[MOD] Climates & Calories

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Ralzar

[MOD] Climates & Calories

Post by Ralzar »

Climates & Calories
A mod for adding temperature effects to Daggerfall.

Download

A big THANK YOU to Hazelnut and BadLuckBurt for helping me make this and putting up with all my newbie questions.

Main.png
Main.png (513.49 KiB) Viewed 16508 times

Features

Status Text
A rolling text at the top of the screen informs you if the mod is affecting you in any way.
There is some Khajiit-specific text and a full set of Argonian-specific text.

Status Popup
The Status function brings up a textbox informing you of the current situation and any advice about how to deal with it.

"Temperature Effects"
When too hot or cold, you will start losing fatigue. This starts as an almost unnoticable effect and then scales up.
When the temperature gets severe, it will start slowly debuffing all attributes except Luck.
When the temperature gets extreme, you will start to lose health.

Climate, Seasons, Weather, Time
The climate zones shown in the map (see screenshots), as well as what month it is, the weather and time of day affects how warm or cold it is.

Water
Swimming, wading, rain and snow will make you wet. The wetter you get, the colder you get.

Clothing
What you wear affects your temperature. Warm day? Cloaks protects against rain and snow.

Armor
Metal armor starts to heat up in extreme sunlight. Counteract this effect by covering the armor with a cloak. If it is cold, the metal will get cold as well.

Race
Nords and Bretons prefer the cold. (But Nords also have Resistance to Frost)
High/Wood Elves and Khajiit are neutral.
Redguard and Dark Elves prefer the heat.
Argonians love heat and hate cold. They are affected slower but harder by temperature effects.
Vampires gain resistance to cold and take increased damage from hot sunlight.
Werewolves/boars gain some resistance to heat and cold and are immune to all temperature effects when in beastform.

Class Resistances
Critical Weakness, Low Tolerance, Resistance and Immunity to Fire/Frost drastically alters how much cold or warmth your character can handle.

Check the weather
Looking up at the sky for a few seconds will make text appear, describing what your character thinks of the current weather. (This also works in dungeons by looking up at the ceiling.)

Clothing Damage
The more extreme the temperature is, the high the chance that a random item will receive damage. Leather Armor is also affected by this.

Armor Rust
When wet, you armor might start rusting.

Camping Equipment
Buy Camping Equipment so you can set up a tent while in the wilderness. This will protect you against temperature effects while resting.

Starvation
Going days without food will start to wear you down.

Food
Eat at taverns or buy food items in stores to bring on your journey.

Rations
Make sure to bring one or more sack of rations on long journeys. While not as invigorating as fresh food, it will keep you from starving.

Hunting
When traveling in the wilderness, if you are Lucky you might spot animal tracks or other sources of food.
Last edited by Ralzar on Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:09 am, edited 47 times in total.

Ralzar

Re: [MOD]Climates & Cloaks

Post by Ralzar »

Plans

Settings
Remove some settings and add a difficulty setting.
Add more settings.

Hunting Popup Suspense
Split the hunting text into two popup boxes, one with the hunting description then a second with the success/failure text.

Food Poisoning
Eating rotten food having a risk of making you sick.

Prison
Make sure the player does not freeze or starve to death while in prison.

Season-based hunting
Make hunting events take season into account. To avoid describing stuff like grass if it's the middle of winter.

Vampire Food
Have vampires not need normal food, but gain buffs from killing enemies.

Advice text improvements
Add more advice about stuff to get to make things easier. For example "You should buy some shoes."

Clock when hunting
When a hunting event pops up, it should display the current time, so it's possible to consider if you want to wast an hour or two on a hunt or not.

Proximity Temperature
If player is close to a heat or cold source, have this effect temperature.

Review debuffs
I will probably be constantly tweaking what kind of effect the different features have. And if the debuffs should affect more/less attributes or other parts of the character.

Thermometer
Implement some kind of UI indicator for how hot or cold it is. Somewhat redundant as you can currently simply look up at the sky to get some general information on weather temperature.

Travel map Indicators
Add some kind of indicator to the travel map so you can see what kind of temperature different regions have.
Last edited by Ralzar on Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:44 pm, edited 65 times in total.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

At Ralzar's request, joyfully moving this to Released Mods :)

Merlord

Post by Merlord »

Looking good! Any plans for camping equipment? Campfires, tents, bedrolls etc? Holding a torch could provide some heat as well, especially useful in those cold dungeons :D

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Merlord wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:10 am Looking good! Any plans for camping equipment? Campfires, tents, bedrolls etc? Holding a torch could provide some heat as well, especially useful in those cold dungeons :D
Thank you :D

I want to introduce stuff like that, but it would require a whole different set of skills compared to what I've made so far. I have yet to figure out how to introduce new items into the game, which might get easier to mod in later in the development of DFU when more code is exposed to modding.
The most obvious thing is just a "waterskin" or "bottle of water". These would act much like potions that gave you some immunity to the heat for a while.
For cold though? Torches seems a bit weird as a way to warm yourself. What I would REALLY like would be a bedroll or firewood item that you used in your inventory. When you did, it dropped a fireplace or tent on the ground that you could click on to sleep without debuffs. (Reminds me that I have to check that my mod doesn't allready turn off during sleep by mistake).
Alternatively, have ingame light sources reduce cold. So standing near fireplaces, torches etc would naturally help.
Other than that, only "warming" item I can think of is bottles of liquor :D

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Congratulations on making this a reality :) Thank you

BadLuckBurt

Post by BadLuckBurt »

Congratulations! And thanks for the mention, always a pleasure to see other unleash the power of code :D I'm gonna give this a shot tonight.
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

BadLuckBurt wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:30 am I'm gonna give this a shot tonight.
Hopfully it works :D
It crashed my old build but worked as intended when I downloaded 0.10.12

Corsair

Post by Corsair »

Congrats! This is the kind of mod I've been waiting for - can't wait to see where this goes! More immersion mods the better! :D

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Added a small update. There is now a +/-5 grace window where the mod does not affect you, so you do not have to micro-manage clothing to hit that exact sweet spot of 0 debuff.

Edit: and damage when hitting the debuff roof.