the Hunting/Food Management system that is seemingly inconsistent with the rest of the mod.

Just thoughts.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

I'll have to test a bit to make sure it doesn't get too tedious. At the moment I have two alternatives:

1:
You regularly automatically drink a bit from the water skin to keep hydrated.
You can also use the water skin to take a big swig of water and gain heat protection for a while.
Problem: More to fiddle with and players might not grasp that they don't have to keep manually chugging water all the time.

2:
You regularly automatically drink a bit from the water skin to stay hydrated.
As your heat increases, the amount you drink increases to keep it down.
Problem: Player might not notice that water consumption has increased, which could be because of how he's dressed, time of year etc. Leading to unexpectedly run out of water.

Speaking of hot weather, my current character is a Dark Elf with Resistance To Fire. He's riding around the desert dressed like this, with no adverse effects. He doesn't even need a water skin to keep cool :D
DEarmor.PNG
DEarmor.PNG (240.84 KiB) Viewed 2910 times

NikitaTheTanner

Post by NikitaTheTanner »

I think that as long as the player is notified of how much water they have left on each chug, it shouldn't be much of an issue. For example, something like:
"You take a sip of water. Still a gallon left, should last for 5 days with current conditions"

Lokkrin Zhataros

NikitaTheTanner wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:04 am I think that as long as the player is notified of how much water they have left on each chug, it shouldn't be much of an issue. For example, something like:
"You take a sip of water. Still a gallon left, should last for 5 days with current conditions"
Agreed. What does C&C do to tell the player they are hungry and in need of food? It pops up with notifications telling you so, sometimes stopping travel (if using Travel Options) to give you the chance to feed yourself. Same could be applied to Thirst.
--
Edit: Lol yeah, it seems that Dark Elves are the ideal race when in the desert regions. I have a Dark Elf who is in Wrothgarian Mtns. It's a bit challenging to keep warm, even in summer months.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Lokkrin Zhataros wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:14 am Edit: Lol yeah, it seems that Dark Elves are the ideal race when in the desert regions. I have a Dark Elf who is in Wrothgarian Mtns. It's a bit challenging to keep warm, even in summer months.
This guy has Weakness To Frost as well. Winter in Mountains is... pretty close to impossible. I had to wait with Main Quest parts until winter had passed to be able to get to places like Scourg Barrow.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

I've coded the first attempt at a hydration function.

The way it works is that you have a thirst value that increases over time. When it hits a certain point, you drink from your water skin, which resets it.. How fast it increases depends on how hot it is.
Once you run out, the thirst just keeps increasing and the mod translates this number into fatigue loss and attribute debuffs.

Having water still has a cooling effect if you are warm. So if you are somewhere hot you'll be hit both by thirst and that you now lack the means to cool yourself.

Eccer

Post by Eccer »

^ Cool dude!

NikitaTheTanner

Post by NikitaTheTanner »

Yep, sounds about right! Sweating reduces your heat, but you dehydrate faster, so it makes sense for it to grow faster in hot weather, and it shouldn't be too micromanage-y

Lokkrin Zhataros

Ralzar wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:28 pm I've coded the first attempt at a hydration function.

The way it works is that you have a thirst value that increases over time. When it hits a certain point, you drink from your water skin, which resets it.. How fast it increases depends on how hot it is.
Once you run out, the thirst just keeps increasing and the mod translates this number into fatigue loss and attribute debuffs.

Having water still has a cooling effect if you are warm. So if you are somewhere hot you'll be hit both by thirst and that you now lack the means to cool yourself.
Excellent! Looks good to me! :) Now adding notifications to make sure the player knows when they have Run Out of Water and need to Refill their Waterskins, or even simply find a Watersource to drink from if they don't have a waterskin available.

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

Hey im not sure why but my stamina keeps draining and im not sure why. Its not poison or disease, im warm enough and well fed/rested. I cant tell if its definitely this mod but i dont know what else it would be.

Also i think the food runs out too quickly. It should either keep for longer or you should be able to stop and instigate a hunt to get food. I know you can get prompted but it happens really infrequently.

thanks